Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread 3 - Sabres pick 7th, 31st

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Was out last night and didn't have a lot of time to post.

Not super happy with the Cozens pick. Not with Cozens himself, but the logic behind the pick. The Sabres had Zegras on the board, and passed. Highly skilled centers are hard to come by.

Cozens himself, I think is a safe pick. His upside at center is Jeff Carter - a shoot first center with elite physical traits, who can dominate possession and also make plays. If he doesn't pan out there, he can go to wing where he can use his size and speed, eventually developing into a power forward. With the way the playoffs are, he's the type of forward who can play in those physical contest.

However, I still take Zegras. I think Cozens ends up at winger. And you take the center over the winger.

---------------
Johnson is a great pick. He's got Guhle's physical skills with Pysyk's game. He's a top 4 defensive defender who can cover for his partner. Well done by the Sabres.

Feel the same, but I'm not too unhappy about it. I feel like Cozens will end up at wing, and had him and Boldy about the same. If Cozens stays at C, and can be a Monahan type that I really wanted in the 2013 draft, then I'm much happier about it. I guess we'll see in about 2-3 years. Will be interesting to compare him to Zegras down the road.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Here on forward I will refer to Botterill as the common supervisor.

Edit: Interesting take on the Job the common supervisor is doing and faults the organizations lack of depth to Murray's misses and trades. He likes the 2017 draft a lot and recognizes that every pick has made progression, though he does credit Crisp (assistant director of beginner scouting).

Last edited:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
“Based on what I’ve seen over the last year-plus from the 2017 draft, they might have NHL players in every single slot,” Chris Peters, ESPN’s NHL draft analyst, stated.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
“Based on what I’ve seen over the last year-plus from the 2017 draft, they might have NHL players in every single slot,” Chris Peters, ESPN’s NHL draft analyst, stated.

I would agree. Mitts, Luuk, and Bryson look like NHL locks. Laak and Weiss have been very promising. Davidsson's probably one I worry about the most.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

This is a fair grade, IMO.

I do think that the likelihood grade is a little low given how safe I think the 1st rounders are to at least turn into servicable NHLers.

I popped that in the draft grading thread as well. Will and I have discussed their draft philosophy. He's even more to the side of higher-risk guys than I am and he is more down on Cozens than many. His vid on Johnson was pretty persuasive, long before he was even a Sabre draftee.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I popped that in the draft grading thread as well. Will and I have discussed their draft philosophy. He's even more to the side of higher-risk guys than I am and he is more down on Cozens than many. His vid on Johnson was pretty persuasive, long before he was even a Sabre draftee.

The one thing that I kind of laugh at with his Cozens take is that he's worried that Cozens doesn't have 1st line potential and is more of a middle 6 guy. With Eichel here, they don't need a #1 center. They need Cozens to be the Drury to Eichel's Briere.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The one thing that I kind of laugh at with his Cozens take is that he's worried that Cozens doesn't have 1st line potential and is more of a middle 6 guy. With Eichel here, they don't need a #1 center. They need Cozens to be the Drury to Eichel's Briere.

I think he was talking about relative to draft position. It’s the idea of getting a first line talent at that location

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think he was talking about relative to draft position. It’s the idea of getting a first line talent at that location

The problem I have with that is this isn't just a team drafting for theoretical value and getting a guy that fits what they want and need.

I think that is why Cozens was the pick over a guy like Zegras. The Sabres need that Drury guy more than that Briere guy since they have Eichel.

It's why the generic draft lists are so different from the team to team lists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad