Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread 3 - Sabres pick 7th, 31st

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Ordinarily I would agree but if its Reinhart for Turcotte (or Byram) straight up - I laugh all the way to the podium.

In the short-medium term just overpay FA for 4-5 years with whatever $ you were going to pay Sam.
If the Sabres trade Reinhart for rights to draft Turcotte, that will finally be what makes me lose my love of Buffalo Sabres hockey.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Would you do #7 for #3 + Seabrook? I know this trade is crazy town.

No, that contract is a f***ing disaster. I mean, unless you want to lose 1-2 of Dahlin, Reinhart, and/or whoever we draft with the #3 because we don't have cap space for all of them.

Reactions: TheCerebral1

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
What is everyone's thoughts on Zegras if he is the pick? Some draft people are super high on him (top 5) while others see him as a later Top 10 pick. I haven't really watched him but from what I read he is highly skilled, great passer, great hockey sense, great skater, not sure if he projects at centre or wing. Doesn't seem to have the two way game of a Turcotte or Krebs or the size of a Dach or Cozens but for pure offence he seems to be the guy.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What is everyone's thoughts on Zegras if he is the pick? Some draft people are super high on him (top 5) while others see him as a later Top 10 pick. I haven't really watched him but from what I read he is highly skilled, great passer, great hockey sense, great skater, not sure if he projects at centre or wing. Doesn't seem to have the two way game of a Turcotte or Krebs or the size of a Dach or Cozens but for pure offence he seems to be the guy.

He's like a pointy version of Tim Connolly. There is some edge to his game and he is clearly the height of creative with the puck. He has very high offensive potential, just needs to fill out his frame and continue to round out his game.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He's like a pointy version of Tim Connolly. There is some edge to his game and he is clearly the height of creative with the puck. He has very high offensive potential, just needs to fill out his frame and continue to round out his game.

I'd certainly take Tim Connolly 2.0 on this team (new and improved, now with fewer concussions!). There about a half dozen guys I could talk myself into being really excited about as our pick.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
I'd certainly take Tim Connolly 2.0 on this team (new and improved, now with fewer concussions!). There about a half dozen guys I could talk myself into being really excited about as our pick.
Connolly was on his way to being a top 10 player in the league before the Fisher hit. I’d take a guy with that trajectory in Zegras.

Reactions: sabremike

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I've been informed that our migration to amazon's infrastructure has been postponed until October. I was planning on it being done in time for the draft. So we're looking at another draft with sucky server performance. It might not be too bad due to some optimizations we implemented. I'll try to come up with a Plan B where B is not for Botterill.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As my first HF draft without mod powers since... let's see, 2002, might I suggest someone create and lock threads with the pick selection numbers? It keeps the board from getting cluttered up by non-members dropping their click-bait in as opening posts on a selected player or having multiple initial threads for a selection.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Flattering article about Ryan Jankowski, Sabres director of amateur scouting
'Natural passion' drives Ryan Jankowski in leading Sabres' drafts
Jankowski speaks excitedly and animatedly, detailing how his scouting staff has evolved since he was hired in July 2017 and the Sabres' drafting philosophy. While its playoff drought reached an NHL-worst eight seasons, the organization's scouting department has been universally praised for its drafting under General Manager Jason Botterill.

There's a lot of biographical information. I think it's basically a fluff piece.

In addition to selecting Rasmus Dahlin first overall, the Sabres landed four defensemen, including Mattias Samuelsson, and forward Matej Pekar, who is expected to play in Rochester next season. The group strengthened a prospect pool that was lacking following draft failures by former general manager Tim Murray.

I thought the Samuelsson pick was a mistake but not a fatal one. He'll be a steady dman but we could have a player with star potential at that spot. Ylonen and Wilde are going to be NHL regulars while Samuelsson is in Rochester. He better not make the "safe" pick with the #31. The Sabres need impact players.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Flattering article about Ryan Jankowski, Sabres director of amateur scouting
'Natural passion' drives Ryan Jankowski in leading Sabres' drafts

There's a lot of biographical information. I think it's basically a fluff piece.

I thought the Samuelsson pick was a mistake but not a fatal one. He'll be a steady dman but we could have a player with star potential at that spot. Ylonen and Wilde are going to be NHL regulars while Samuelsson is in Rochester. He better not make the "safe" pick with the #31. The Sabres need impact players.

I think Samuelsson turns out to be a better pro than many of the other options available. He was the safe pick, but he's got a lot of the things the Sabres need on the blueline: size, defensive chops, physicality.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I just made myself eligible for the draft. I’m an overager but I’m quick in the crease and have good rebound control.
I know this probably isn't what you're going for, but the CBA is pretty explicit that anyone over 22 who has not been drafted before is not eligible for the draft.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Reading up on future draft prospects and there is someone named Brad Lambert going to the Finnish U18 selection camp. Brad. Lambert.

Hmmmm.... maybe we need a tournament thread. Never really considered it before. Granted, there would probably be like two of us who ever posted in it.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Reading up on future draft prospects and there is someone named Brad Lambert going to the Finnish U18 selection camp. Brad. Lambert.

Hmmmm.... maybe we need a tournament thread. Never really considered it before. Granted, there would probably be like two of us who ever posted in it.
But many of us would enjoy reading it !
Content is king.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad