Confirmed with Link: The 2019-2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs Discussion: Islanders vs Lightning Round 3

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I already am, just happy to have another week of NYI hockey.
I'm happy about it now, but this last week was torturous. I really hate that I can't watch most games live. No joke, I was sick to my stomach on many days last week. Seems childish, but I don't remember feeling that way in 1993. Even when I was at game 6 of the Pens series when the Isles were trying to force game 7, I was just ready to rock. But this last week I think I dropped some pounds worrying...

So it will remain to be seen how happy I actually am having more Isle's hockey, lol. I think I'll be more relaxed this series as I feel like the season is already a resounding success.

Reactions: norwegianislander

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I'm happy about it now, but this last week was torturous. I really hate that I can't watch most games live. No joke, I was sick to my stomach on many days last week. Seems childish, but I don't remember feeling that way in 1993. Even when I was at game 6 of the Pens series when the Isles were trying to force game 7, I was just ready to rock. But this last week I think I dropped some pounds worrying...

So it will remain to be seen how happy I actually am having more Isle's hockey, lol. I think I'll be more relaxed this series as I feel like the season is already a resounding success.

Anything beyond this is gravy, even a 6 game loss would be palatable.

Unfortunately with my schedule I never saw a game live, it was hard work avoiding score updates. Shut my phone off the whole day and told my wife to stop following NYI on Instagram.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Anything beyond this is gravy, even a 6 game loss would be palatable.

Unfortunately with my schedule I never saw a game live, it was hard work avoiding score updates. Shut my phone off the whole day and told my wife to stop following NYI on Instagram.
Welcome to my world, even my brother messes things up. He texted me on the day the Islanders went up 3-1 in the series to say, "Hey Josh you don't watch the games live right?" I knew right away they won, and I should have told him not to text me because nothing from him for games five and six which lead to the sickening feeling I had all day. Not being able to watch games live is absolutely brutal and I wake up at 8:30 and 9:00am on weekends just to watch games live because of how much I hate having the score spoiled.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Can anyone blame people for taking Tampa Bay over us? These same people were taking Washington over us as well. They've been waiting for our luck to run out for two years now.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
The only way Islanders win is if Greiss steals the series-he's done it before. Varly is a decent goal tender but I don't recall any games where he has totally blown me away. Greiss has made some of the most unbelievable saves I've seen by any goalie. He's come though in big pressure situations too.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
In ‘93 I was young and dating a crazy chick with a great body and a magic v. We went to the Dale Hunter game. I think we would have beat Montreal if we had Pierre.

I think with the travel and time change, the team may be a little sluggish. So I think Varly starts. He’s rested, and got a little kick in the pants not playing game 7. Maybe a chip on his shoulder. Bit of a mind game with Barry. Well played...

Back then mine had a stretched C . . .

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
For me, the Isles' besting the Bolts boils down to one simple question. Forget the goalie deliberation, never mind the oft maligned powerplay that straddles the line between anemic and pathetic, ignore Tampa's advantage in skill.

Will the Islanders impose their will over them?

That's it. We know they CAN, we've seen it through long stretches of each of the 3 series so far. When the Isles are on their game, they can beat anyone. When they're at their best, their desire, effort, attention to detail and focus wears the opposition down and eventually they prevail.

Going to be tougher against a very good Tampa squad but if they can impose the brand of Isles hockey that Trotz has instilled in them, they will prevail in 6 or 7.

Can't f***ing wait for puck drop!!!

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
While TB has a ton of weapons, to me the key is Kucherov. That's not news I know, nor is the fact that he's an epic talent, but he's also a bit of a head case. If you hit him enough and frustrate him enough you can get him off his game and also goad him into bad penalties, or worse. You're never going to stop him completely, but one way or another, he's got to be neutralized as much as possible for the Isles to prevail IMO. Even more so now that we know there will be no Stamkos.

Last edited:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Welcome to my world, even my brother messes things up. He texted me on the day the Islanders went up 3-1 in the series to say, "Hey Josh you don't watch the games live right?" I knew right away they won, and I should have told him not to text me because nothing from him for games five and six which lead to the sickening feeling I had all day. Not being able to watch games live is absolutely brutal and I wake up at 8:30 and 9:00am on weekends just to watch games live because of how much I hate having the score spoiled.

You live in the Eastern Hemisphere?

Yeah, it is brutal not seeing it live. I don’t even touch HF, as said completely shut the phone off and banned my wife from any kind of NYI content. The other day I looked at the phone screen ONCE and saw the Hayes goal nhl app update. Sunken feeling.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
5r0FG1y.jpg

"The press seems to think that we'd save everyone the time and trouble if we just went out and shot ourselves. Me, I'm for wasting sportswriters' time. So I figured we ought to hang around for a while and see if we can give 'em all a nice big shitburger to eat!"

---Lou Brown

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
Man... just hope we can sink our teeth into this series with a couple Ws early on. I was in high school in ‘93, and it always bothered me that the ECF w/MTL was basically over in a blink of an eye- despite us playing well in Games 2, 3, and obviously 4. It was like we were the toast of NY sports for a week- and then before you knew it Healy was gone, and NYR and NJD were winning Cups. Went so fast...

Reactions: mm11

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
It's a cleverly disguised gun case.. all good snipers have one. :D
I thought that was the weapon used during the Philly series that caused all the missed penalties. I was way off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad