Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread 2 - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Botterill mentions Reinhart as part of the core group far too often for me to think he's on the table. I just really hope we take the "right" guy in this grouping between 3-12 or whatever it is now. Pretty interesting draft year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm not as high on Caufield. His biggest problem for me is his bust potential. If he's not scoring, what's he doing? That's his only NHL trait for me. He's not a top defensive forward, he's not going to transition the puck for you, he isn't going to win a lot of forechecking or wall battles. He's got one NHL traits - and it's elite - but that's where I stand with him.

Reminds me too much of a Pavel Brendl or Jonathan Cheechoo one-trick-pony type of prospect. If the Sabres take a shot on that type of player, I'd rather it not be in the top ten.

Dave Chyzowski is always the guy I think of when wondering at high-finish guys who don't have more than just that to their game.

It is certainly the risk side of selection.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Newhook is really starting to intrigue me at 7th. I think he has a lot to offer, I think his natural skill level is higher then others, and he’s a great scorer and playmaker. Not one of the other.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Newhook is really starting to intrigue me at 7th. I think he has a lot to offer, I think his natural skill level is higher then others, and he’s a great scorer and playmaker. Not one of the other.
If you want to take Newhook, you trade back. Full stop.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
"Darcy Regier really likes Nathan MacKinnon and would like to trade up and get him."
"Tim Murray really likes Clayton Keller and would like to trade up and get him."

I feel like we've been here before.

Throw in the idea of trading back into the first round for Larkin as well.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
What is the deal with Arthur Kaliyev? All the guy does is score. I have seen him as low as 30th.

What is the problem? Skating? IQ? Effort?

51 goals at 17 in the O is no small feat.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What is the deal with Arthur Kaliyev? All the guy does is score. I have seen him as low as 30th.

Speed is mentioned. So too is personality/attitude by some. He did some remarkable things as a 17-year old in the OHL. And yet he remains a polarizing guy.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Most everything I've read about the kid (note: I don't really watch junior hockey, and I won't pretend to) is that he "just leaves you wanting more." So he scores a crap ton but doesn't look like he's trying very hard to do it, I guess? Seems very much like a guy who we could look back at in a few years and wonder how he fell as far as he did.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
That's why I'd rather trade up with that pick.

I would as well. The chances of a guy being there that I like are slim. If this Chicago trade-up idea is legit, or in the search for a t6 center, we should use it there.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Most everything I've read about the kid (note: I don't really watch junior hockey, and I won't pretend to) is that he "just leaves you wanting more." So he scores a crap ton but doesn't look like he's trying very hard to do it, I guess? Seems very much like a guy who we could look back at in a few years and wonder how he fell as far as he did.

So he’s just good lol. Only in hockey would “he scores but it looks like he isn’t trying” be considered a negative.

Reactions: sabremike

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006

Part of my problem with rating Kaliyev is that I saw so few of the other draft choices live. AK has good size, will battle on the boards, decent gap control and positioning, has a great accurate release and is an excellent passer who looks to find anyone in good position to shoot. His straight line speed is ok but no quick first step. He will not normally drive a line but he will finish and he will make plays. He sometimes gets lost in the D zone but he forced defenders to keep an eye on him even when the puck was in the Hamilton zone. Some of Eichel's attitude about getting of the ice though--no hurry! If we did not need a burner--and I think we do-up front AK would be a great choice. Unfortunately with skilled guys with similar skating--Mitts and Sam-who knows where he would fit in. With all the hype about how great the guys I haven't seen live are maybe AK's tremendous offensive skills don't make up for his lack of elite skating and his non centre position.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
So he’s just good lol. Only in hockey would “he scores but it looks like he isn’t trying” be considered a negative.
Always remember this facts: when you talk to hockey executives and scouts you almost always have to set your watch back 40 years. It's the least forward looking sport on Earth.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The problem with the idea of moving up from 31 is that the Sabres lack the usual capital to make such a move: a 2nd round pick in the same draft.

I would expect a trade back from 31 for multiple picks to be more likely than a trade up from 31.

I expect that if 31 moves, it is in a deal for an NHL player.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Regarding Kaliyev is part of it that his shot was a big part of his scoring, but people don't think it will translate against NHL goaltending?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad