Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread 3 - Sabres pick 7th, 31st

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Im comfortable with basically all the names mentioned in here so this should be a stress free first pick for me.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Zegras's vision and passing is freakish. This reel is worth the watch.

That is some elite level passing. Just crazy, still I got my eye on Caufield. This team needs goal scorers and Caufield could be on this team at D+1. I don't think he can make it draft year but I do think he is one of the players with an outside chance to play out of the draft. Depends on him adapting to the speed of the NHL but if he scores in preseason I could see him getting 9 games.

It would be tough to ruin Caufield's development. Pure goal scorers usually can score at all levels and I don't see that changing with Caufield.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sabre the Win

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
There’s really not much they can do at 7 that will piss me off. I can only think of one scenario I would be upset at. That’s if Caufield and Boldy are both there and they take Boldy. Anything else is all good. Any of the centers...fine. I wouldn’t even be upset if they “reached” a little and took Broberg. The only thing I don’t want is to walk away Friday with the overwhelming feeling they passed on a winger who will outproduce the one they took year after year because they live with a mentality from a bygone era.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I think out of Dach, Cozens, Turcotte, Zegras, Caulfield and Boldy, I will only be upset with picking Cozens...or if we pick a D for whatever odd reason.

Reactions: jc17

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

I've been to NTDP games where Zegras was noticeably the best player on the ice. When Hughes was gone for World Juniors he stepped up his game in Jack's absence, too. Plus I've met the kid a couple of times and he's great - outgoing, nice, funny, and you can tell his teammates really like him.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I posted a similar one in the last draft thread. The fun part is how often he puts the puck on someone's stick through sticks/legs/feet regardless of his position relative to the recipient. He consistently catches opponents unaware of the danger of the shooter he's feeding. There is a real art to his game.

And then notice his stick and elbows are up to defend himself and he's pointy on checks to create space and separation.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I've been to NTDP games where Zegras was noticeably the best player on the ice. When Hughes was gone for World Juniors he stepped up his game in Jack's absence, too. Plus I've met the kid a couple of times and he's great - outgoing, nice, funny, and you can tell his teammates really like him.

His Combine media scrum was great, a lot of personality.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I posted a similar one in the last draft thread. The fun part is how often he puts the puck on someone's stick through sticks/legs/feet regardless of his position relative to the recipient. He consistently catches opponents unaware of the danger of the shooter he's feeding. There is a real art to his game.

And then notice his stick and elbows are up to defend himself and he's pointy on checks to create space and separation.

There's a lob pass from the middle of the ice to a guy streaking down the right side to the blue line in there and I don't think I've seen that done before. Seen lob passes but always up the middle.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
There's a lob pass from the middle of the ice to a guy streaking down the right side to the blue line in there and I don't think I've seen that done before. Seen lob passes but always up the middle.
The thing that impresses me is how he puts the puck where the player is going to be but he does it with such soft hands and on the tape to the other player its not just a pass to that area of the player. Sometimes the puck is there waiting for the player to come and pick it up but still out of the reach of the opposing team, Its amazing. I don't think you can get better passing than that. He must be top in the draft class for passing.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
There’s really not much they can do at 7 that will piss me off. I can only think of one scenario I would be upset at. That’s if Caufield and Boldy are both there and they take Boldy. Anything else is all good. Any of the centers...fine. I wouldn’t even be upset if they “reached” a little and took Broberg. The only thing I don’t want is to walk away Friday with the overwhelming feeling they passed on a winger who will outproduce the one they took year after year because they live with a mentality from a bygone era.
I don’t really understand this take. Boldy isn’t some unskilled grinder. He’s a highly skilled, highly intelligent player who happens to be 6’2”. It’s really weird how so many people keep making this guy out to be Zack Kassian or something. For my money, he’s a better player than Caufield, but it’s close, and I think his skill set will be much more valuable at the NHL level.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Feels like 10 players are being drafted in the Top 6. All the good ones will be gone by #7 :sarcasm:
I am not worried
1 Hughes
2 Kakko
3 Turcotte
4 Byram

Seem to be consensus..... leaving
Zegras
Dach
Caufield
Cozens

Cozens is Top 5 on some boards

We get one of those.

On top of that one of Podkolzin or Broberg could jump up.

Reactions: kundahlini

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Interesting quote from Friedman's 31 Thoughts:
"Depending on how the draft goes, we could see some frenetic attempts to move up and down."
Wonder if Sabres have their hearts set on Turcotte and will try to get up to get him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad