Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread 2 - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Starting to get on the Newhook at 7 bandwagon. It feels like every week there’s a new player I really wouldn’t mind us picking in that spot. Probably the only time moving down after the lottery didn’t really effect us much.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Truthfully I think the Sabres D prospect pool is the one underrated aspect of the organization. It would be great to add another top talent to it but it's not something I would consider necessary coming from this draft. I'd prefer they not do what they did last season and waste 3 picks on guys who showed no progress at all.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Truthfully I think the Sabres D prospect pool is the one underrated aspect of the organization. It would be great to add another top talent to it but it's not something I would consider necessary coming from this draft. I'd prefer they not do what they did last season and waste 3 picks on guys who showed no progress at all.

I would agree with you in that it is underrated and they seemed to take more traditional guys with their later round picks who did not have the development trajectory we might have wanted. They have the biggest fish in Dahlin. Pilut looks like a possible solid mid-pairing guy. Samuelsson and Laaksonen both look like they could be mid-pairing guys. Borgen seems super safe as an eventual contributor. Bryson of course is my secret love child, and may turn out to be an NHLer too.

It's a little scary to think their best non-professional forward prospect might be Weissbach at this point. Even with the pro level guys (AHL, SHL, Liiga), they aren't exactly swimming in offensive flair, or finish, or speed, or even the new buzzword... grit. If they have players ranked similarly, this year, I could see myself pushing to the forward. What they do however, is anyone's guess.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
The problem with that is you are now kicking the competition of this team down the road even more.

We've blown through the ELCs of Reinhart and Eichel. Trading Reinhart for a draft pick at this point is going to help blow through Dahlin's ELC, as well.

Turcotte and Byram are awesome prospects. But, giving up a guy like Reinhart to get one of them isn't the trade this team needs to make right now.

Im repeating myself - as I said I understand your logic - and if we were talking about replacing Reinhart with a Reinhart ceiling player I would agree. But I think 3OV to take one of those guys is worth much more to the medium-long term future of the team.

Not that Chicago would ever agree to the deal but assuming they did - you could make two huge additions with 3 & 7 who could feasibly start contributing as soon as next season. Both guys would be on ELCs too. Even if they were a few years away - Jack & Dahlin aren't going anywhere & you have the added cap flexibility to do something with the money reserved for a Reinhart extension. It's honestly a no brainer.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Im repeating myself - as I said I understand your logic - and if we were talking about replacing Reinhart with a Reinhart ceiling player I would agree. But I think 3OV to take one of those guys is worth much more to the medium-long term future of the team.

Not that Chicago would ever agree to the deal but assuming they did - you could make two huge additions with 3 & 7 who could feasibly start contributing as soon as next season. Both guys would be on ELCs too. Even if they were a few years away - Jack & Dahlin aren't going anywhere & you have the added cap flexibility to do something with the money reserved for a Reinhart extension. It's honestly a no brainer.
Do you plan to point a gun at the heads of players to force them to sign here against their will? No player in their right mind wants to come to this toilet of an organization, why do you think if we punted another 2-3 seasons that would change? It's insane.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Do you plan to point a gun at the heads of players to force them to sign here against their will? No player in their right mind wants to come to this toilet of an organization, why do you think if we punted another 2-3 seasons that would change? It's insane.

What an embarrassing post. Why are you here if he think so poorly of the team? Go cheer for someone else. No one forces anyone to cheer for a sports team.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I highly doubt anyone taken at 3 would have anywhere near the impact that Reinhart will have over the next three seasons. If it is Turcotte, I doubt he's in the NHL next season. And even he has maturation to go through to get on Reinhart's level.

And you are going to get the guy at 7 regardless.

And using Reinhart's cap space to overpay UFAs? No thanks.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
What an embarrassing post. Why are you here if he think so poorly of the team? Go cheer for someone else. No one forces anyone to cheer for a sports team.
Give me a break. This organization was literally trending on Twitter last night from people laughing at how sad and stupid they are. I am mad about this, mad that we are seen as the worst place in the league anyone could end up. The idea we are on just about every no trade list in the entire league fills me with rage at an organization and ownership that has betrayed this fanbase, just like our last two owners. And I bet kids throughout the Buffalo area would be real receptive to "love it or leave it" BS. When people take you up on your offer and our fanbase shrinks and shrinks we'll be screwed beyond belief. And I did absolutely nothing except point out our sad and painfull reality at this point. If it makes you mad direct your anger at the people who did this to us. They are the ones who deserve your contempt, not me.

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
Give me a break. This organization was literally trending on Twitter last night from people laughing at how sad and stupid they are. I am mad about this, mad that we are seen as the worst place in the league anyone could end up. The idea we are on just about every no trade list in the entire league fills me with rage at an organization and ownership that has betrayed this fanbase, just like our last two owners. And I bet kids throughout the Buffalo area would be real receptive to "love it or leave it" BS. When people take you up on your offer and our fanbase shrinks and shrinks we'll be screwed beyond belief. And I did absolutely nothing except point out our sad and painfull reality at this point. If it makes you mad direct your anger at the people who did this to us. They are the ones who deserve your contempt, not me.

So the best course of action for you to address your anger; is consistently call the organization an "embarassment," or a "Toilet bowl?" Thats when you aren't making fun of Botterill or the players, not only for their actions, but their appearance.

That's whats sad.

Am I happy with the moves we've made? 75% no, 25% yes....but I'm not going to be destructive about actions I have no control over. It's silly.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
So the best course of action for you to address your anger; is consistently call the organization an "embarassment," or a "Toilet bowl?" Thats when you aren't making fun of Botterill or the players, not only for their actions, but their appearance.

That's whats sad.

Am I happy with the moves we've made? 75% no, 25% yes....but I'm not going to be destructive about actions I have no control over. It's silly.
I wouldn't constantly call this organization an embarrassment if they stopped being an embarrassment. I wouldn't make fun of Botts if he would stop making incredibly bad decisions that are effectively dousing the team in petrol and tossing a match on it. And really do you know what's worse than people like me being upset with this nonsense? It would be people no longer caring, because I've seen first hand what happens to a team that screws up so bad people stop caring.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Skinner just did tho?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Interesting news for Savoie (considered the front runner for a top spot in 2022). He was a Denver University commit up to today.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Interesting news for Savoie (considered the front runner for a top spot in 2022). He was a Denver University commit up to today.

How does this work? He was refused underage status so does he have to play somewhere else for a year before joining the Ice? Great that he will be developing in the CHL.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Skinner just signed for 8 years and one of the better goalie coaches just left his job somewhere else to come here but hey, nobody.
Skinner was a unicorn because he wanted to be as close to Toronto as possible above all else and we caught a rare break.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Too many mocks have us taking Caufield now for me not to be devastated when we don’t. Then most will celebrate and then later call it a disaster when he’s way better than whatever they cheered us doing.

And the cycle shall repeat.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Too many mocks have us taking Caufield now for me not to be devastated when we don’t. Then most will celebrate and then later call it a disaster when he’s way better than whatever they cheered us doing.

And the cycle shall repeat.
Who is going to get him the puck? Too true we need goal scoring but the only proven centre we have is Eichel. It's the same with Boldy whom I like. Mitts can stickhandle in a phone booth but unfortunately the game is played in a big rink. Management does not seem to have confidence in Sam at centre. I may have to come to love Dach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad