THE 2019-2020 'ADAM GRAVES' 6 IN 5 THREAD

Do we hit our goal of 96-100pts this year?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Set 3:

Sunday October 27th at Edmonton.
I think we'll actually come out with the good game. Despite being in a different time zone, I think this 4 p.m. start will be to our advantage. It will be like at 6 PM start back home. W

Monday October 28 at Vancouver I'm thinking the back-to-back, as well as changing time zones again, and getting up to play on a Monday won't be a good recipe. Also sucks for the Panthers that the Canucks just blew a huge lead against Washington, so I feel like Canucks will come out guns blazing. L

Wednesday October 30th at Colorado. I think we know what team we're playing now after playing them a couple weeks ago in Florida. Also helps that Rantanen will not be in the lineup. I think the team looks to cap off a successful road trip. W

Saturday November 2nd home to Detroit. Coming home off of long at West Road Trip is always hard. If Detroit plays Jimmy Howard, might be a recipe for disaster as I find he always seems to have our number. L

Thursday November 7th home to Washington. After a possible disastrous game to Detoit, as well as having four days off back home, I feel like the team is going to come out for this game guns a-blazing. No mercy. W

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I'm actually really looking forward to game 3 in Colorado. On Bell ExpressVu in Canada you usually get the home feed. They're guys who do the Colorado games are awesome! Really fun and get right into the game.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
So whatever I said about today's game in the set 3 predictions is wrong. It is a 4 p.m. EST start time, but it will be like 2 p.m. EST with the time change.

I'm still thinking they're going to win today.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
@ThePatientPanther update pls! After every win!

19-20.jpg

104 pt pace? We haven't lost in regulation since CAR.

lowfivecat.gif

We can do better!!!!

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
7 wins vs 7 losses and I know by the NHL point system they are over .500, but for some of us we want to see a winning record. Because if you have a winning record it just “feels” better. Plus if you have a winning record the points normally come with it.
need a winning record to post on the main boards, apparently. :D

*checks schedule*

wtf we play WSH, rest one day, NYI-NYR b2b, rest one day then finish @ BOS?

when does our schedule get easier?

Last edited:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
7 wins vs 7 losses and I know by the NHL point system they are over .500, but for some of us we want to see a winning record. Because if you have a winning record it just “feels” better. Plus if you have a winning record the points normally come with it.
In the EC, 6 of 16 teams have a winning record strictly by W’s, and 11 of 16 have a winning formula by points. I guess both ways of looking at it have a point, of course in the end points is the decider.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
In the EC, 6 of 16 teams have a winning record strictly by W’s, and 11 of 16 have a winning formula by points. I guess both ways of looking at it have a point, of course in the end points is the decider.

Hey they end up 30 - 10 - 42 I’ll take the 102 pts and run to the playoffs, but 46 - 26 -10 sure looks a lot better.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Hey they end up 30 - 10 - 42 I’ll take the 102 pts and run to the playoffs, but 46 - 26 -10 sure looks a lot better.

I'd love for us to go in with more OTL points just to see the rest of the hockey fans foam at the mouth lol

I think the whole debate is actually kind of dumb because OTL is looked down upon, while OTW isn't even talked about. If a team gets most of their wins in OT or shootout, are they really a better team than one that's just getting lots of 'loser points'? 3v3 and shootouts are not real hockey.

I miss the day of ties only so we can stop these stupid discussions on OTLs that completely ignore that what should really matter is regulation wins vs. regulation losses. Based on that we're 5-4-5, which isn't great but is a solid record.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'd love for us to go in with more OTL points just to see the rest of the hockey fans foam at the mouth lol

I think the whole debate is actually kind of dumb because OTL is looked down upon, while OTW isn't even talked about. If a team gets most of their wins in OT or shootout, are they really a better team than one that's just getting lots of 'loser points'? 3v3 and shootouts are not real hockey.

I miss the day of ties only so we can stop these stupid discussions on OTLs that completely ignore that what should really matter is regulation wins vs. regulation losses. Based on that we're 5-4-5, which isn't great but is a solid record.

I say go back to OT, whether 5 mins or 10. Shootout is kind of played out.
If you win in OT, you get 2 points and the "loser" team get none.
If nobody wins, each team get a point.
Puts emphasis on the OT to WIN it, collect two points while keeping the opponent from getting any.

Thoughts?

Reactions: pantherbot

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I say go back to OT, whether 5 mins or 10. Shootout is kind of played out.
If you win in OT, you get 2 points and the "loser" team get none.
If nobody wins, each team get a point.
Puts emphasis on the OT to WIN it, collect two points while keeping the opponent from getting any.

Thoughts?

Yep, just like the old days. That's how I liked it to be honest. But then you get back into the problem of getting into OT and teams playing not to lose etc. and that's why they implemented 4v4, then shootouts, then 3v3. Realistically I don't think we'll ever go back to that because 3v3 and shootout are more exciting for the casual fan. And really...it does add in something different even for the hardcore fans watching a game in February.

I just wish more people would recognize that OTW and OTL is essentially the same thing when it comes to which team is actually better at hockey.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yep, just like the old days. That's how I liked it to be honest. But then you get back into the problem of getting into OT and teams playing not to lose etc. and that's why they implemented 4v4, then shootouts, then 3v3. Realistically I don't think we'll ever go back to that because 3v3 and shootout are more exciting for the casual fan. And really...it does add in something different even for the hardcore fans watching a game in February.

I just wish more people would recognize that OTW and OTL is essentially the same thing when it comes to which team is actually better at hockey.

I agree for most of East vs West games but what about when theres 10-15 games left and you play 60-75% of the remaining games against teams in your conference?

Typically the teams left fighting for wildcard spots or a top 3 division spot would kill each other to keep those teams below/above from getting that extra point no? Those 3-4pts you're trying to not lose in the last 10-15 games could determine you in or out of the playoffs or securing home ice advantage for the first series or two.

The parity in the league seems to be way better than back in the day. Its a team game and the shootout was a cool fad but its run its course imo.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I agree for most of East vs West games but what about when theres 10-15 games left and you play 60-75% of the remaining games against teams in your conference?

Typically the teams left fighting for wildcard spots or a top 3 division spot would kill each other to keep those teams below/above from getting that extra point no? Those 3-4pts you're trying to not lose in the last 10-15 games could determine you in or out of the playoffs or securing home ice advantage for the first series or two.

The parity in the league seems to be way better than back in the day. Its a team game and the shootout was a cool fad but its run its course imo.

Maybe with the parity in the league now teams would be less likely to play it safe. But at least in the past when that was the system, teams were pretty passive in OT. Maybe what they do is not make it sudden death OT in regular season. Have them play out the full 5-10 minutes. That way teams won't be so on edge about being scored on, it'll just be like some extra time. If they ever went to this, I'd still see them sticking with at least 4v4.

Also keep in mind the OTL makes it look like the points are closer than they actually are, keeps more fans more engaged through the season. That probably factors into the decision to keep the current extra point system too even if it isn't really fair.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Also keep in mind the OTL makes it look like the points are closer than they actually are, keeps more fans more engaged through the season. That probably factors into the decision to keep the current extra point system too even if it isn't really fair.

Ya good point. Think this was a major reason to go with the setup they have, to create even more parity and make sure most of the final games have big division/playoff implications which creates more exciting games and turns into more eyes on the prize and money in the league's pocket

Fern111

Dec 20, 2015
Removing OT and SO would be terrible for the sport. I can't imagine many casual fans going to a hockey game if there was a 25% chance (give or take 5%) that the game would end in a tie.

People have soccer for that

Reactions: harv33173

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Removing OT and SO would be terrible for the sport. I can't imagine many casual fans going to a hockey game if there was a 25% chance (give or take 5%) that the game would end in a tie.

Regular season ties wouldn't be a terrible thing to me, if the teams played hard until the clock runs out in a tied game. It got very common for both teams go into a defensive shell the last five minutes in order to "not lose". The league wide ALWGAP mentality that led to the three point OT system.
The same play style would often persist through the OT.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

Even though I can be a hockey purist like many here, I agree that it would be a terrible decision to remove OT/SO, because the league is trying to attract more fans.

The question is whether adding the OT/SO pisses off the hardcore fans more than it entices casual fans. I don’t think there’s any major opposition from hardcore fans and it helps attract new fans.

But, they must never stop the playoff sudden death OT format. That keeps all fans happy, including hardcore ones.

Reactions: harv33173

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad