Confirmed with Link: The 2019-2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs Discussion: Islanders vs Lightning Round 3

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
I oddly feel pretty good about this. I feel this team has been tested in almost every way, so there really isn’t a lot that can happen that will catch them off guard too much.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I oddly feel pretty good about this. I feel this team has been tested in almost every way, so there really isn’t a lot that can happen that will catch them off guard too much.
How can you not? This isn't a case of "playing with house money" anymore. I legit like our chances of advancing. It will be our toughest test so far, but I think if we keep playing Trotz hockey, frustrating the Lightning into turnovers, grinding them down, we will win.

Again, it's a big IF, but I like what we bring to the table.

Reactions: TMI

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
How can you not? This isn't a case of "playing with house money" anymore. I legit like our chances of advancing. It will be our toughest test so far, but I think if we keep playing Trotz hockey, frustrating the Lightning into turnovers, grinding them down, we will win.

Again, it's a big IF, but I like what we bring to the table.
The big difference for me is just scoring talent of TB, to be honest. Especially that first line. We haven’t played anyone like Point or Kucherov yet. Granted, Kucherov might still be a little banged up from the clincher they played against Boston, but it will definitely be interesting to see how they handle Point/Kucherov. Every time they’re not on the ice, I feel we have more than a decent chance of winning matchups.

Reactions: TMI and MJF

Cameraguy

Jun 29, 2009
5r0FG1y.jpg

"The press seems to think that we'd save everyone the time and trouble if we just went out and shot ourselves. Me, I'm for wasting sportswriters' time. So I figured we ought to hang around for a while and see if we can give 'em all a nice big shitburger to eat!"

---Lou Brown
That was Burks pics.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Draw a line through game 1. If you are going to play a no touch clunker, this is the game to not show up for. Not going to sugar coat it, the guys should be embarrassed tonight. They didn't deserve a W, TB deserve a 1-0 lead. Now we will see what the Isles are made of in game 2. If they have pride, and I know they do. It will be a vastly different game 2.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am thinking inserting Boychuck and Komarov into game 2. Maybe even Knuckles. Out comes Greene, Johnston, and Brassard. Hopefully Clutterbuck will be ok for game 2. ID line needs to set the tone, and play better.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
It's better to lose in a blowout than a close game. In a close hard-fought game teams think "wow we gave it our all and it's still not enough" in a blowout they say "wow we were garbage and are much better than that".

Reactions: TMI

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I'd start Varlamov in game 2.
Yeah that’s probably the way to go. Give him a chance to redeem himself in front of a D that needs to redeem itself. Could be just the combo needed to corral TB a bit.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's better to lose in a blowout than a close game. In a close hard-fought game teams think "wow we gave it our all and it's still not enough" in a blowout they say "wow we were garbage and are much better than that".
This is my take. The Isles didn't play their game for whatever reason. I said this last night. TB had it way too easy in game 1. Point and Kucherov were untouched. They were just allowed to do anything they wanted. Also Hedman had a very easy night. The TB weak D of Schenn, Bogo, and Shattenkirk were never pressured. Best just to draw a line through game 1. Game 2 should be a better reflection on how this series will go.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
At the end of the day, it was ugly, but its just one loss. Maybe some emotional and physical jetlag, but they're a more skilled team thats been there before, a bunch of times. Just have to come back in game 2 and play the Isles game, because that was not Islanders hockey last night.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I am thinking inserting Boychuck and Komarov into game 2. Maybe even Knuckles. Out comes Greene, Johnston, and Brassard. Hopefully Clutterbuck will be ok for game 2. ID line needs to set the tone, and play better.
I would love to take Toews out of the lineup. His decision making and puck handling was brutal. Unfortunately the only offensive defenseman we have on the Black Aces who plays that side is Noah Dobson and I wouldn't dream of subjecting him to the Bolts. So Toews better clean up his shit fast.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'd start Varlamov in game 2.
I think there's more upside to Varlamov.

Greiss has a history of not being a goalie you want to ride for more than 2 or 3 games in a row. After that Greisser gives you diminishing returns.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think there's more upside to Varlamov.

Greiss has a history of not being a goalie you want to ride for more than 2 or 3 games in a row. After that Greisser gives you diminishing returns.

After looking at the stats against Tampa Bay from the last few years for both Greiss and Varlamov, neither is particularly pretty. I agree though, I'd rather Varlamov get going than go with a hot and cold Greiss.

I don't place much emphasis on regular season series performance, but the Islanders were out shot in every game this year. That trend is likely to continue given the style both teams play. The quality of the shots needs to be decreased dramatically if there is any chance of having an upset.

Reactions: MJF

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would love to take Toews out of the lineup. His decision making and puck handling was brutal. Unfortunately the only offensive defenseman we have on the Black Aces who plays that side is Noah Dobson and I wouldn't dream of subjecting him to the Bolts. So Toews better clean up his shit fast.
Yeah, I was thinking of him instead of Greene out. Greene's GA60 stats in the playoffs have been the best of all Islanders defenders with Leddy. Maybe move Boychuck with Leddy, and move Greene down with Mayfield. You lose a little offence with Toews out, but you gain defence with this move. Not a bad idea.

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad