Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part IX

Besides Forwards and Byram, which defender excites you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
You see encouraging, I see frustrating... and that is the fundamental difference in how we see it. Some player never grow out of these intensity issues (I'd argue it skews very strongly towards never being figured out). In the cases where they don't, your best case is RyJo. Which don't get me wrong, I love me some RyJo... but he is an incredibly frustrating piece to have. Overpaid and a nonsense player for 60 games a year, but shows up for 20 and the playoffs. A more likely case is Dylan Strome who disappointed his way out of Arizona to maybe be okay in Chicago, but too early to say.
Trust me when I say I know how frustrating Dach can be. My first ever post on HF is me venting on probably the worst game of his career. His consistency issues are the sole reason I finally had to make an account after lurking on here for 10-15 years :laugh:.

With that said, he's shown elements to his game that other similar players plagued with consistency issues haven't (Johansen, Wolski, etc). He's also a guy that seems to be pretty focused and self-aware of what he needs to improve, he definitely knows consistency is his biggest knock. I think it is something that he can get passed, just need to give him the time to work on it.

Reactions: avsfan09

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
I've been critical of whether or not Knight would be worth 16OA, but I've come around to at least where I'd feel indifferent to the pick.

Sounds like they've done their homework on him, so if they see something that they think they can develop and decide to pick him then great, if they don't think he's someone they can develop and decide to pass then also great. The talent is there, I think it is more a question for the Avs goalie development than it is for the Avs scouting.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Drafting Spencer Knight could be the Avs' long-term answer...

They're not using a mid first round pick on a goalie.

I don't disagree with him. Outside of Vasilevsky, 1st round goalies have been a complete crap shoot the last decade-plus.

And, outside of a handful of teams, everyone else has something decent in net.

Unlike the 90's, where having Marty Brodeur was a huge advantage (because the opponent was trotting out someone like Jamie Storr), today an elite goalie hurts you because of the cap space required to retain said goalie.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I'm sold on Turcotte at this point but I really think he's going to Chicago. Avs will end up with Byram and the Avs will have 2 top pairing defenceman for the first time in over a decade.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Would people be disappointed if we drafted Byram and Broberg?

I don't think there's any chance Broberg makes it to #16; the upside is way too high.

To answer your question - I wouldn't be disappointed, but I think they need to get a forward with one of those picks.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I don't think there's any chance Broberg makes it to #16; the upside is way too high.

To answer your question - I wouldn't be disappointed, but I think they need to get a forward with one of those picks.

I agree, but also don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. I think he'll likely go in the 8-14 range, but we can hope. Definitely would re-balance our prospect pool from RHD strong to the opposite.

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
Would people be disappointed if we drafted Byram and Broberg?

I would be. With the variety of forwards in the top 16 this year, I want to get 2 of them. A trade or 2 can completely change that, but if we are using the picks, we HAVE to get atleast 1 forward

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Somebody tweeted out a list of goalies taken in the 1st round a little while ago over the last 10 years and it’s crazy to see how bad that list is.

I personally don’t want them to draft a goaltender 16th OA. It just never seems to work out. There’s 31 starting goalie jobs in the NHL and most of them are filled yet there’s goaltending talent coming from late rounds, Europe, etc all the time who take those limited rolls way more often than 1st round picks do.

I don’t doubt Spencer Knight will be great. I just think we can make smarter use of that pick.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Somebody tweeted out a list of goalies taken in the 1st round a little while ago over the last 10 years and it’s crazy to see how bad that list is.

I personally don’t want them to draft a goaltender 16th OA. It just never seems to work out. There’s 31 starting goalie jobs in the NHL and most of them are filled yet there’s goaltending talent coming from late rounds, Europe, etc all the time who take those limited rolls way more often than 1st round picks do.

I don’t doubt Spencer Knight will be great. I just think we can make smarter use of that pick.
I prefer to go the route of pro scouting for goalies instead, find a gem from europe every year or so. Eventually you end up with a Rinne or Lundqvist. Just look at the list of goalies in the league today and how they made it to the NHL.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Lukas Wernblom seems to go really, really under the radar. I really like him and Björnfot out of Sweden. They seem to be undervalued in the rankings.

Haven't decided on Grewe yet despite that I have watched him a lot.

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017

Washington already has Samsonov, no need to draft our own. They can take Knight at 25 this year to be the Holtby to Samsonov’s Varly.... (and hope we don’t trade them another Forsberg)

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Just gotta hope he's there in the 3rd, I guess. I'd be okay with Foote with our 2nd rounder, personally. He's got a lot of work to do, but he'll likely become a NHLer in some capacity at some point in his career.

Fair enough, his ranking is one I struggle to put an exact pin on as I've seen everything from high second to mid third with the average being between mid second to early third. I definitely wouldn't be upset with him with our second round pick. It's really unfortunate that is seems we're not high on Knight.

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
I
With the right team he could be a ridiculous offensive threat. But he’s got a lot of developing to do so he’s a bit of a risk.

I agree completely, I know the question marks around him, but yet I’ve heard 3 or 4 people be interviewed about him, that say not to read into it. I think it’s cuz he is 6’2 and not 5’10-11 that intrigues me (besides the obvious) but then again see Greg lol.

Not that I’m comparing the 2 players, but how does he compare to what was said about Tarasenko in his draft year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad