Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part IX

Besides Forwards and Byram, which defender excites you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
He played more of a perimeter game earlier in the process, so he had to develop some snarl & show that he could play in the dirtier areas before he could really rise into that range...which he did this season with aplomb. He also likely needs more time than Turcotte to be NHL ready, and he could still end up a winger if a team rushes him & plants him on the wing in the bigs without giving him enough time to develop as a center.

So there's a little more risk due to his longer timeline & there's some positional risk with him staying at C...especially given our franchise's impulse to err on the side of rushing kids rather than letting them over-ripen.

I also wouldn't be surprised if his potential doesn't get under-played a bit because Turcotte produced sexier per game #s, and a lot of folks on HF equate production as a prospect with offensive upside/skill, far too readily...see Pod v Dorofeyev discussions on HF vs on russian hockey boards.

This works both ways though. Some are going to hype up his potential because of all his highlight reel plays, meanwhile they downplay Turcotte because he is considerably less flashy. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. I think Zegras has 1C potential, the team that drafts him will have to be patient however.

Reactions: AvsGuy and avsfan09

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
Speaking of Farabee, how has he done this season? I didn't pay attention to him at all, but was really high on him last year. I wanted any of Denisenko / Farabee / Kravtsov / Bokk at our pick.

He had a great year at BU. Solid PPG player as a freshman.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I was meaning stats-wise between Jost and Farabee that you said to look up lol. As far as playing style between Jost and Zebras I completely agree with you. You did see a lot more of Jost’s playmaking at UND that hasn’t really come out yet in the NHL (if it ever does), but yeah, Zebras definitely has an advantage in the IQ department but I think that’s a lot to do with his creativity also. I think Jost does have a much better 2-way game than Trevor has shown thus far though, not that he couldn’t develop that though

Skill sets trump stats all the time here. Jost put up good numbers right next to one of the better young goal scorers in the NHL. Boeser opened up a lot of ice for Jost to operate, and along with that, college teams aren't as structured and certainly aren't as fast as in the NHL. The time and space that Jost used to enjoy isn't there now and Jost doesn't have the skating ability to create his own space. Whereas a direct comparison to Zegras is that first, he doesn't need space to pull off what he does. He makes consistent plays in tight areas. Second, when he needs to create space his small area skating is very good and his burst is very good. He can make a quick deke and a stride and have the defenders off of him. Zegras' skill set is just superior to Jost's and it really isn't all that close. The defense gets thrown out and yeah Zegras isn't refined defensively, but a player with his sandpaper, skating, and IQ is bound to develop a defensive game. It just makes him a bit more raw. He isn't going to hurt anybody defensively now though either.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
BSN is garbage. Lol they wanted to take Boldy at 4. Only thing that makes them insiders is their location in the state of Colorado.

And turcotte is like Mack?
And Mack is a hound on the puck?
Not sure I agree with either.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He came through very young and he hasn't really taken off the way you expected. It's his third season at senior level and he looks the same as he did his first 10 games. Maybe a red flag there.

Can certainly agree with that. When you get later in the first and into the second, you're really okay with getting a guy who might just top out as a middle 6 sort or even bottom 6. There is a lot I love about the kid, but just have some reservations that keep me from going all in at 16. Especially with some of the other players around in the area. If we were talking 23, I'd probably be all aboard the Hoglander train.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This works both ways though. Some are going to hype up his potential because of all his highlight reel plays, meanwhile they downplay Turcotte because he is considerably less flashy. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. I think Zegras has 1C potential, the team that drafts him will have to be patient however.

True, although I think Turcotte's highlights standout enough in their own right for the PPG to influence people who haven't watched these kids much more than that extra flash. But that's a fair point.
He had a great year at BU. Solid PPG player as a freshman.

I meant in terms of skill-development, rather than the NCAA-results he's getting. I watched some BU games this year, but paid no attention to him to notice how his game is coming along.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Can certainly agree with that. When you get later in the first and into the second, you're really okay with getting a guy who might just top out as a middle 6 sort or even bottom 6. There is a lot I love about the kid, but just have some reservations that keep me from going all in at 16. Especially with some of the other players around in the area. If we were talking 23, I'd probably be all aboard the Hoglander train.
Hoglander has skill and speed to burn, but the production isn't there. What is this a function of? Could it be IQ? Selfishness? I honestly don't know why his production doesn't match the way he plays on the ice.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
But why would a rebuilding team trade a 24 year old, two-way 2C that's locked up for a very friendly price for another 4 seasons to upgrade their own pick by 6 spots. Barrie may be a tradeable asset for them by the deadline, or they may re-sign him, but he's an iffy asset for a rebuilding team. It just doesn't make sense for the Canucks.

The reason the Canucks do it is if they’re in love with their hometown kid Byram and think he’ll be a star. Would give them a core of Peterson, Boeser, Hughes and Byram, which is more balanced and has the potential to be elite.

I can understand them not necessarily believing that Barrie (also another BC guy) fits in with their rebuild, so I’d consider swapping out Barrie for 16oa+

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I'd love to get one of Turrcotte, Zegras, Dach with #4 and one of Broberg or Knight with #16. Swing for the damn fences with our first round, they have time to develop and we have the chance to be adding great cheap assets in the midst of us becoming a contender.

My concerns with Turrcotte are if he'll have injury problems similar to Praize throughout his career due to how he plays.

My concerns with Zegras tend to be his boom bust potential, he seems to have good speed and skill, but will be put it together to be an elite player

Dach seems to somewhat go invisible in games based on my limited viewings and prospect notes. He can be absolutely dominant, but can also disappear for long stretches in time.

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
I think Dach is one of those guys, like Zegras, that your opinion on him is going to depend a lot on when you've seen him. Start of the season he looked like a Johansen type--easily pushed around, looked disinterested without the puck. Second half of the season and playoffs you could see more Getzlaf to his game--was more engaged physically, not as easy to knock off the puck, more willing to battle for pucks and go to the dirty areas. He still has a ways to go, but it's nice to see the progress that he's made this season.

I think not going to the u-18s and not getting that kind of exposure as the player he was to end the season is hurting the public consensus on him a little.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think Dach is one of those guys, like Zegras, that your opinion on him is going to depend a lot on when you've seen him. Start of the season he looked like a Johansen type--easily pushed around, looked disinterested without the puck. Second half of the season and playoffs you could see more
Getzlaf to his game--was more engaged physically, not as easy to knock off the puck, more willing to battle for pucks and go to the dirty areas. He still has a ways to go, but it's nice to see the progress that he's made this season.

I think not going to the u-18s and not getting that kind of exposure as the player he was to end the season is hurting the public consensus on him a little.

I'd actually say he started off great, was borderline bad through the whole middle and down the stretch, but turned it on in the playoffs especially as teams keyed in on him.

Reactions: Barklez

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Dach is one of those guys, like Zegras, that your opinion on him is going to depend a lot on when you've seen him. Start of the season he looked like a Johansen type--easily pushed around, looked disinterested without the puck. Second half of the season and playoffs you could see more Getzlaf to his game--was more engaged physically, not as easy to knock off the puck, more willing to battle for pucks and go to the dirty areas. He still has a ways to go, but it's nice to see the progress that he's made this season.

What's funny is when I first saw "a Johansen type" I thought you were referring to his strong start where he was engaged & driving the action...cause that's RyJo's fault to a T, he can be a beast when he wants to be, he just rarely wants to be in the regular season :laugh:

One of my big questions is whether that was just Dach upping the intensity because he had to, like RyJo did right before hitting RFA, or if it was a switch flipping in Dach's head where he realized the intensity he needed to play with moving forward.

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
I'd actually say he started off great, was borderline bad through the whole middle and down the stretch, but turned it on in the playoffs especially as teams keyed in on him.
Not saying he was better or worse, but just different. Lots of the things I see people questioning him on seems more relevant to the player he was at the start of the season and not so much to the player he was to end the season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not saying he was better or worse, but just different. Lots of the things I see people questioning him on seems more relevant to the player he was at the start of the season and not so much to the player he was to end the season.

I'd argue his biggest problem is his intensity and that was a large issue from Dec to March... even into April. While it wasn't an issue in October. IMO people saw his play in the playoffs and thought that was who he was consistently. I don't think there were 4 or 5 games in the whole Jan-March range that player showed up. When Dach is on, it is very easy to fall in love with... when he is off all the red flags are flying.

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
I'd argue his biggest problem is his intensity and that was a large issue from Dec to March... even into April. While it wasn't an issue in October. IMO people saw his play in the playoffs and thought that was who he was consistently. I don't think there were 4 or 5 games in the whole Jan-March range that player showed up. When Dach is on, it is very easy to fall in love with... when he is off all the red flags are flying.
I agree on his consistency. He still needs to work on bringing it every game, still saw him take a night off every 4 or so games in the playoffs, but the overall compete that he showed at the end of his season is encouraging. It's another dimension to his game that he can lean on when he's not able to get by on just on his skill.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I agree on his consistency. He still needs to work on bringing it every game, still saw him take a night off every 4 or so games in the playoffs, but the overall compete that he showed at the end of his season is encouraging. It's another dimension to his game that he can lean on when he's not able to get by on just on his skill.

You see encouraging, I see frustrating... and that is the fundamental difference in how we see it. Some player never grow out of these intensity issues (I'd argue it skews very strongly towards never being figured out). In the cases where they don't, your best case is RyJo. Which don't get me wrong, I love me some RyJo... but he is an incredibly frustrating piece to have. Overpaid and a nonsense player for 60 games a year, but shows up for 20 and the playoffs. A more likely case is Dylan Strome who disappointed his way out of Arizona to maybe be okay in Chicago, but too early to say.

Reactions: BoxOfChocolates

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
“You know what? The goaltenders are interesting,” said Alan Hepple, the Avalanche’s amateur scouting director. “I think it is an important position and we know Spencer Knight inside and out. And if it is the right pick at the right time, then we’ll look at it. But at the same time, you look at Jordan Binnington, who is lighting up for St. Louis here and he was a third-round pick.

“It depends on development and Jordan Binnington was drafted seven years ago, so it’s been a while. With (Justus) Annunen, (Adam) Werner, all the guys that we have, who knows down the road who that guy is going to be?”

Drafting Spencer Knight could be the Avs' long-term answer...

They're not using a mid first round pick on a goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad