Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread 2 - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Pronman: Who's the most divisive prospect in this year's NHL...

Every draft has a divisive prospect.

Last season was Ryan Merkley, other years it was Lawson Crouse, Brandon Saad, Mikhail Grigorenko, Tony DeAngelo, Josh Ho-Sang. Saying those names to a scout would have elicited a strong response: a pound on the table to emphasize how good the player is or an equally fierce rejection of them.

This year’s divisive prospect is Arthur Kaliyev.

If you have an Athletic sub, this probably answers some of the questions.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
That would be a big step in the wrong direction for Buffalo. I'd throw Mittelstadt+ out to land Turcotte, but I'm not taking an already very good young roster player off the team for him.

Ordinarily I would agree but if its Reinhart for Turcotte (or Byram) straight up - I laugh all the way to the podium.

In the short-medium term just overpay FA for 4-5 years with whatever $ you were going to pay Sam.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
To add to the above I don't think Chicago would ever consider that type of trade & I personally would not go near 7+Sam for 3+Anisimov from Sabres POV:

3rd > 7th
Reinhart >>> Anisimov

3rd > Reinhart
7th >>> Anisimov

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Heres to hoping one of Dorofeyev, Hoglander, or Bjornfot is there with our second 1st.

Yes, YES, no.

Digging on Bjornfot and just finished the Wheeler article that pretty much takes a giant deuce on Broberg, Soderstrom and Bjornfot at their projected draft locations. He has some compelling reasons on Bjornfot as well.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Yes, YES, no.

Digging on Bjornfot and just finished the Wheeler article that pretty much takes a giant deuce on Broberg, Soderstrom and Bjornfot at their projected draft locations. He has some compelling reasons on Bjornfot as well.
Fair. I just like the fact that hes a complete D man.

What about Alex Vlasic?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Fair. I just like the fact that hes a complete D man.

What about Alex Vlasic?

He dumps on him too based on the projections of late first/early second round.

A snippet:

As with a number of defencemen in this class, I could see Vlasic progressing into an NHL player, but he’s probably a third-pairing guy who kills penalties and not someone who drives possession in a significant way due to some of the mistakes that come with him. For that, I can’t buy into the borderline consensus feeling that he’s a late-first, early-second-round talent.

Need based vs. BPA is a thing yet I find it hard to imagine that on the heels of taking Samuelsson who is a better puck mover than Vlasic at the same stage and likely projects out to satisfy a similar role that they even entertain this. They need skill over everything, even on the back end. And while being big is a skill of sorts, puck ability and skating have to be right up there now.

Reactions: Franson

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Ordinarily I would agree but if its Reinhart for Turcotte (or Byram) straight up - I laugh all the way to the podium.

In the short-medium term just overpay FA for 4-5 years with whatever $ you were going to pay Sam.

The problem with that is you are now kicking the competition of this team down the road even more.

We've blown through the ELCs of Reinhart and Eichel. Trading Reinhart for a draft pick at this point is going to help blow through Dahlin's ELC, as well.

Turcotte and Byram are awesome prospects. But, giving up a guy like Reinhart to get one of them isn't the trade this team needs to make right now.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would love to know how that formula has Turcotte and Hughes scoring more goals per 60 than Caufield.

Or how it has Caufield having more assists per 60 than goals per 60.

Caufield is like Skinner in that he is a G>A guy.

It would be interesting to find out how he models his numbers.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah. With Hughes, Turcotte, Caufield, Zegras, and Boldy all being USNTDP players, you would think that there would be some sort of similar projection. But, looking at the numbers, I'm not seeing it...

:dunno:

Maybe he's weighting on... wait for it.... weight? Or height? :D

I'll show myself out now. :biglaugh:

Reactions: Jim Bob

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Hot take incoming:
The Sabres organizational defensive depth is still awful and they should maybe take a defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad