Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part II

Which combo is wetting your appetite the most? (4th & 25th as of 11/27)-(You only have two options)

• Total voters

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
As excited as I am at the possibility of the Avs potentially getting a high end lottery draft pick, I have become very intrigued what could happen with their own pick, looking at it as the low 20's pick it is currently at.

For example, could they maybe take a very long look at Spencer Knight, the goalie prospect that from everything I've come across seems to be one of the best goalie prospects to have come along is quite some time. With this pick no being the focal point of the draft, I wonder if they would be comfortable bringing in a truly elite prospect knowing that he probably won't impact the team in the foreseeable future.

Or maybe they further stock the defenseman cupboard and pick a prospect similar to a K'Andre Miller (if there is one in this draft). A high upside player that slides down a bit due to something like their lack of experience at the position.

At the end of the day, I really hope as well that Pavel Dorofeyev ends up in the Avalanche systems. Although his draft rankings seem to be all over the place so I'm just as interested in where he ends up being drafted.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
As excited as I am at the possibility of the Avs potentially getting a high end lottery draft pick, I have become very intrigued what could happen with their own pick, looking at it as the low 20's pick it is currently at.

For example, could they maybe take a very long look at Spencer Knight, the goalie prospect that from everything I've come across seems to be one of the best goalie prospects to have come along is quite some time. With this pick no being the focal point of the draft, I wonder if they would be comfortable bringing in a truly elite prospect knowing that he probably won't impact the team in the foreseeable future.

Or maybe they further stock the defenseman cupboard and pick a prospect similar to a K'Andre Miller (if there is one in this draft). A high upside player that slides down a bit due to something like their lack of experience at the position.

At the end of the day, I really hope as well that Pavel Dorofeyev ends up in the Avalanche systems. Although his draft rankings seem to be all over the place so I'm just as interested in where he ends up being drafted.

I usually don't like picking goalies in the 1st, but I'd be completely ok with using our own 1st on Knight and get a bonafide goalie-prospect here. God knows we need it.

Although, considering this franchise's historical asset-management philosophy, I'm at the point where I expect us to trade the pick for immediate help. Our 1st + Bowers for Kevin Hayes wouldn't surprise me at all if Sakic feels sure he'll be able to re-sign Hayes (I don't expect them to give up all that if Hayes is purely a rental).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Knight is climbing his way into the top 20 definitely (he's also in my top 15), he's that good. I am not opposed with him if Sens somehow get between that weird range for drafts of 14 to 18. If Avs are somewhere in the 22 to 27th range, I have no problem drafting Sogaard depending on how well he preforms at the WJC. It sounds like, to me, that Avs do a bulk of scouting on particular players from the events that transpire at the WJC - that's how they obviously fell in love with Kaut. However, Hepple has admitted on multiple occasions that he isn't a goaler guy and it seems that a lot of Avs scouts are not either.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Lafrenier vs Hughes Lafreniere is better. I've been researching these guys for a long time. Lafrenier is just smarter. Hughes is more creative but lafrenier just understands the game innately.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lafrenier vs Hughes Lafreniere is better. I've been researching these guys for a long time. Lafrenier is just smarter. Hughes is more creative but lafrenier just understands the game innately.
Lol, was this post intended for here or the Hughes vs Lafernier thread in the prospect board?

It's an interesting topic, but not sure you judge them this early. Don't get me wrong because Alexis is freakin' amazing, but that 2020 draft is mega deep with a ton of centre prospects (easily better than this year's depth). Lafernier will have to be around Ovie's level for a winger to overtake any type of centre and that is a very hard aspect to conduct. He will definitely have a lot of competition for 1st overall in terms of Byfield, Rossi, Lundell, and a couple others. I think he's far from a lock currently.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Lol, was this post intended for here or the Hughes vs Lafernier thread in the prospect board?

It's an interesting topic, but not sure you judge them this early. Don't get me wrong because Alexis is freakin' amazing, but that 2020 draft is mega deep with a ton of centre prospects (easily better than this year's depth). Lafernier will have to be around Ovie's level for a winger to overtake any type of centre and that is a very hard aspect to conduct. He will definitely have a lot of competition for 1st overall in terms of Byfield, Rossi, Lundell, and a couple others. I think he's far from a lock currently.

Yeah maybe not the best place to post it. Honestly didnt even remember posting it had alot of drinks with the family last night haha.

But when I watch them I see Hughes as having unbelievable game breaking talent but Lafrenier seems to use his linemates and intelligence so well. He times plays perfectly and has a ton if composure and finish. They both will be elite and create in different ways. But I think lafreniere will have an easier time transitioning. Hughes does have a higher ceiling due to his skating and creativity/hands. But if I had to choose now I'd go with Lafrenier.

Unless Lafreniere regresses or Byfield really explodes next season I think Lafreniere has 1 OA locked up.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Hard to see Lundell going 1st overall 2020.
If that happens of course i'm happy but come on Lafreniere is as sure 1st overall like Hughes this year.

Lundell should play one hell of season in HIFK's SM liiga team to go 1st overall.
It very likely requires being top scorer in SM liiga's regular season and very or really good tournaments in U18 WJC this April and U20 WJC's in Czech Republic and maybe very good tournament in 2020 men's world championships.

Lundell is really promising center and probably best Finnish center prospect since Barkov.
But he's not as flashy and dominant like Lafreniere. Lundell is at least TOP10 pick 2020 but he has all talent to go TOP3- TOP5.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I’m a Podkolzin fan - he’s not as huge as those guys but he plays aggressive. Love his attitude. He’s strong in the puck, tenacious and plays like a tank.

He’s my guy right now assuming we don’t pick top 2.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’m a Podkolzin fan - he’s not as huge as those guys but he plays aggressive. Love his attitude. He’s strong in the puck, tenacious and plays like a tank.

He’s my guy right now assuming we don’t pick top 2.

The only issue with him is that your guranteed to not see him till his D+3 season.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Watching Podkolzin agressive and tenacious aren’t the words that come to mind. In fact, his biggest flaw is how passive he looks when not carrying the puck. There’s plenty of red flags with him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Watching Podkolzin agressive and tenacious aren’t the words that come to mind. In fact, his biggest flaw is how passive he looks when not carrying the puck. There’s plenty of red flags with him.

I'm still trying to figure out what causes me issues with him, but I think that is a big part of it. He can be completely invisible for all but 2 or 3 shifts in a game, but those 2 or 3 shifts he looks downright incredible. Right now I think he has the pure talent to be a top 5 guy, but I don't think I'd pick him in the top 5... not with Cozen, Dach, Byram around.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I'm still trying to figure out what causes me issues with him, but I think that is a big part of it. He can be completely invisible for all but 2 or 3 shifts in a game, but those 2 or 3 shifts he looks downright incredible. Right now I think he has the pure talent to be a top 5 guy, but I don't think I'd pick him in the top 5... not with Cozen, Dach, Byram around.
Definitely, and you can’t play like that in the NHL. Reminds me of Nuke who fooled me.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I suspect the fact hes at minimum 3 years away from the NHL will keep the Avs away. We're gonna want that Ottawa pick on this team and contributing ASAP as we'll need the cheap ELC help sooner than later.

At #5 you have an interesting spot though. To me the obvious top 4 are Hughes, Kakko, Dach, and Cozens and IMO all 4 will be in the NHL by the 2020/21 season. But after 4 it goes way more up in the air.

Hopefully the Sens finish 31st that way it guarantees us one of those 4 guys.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I suspect the fact hes at minimum 3 years away from the NHL will keep the Avs away. We're gonna want that Ottawa pick on this team and contributing ASAP as we'll need the cheap ELC help sooner than later.

At #5 you have an interesting spot though. To me the obvious top 4 are Hughes, Kakko, Dach, and Cozens and IMO all 4 will be in the NHL by the 2020/21 season. But after 4 it goes way more up in the air.

Hopefully the Sens finish 31st that way it guarantees us one of those 4 guys.
So who are the options really at 5?Byram, Zegras, Podkolzin, Boldy/Turcotte?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So who are the options really at 5?Byram, Zegras, Podkolzin, Boldy/Turcotte?

I havent read or looked into the draft enough yet to comment outside of the Top 4, Podkolzin, and Newhook.

Podkolzin will be part of the conversation. And Newhook likely ends up in the 11-15 bracket. Aside from that I dunno.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Zegras will be in contention in the 5-10 range. Lavoie is going to have some calling for him too with how close to ready he is.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah..not picking a Russian guy playing in Russia in the top 5. It's not compatible with where we are at this point in time. We need the player ASAP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad