Confirmed with Link: The 2019-2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs Discussion: Islanders vs Lightning Round 3

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I am rolling as a former Volleyball player myself. Hahahaha. Pageau is a savage.

My first ever College v-ball tourney, I six packed (hit in the face) a kid so hard that he got knocked out. He was actually wearing glasses and the frame gave him a big gash above the eye, the lenses slid across the entire gym. He had to go to the hospital to get stitches and he actually quit the team the next day according to his coach with whom I used to play beach v-ball against. It was pretty brutal.

I was known as the 'kid who killed that guy' for the entire year. The best part was all the seniors on my team bought me six packs of beer on the way home, I didn't even know about that. My roommate (who I only knew about a week) was shocked as shit as I rolled in with like 6 six packs into the room and I told him to go outside and get the other 8 or so. It was a pretty big score for a freshman and I gave one to all my dorm mates because we could only fit like 4 of them in our mini fridge.
Where'd you go to school Pdub's?

Duanesutter12

Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I think part of that was because the Flyers couldn't afford to take penalties being down in the series and with their PP going 0% in the series. We saw Hayes be a bit of a douche but otherwise there wasn't much.
Hayes has been my most hated player since Hickey tried humping his leg against the Rags circa 2016! God I hated seeing him smile after Philly would score. Thankfully, that's done with!

Duanesutter12

Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
In hindsight, it was too small for me - around 5K undergrads when I was there. I hung out more at BU from Thursday night to Sunday night. Was kind of a v-ball freak though - weekends at Sargent gym at BU, Wednesday nights at the Plex at BC, Thursday nights at Jackson gym at Tufts.
You should've went to Ohio Sate, where I went to school. At the time it was the biggest school in the country (87-91). Also has a pretty good vollyball team. You still live on the Island?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
You should've went to Ohio Sate, where I went to school. At the time it was the biggest school in the country (87-91). Also has a pretty good vollyball team. You still live on the Island?

If I had to do it again, I probably would have gone out West as it fit my laid back personality and high level of v-ball.

After 15+ years in New Haven and Boston, moved back to LI several years ago. My v-ball days are over, my rotator cuff gave out a while ago and concentrated on golf. Used to carry a 4 handicap in my hey day, lucky to shoot 90 with my fat ass now.

Duanesutter12

Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
If I had to do it again, I probably would have gone out West as it fit my laid back personality and high level of v-ball.

After 15+ years in New Haven and Boston, moved back to LI several years ago. My v-ball days are over, my rotator cuff gave out a while ago and concentrated on golf. Used to carry a 4 handicap in my hey day, lucky to shoot 90 with my fat ass now.
I lived in Newport Beach for 9 years before moving to Hong Kong in 2001. You would've loved Newport--- Volleyball heaven!

Reactions: PWJunior

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
My sons both played college volleyball. Best sport for the parents.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007

Just goes to show how long it could take until a franchise gets their again. I know
Chances are we will get here again with this team on the up, but man you can’t help but to feel like we can’t afford to not win. It’s tough now a days to get this far. If they play smart, push the pace/forecheck and remain disciplined.... They can beat these guys. They have done it VS Fla, Wsh and now Philadelphia, they can do it to the Lightning.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Been scanning the forum on opinions on this series, and I already see a vast majority of posts that TB should dispatch of the Isles in a short series. I thought, okay, cool with me. Always like the underdog role going into a series. Let the disrespect come.

For the record, I am calling the Isles to win this in 6 or 7 games. It is going to be a long series, but I see the Isles frustrating the Lightening. The Lightning did enhance their heavy hockey players in the off season. But I think the Isles game will match up well with them.

We will see, but Isles definitely have the team to upset the TB Lightening, which for me is not an upset. Injuries aside.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Been scanning the forum on opinions on this series, and I already see a vast majority of posts that TB should dispatch of the Isles in a short series. I thought, okay, cool with me. Always like the underdog role going into a series. Let the disrespect come.

For the record, I am calling the Isles to win this in 6 or 7 games. It is going to be a long series, but I see the Isles frustrating the Lightening. The Lightning did enhance their heavy hockey players in the off season. But I think the Isles game will match up well with them.

We will see, but Isles definitely have the team to upset the TB Lightening, which for me is not an upset. Injuries aside.

It sort of depends which version of Tampa shows up. If it’s the regular season version I feel the Isles can beat them. If it’s the team I just saw play Boston then Greiss or Varlamov better play like God

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

ESPN showing a tiny bit of respect as they had 13/17 roll with the Lightning, but only one of those had it in 5. The rest picked 6/7. Interestingly, they picked 14/17 VGK over Dallas. So statistically they think our series will be tighter.

It's early but things might work out with us playing against Lehner for the Cup!!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
ESPN showing a tiny bit of respect as they had 13/17 roll with the Lightning, but only one of those had it in 5. The rest picked 6/7. Interestingly, they picked 14/17 VGK over Dallas. So statistically they think our series will be tighter.

It's early but things might work out with us playing against Lehner for the Cup!!
The 2 teams play each other pretty evenly. It's going to be tight. Stamkos out and Pageau added perhaps will be the slight advantage in this series. I would not count Varly out too, he had a rough series against the Flyers but before this, was spot on these playoffs. Point to me is the player the Isles need to contain. Will be interesting to see if Pulock and Pelech can do this. He's a terrific player.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
The 2 teams play each other pretty evenly. It's going to be tight. Stamkos out and Pageau added perhaps will be the slight advantage in this series. I would not count Varly out too, he had a rough series against the Flyers but before this, was spot on these playoffs. Point to me is the player the Isles need to contain. Will be interesting to see if Pulock and Pelech can do this. He's a terrific player.

The player that will have to be contained will be Point, and he always hurts us... that is the guy to watch on their end. We have to exploit Shattenkirk for sure, it is going to come down us being able to pot goals against their ace goalie.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

That's my biggest concern as well. I figure Pelock / Pulech (whichever nickname you prefer) will see Kucherov and they'll stick Pageau on Point, but Point will be the best secondary player they've seen these playoffs. Going to be really interesting to see how Trotz handles it.

I'm not worried about Varlamov and I actually wasn't that disappointed with his play. I didn't expect him to be superb every friggin' game and if Greiss had seen as many starts as Varlamov he'd eventually get lit up too. We have a wonderful goalie tandem, so goal is really the least of my worries. Trotz will play the best choice and as long as he doesn't stubbornly stick to one (has never done that) we'll be okay in net. Question is can our offense penetrate like it did against Philly and beat Vasi consistently. I feel like Hart was good, but he wasn't perfect. If Hart had been a little bit better they would have won more of those OT games in regular time.

Reactions: TMI

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Dom L. Athletics data guy is raving about the Islanders, but his model still has them losing.

Love the opening paragraph!

2020 NHL playoff preview: Lightning vs. Islanders

It feels like in most seasons, there’s a team that makes it deep in the postseason that simply doesn’t belong — clawing its way through the playoffs by the skin of its teeth with sheer luck on its side.
For once, that’s not the case — there should be zero doubt whatsoever as to who the two best teams in the Eastern Conference have been in the playoffs.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
It sort of depends which version of Tampa shows up. If it’s the regular season version I feel the Isles can beat them. If it’s the team I just saw play Boston then Greiss or Varlamov better play like God

Yeah, that's pretty much how I see it. This Tampa team currently, even shorthanded with injuries, has everything. Offense, D, and the best goalie in the league. Hedman can control half the ice and he's been scoring from the point w/ near will. Teams seem to score a lot from the points on NYI. Biggest difference is they play with grit, gumption and passion. Goodrow, Maroon, and Coleman give them dimensions they didn't have before. Palat is filling in for Stamkos' absence. Killorn is always dangerous in the playoffs. Kucherov hasn't looked as dominant as I expected, perhaps he has an avg. series (he was stellar in '16). They are playing like they want that Cup. I was hoping they'd be in that WSH, floating kind of mode. Perhaps the week off favors NYI.

Then there's the NYI goaltending situation, you have to ride Greiss now. He has the momentum, Varly isn't as calming in the net. The D must continue suffocating like they have so much in these playoffs to extend this series a few games.

My heart says NYI b/c this does seem like a fairytale run, but my head won't allow me to get false ideations.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Yeah, that's pretty much how I see it. This Tampa team currently, even shorthanded with injuries, has everything. Offense, D, and the best goalie in the league. Hedman can control half the ice and he's been scoring from the point w/ near will. Teams seem to score a lot from the points on NYI. Biggest difference is they play with grit, gumption and passion. Goodrow, Maroon, and Coleman give them dimensions they didn't have before. Palat is filling in for Stamkos' absence. Killorn is always dangerous in the playoffs. Kucherov hasn't looked as dominant as I expected, perhaps he has an avg. series (he was stellar in '16). They are playing like they want that Cup. I was hoping they'd be in that WSH, floating kind of mode. Perhaps the week off favors NYI.

Then there's the NYI goaltending situation, you have to ride Greiss now. He has the momentum, Varly isn't as calming in the net. The D must continue suffocating like they have so much in these playoffs to extend this series a few games.

My heart says NYI b/c this does seem like a fairytale run, but my head won't allow me to get false ideations.

Like I mentioned before, expect the worst and hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i will concede that my money goes on TB, but i honestly believe that the Isles can upset them. our record with Zeeky and Pelech in the lineup, is pretty stellar. rivals theirs without Stamkos, i bet.

i know this sounds unorthodox in the PO's, but maybe Trotz should rotate goalies, equally? seems to work for us, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad