Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread 3 - Sabres pick 7th, 31st

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Petersson went at 5, so we never had a chance and who knows what will happen with Vilardi as he has a really bad back injury. He may never fully recover from that. Still happy with Mitts.
And Glass went 6th. My point is these are the players that I wanted before the draft started and when Mitts was widely speculated to go between #3 and #6. Even McKenzie had Mitts above Pettersson in his final ranking. Pronman as well. Button had them both behind Vilardi.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
It's almost as if goals are important to this whole hockey thing

Just like guys that can make plays that lead to goals, or guys that can stop goals from happening. Those things are important too.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
He's a really good prospect and a pretty safe pick, I don't understand why some folks are so worried. He doesn't have the upside of Dach or Zegras but he has a much higher floor too.

That said, I have worries about other potential picks that are at least probably partially unfounded too (Caulfield, Pod).
I don't see him as safe, I think there's a decent chance his offense doesn't translate. So many of the big kids that physically dominate in the CHL end up being grinders at best in the NHL so I don't see him as having a high floor. Big, toolsy guys scare me in the top 10.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I don't see him as safe, I think there's a decent chance his offense doesn't translate. So many of the big kids that physically dominate in the CHL end up being grinders at best in the NHL so I don't see him as having a high floor. Big, toolsy guys scare me in the top 10.

His size really isn’t very high on the list of reasons people like him. Are you saying the same about Dach, who’s bigger?

I wouldn’t describe him as a toolsy guy either: 200 foot player, does everything the right way, no real flaws. He doesn’t need to be a scoring phenom to make him successful. I think folks will come around on him if he’s picked.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Alright I think this is my final ranking for those we've discussed:

Krebs-Good 2 ways. Could be better offensively. Not the highest ceiling but a good floor/ceiling combo

Caufield-Better playmaker than gets credit for, but still not the most well rounded

Boldy-Underrated vision/iq. You know when a goalie doesn't make acrobatic saves, and its because they're always in position? That's Boldy to me. Not flashy but makes good decisions quickly. Overrated "power forward". @Ace is getting flak but in some ways I agree.

Podkolzin-Underrated 2 way ability. Doesn't have the most control/ability to finish. People won't like this comparison but I see a more skilled Zemgus in a few way

Newhook-A lot of skill but won't drive a line. Higher ceiling than Cozens/Pod/Boldy, lower floor.

Zegras-Good hands but doesn't have the vision he thinks he does. Will make some highlight reel plays, but will get stopped trying to do too much too often. Higher ceiling than Cozens/Pod/Boldy/Newhook, lower floor

Cozens- Less physical Risto at forward. Good with the puck when he knows what he wants to do. Bad when there's thought involved or needs to react quickly. Works hard enough he should have a career in the NHL but probably not at the 1C. Would be a "safer" pick than a few guys above him

• Honestly idk where to put Dach/Kaliyev
  • I think York will end up better than a few of these guys
  • I know I could be way off on Zegras, but I'd rather look back in a few years at what I actually thought than a hybrid of my thoughts and the consensus

Reactions: Puppa2Miller

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
So is his 2-year commitment to the KHL the primary objection to Pod?

I'd prefer a center, but if we did pick him, would it really be so bad to have our #1 prospect developing in the second best league in the world, and fully ready for a roster spot in 2021?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Sheet-1-2.png

Don't want to post too much out of respect for the subscriptions but here's a nice graphic.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Who are the toolsy players with no brains (Nichushkin, Virtanen, etc) I'd be afraid of drafting this high if I'd followed this draft class?

Who is the captain boy genius? Krebs?

I'm not saying "no brain" but that's my fear on Cozens. *shrug* Physically able to overcome his peer group but I don't get "thinks the game well" when I watch him. I am welcome to be wrong after they make him their pick at 7.

Krebs is the Gilmour-esque guy at the top of the draft. Farinacci has classic captain qualities. Moynihan may as well.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
So is his 2-year commitment to the KHL the primary objection to Pod?

I'd prefer a center, but if we did pick him, would it really be so bad to have our #1 prospect developing in the second best league in the world, and fully ready for a roster spot in 2021?

Lack of production is the problem with him. He works hard, he's slow, and he doesn't score. So, he'll fit right in.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Don't want to post too much out of respect for the subscriptions but here's a nice graphic.

Right, so 2014-17, sabres are 4th behind Boston, Edmonton, and Toronto's picks for expected WAR. The knock is they are a little too close to 'average' based on their expected draft value, considering how high Sabres picks were.

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
So excited in this draft day. :popcorn:
Still hope more and more for Zegras but also Caufield and Dach will be perfect fits for me.
And yes, I tried some bets on this draft in betting company ;)
And my bets were : Zegras will be gone before Caufield @1.85 and Dach will be gone before Cozens @1.82

But maybe I want lose this bets....

Because if Jason drafts Cozens or Boldy uhh, big disappoitment for me, especially Dylan Cozens guy I don´t believe in him :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad