The 2019-20 Around the League Thread, Pt. VI - Zamboni Goalie Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Unfortunately in this day and age common sense is not common for everyone, civilians and police.

Incidents where the initial call to police is a minor offence ends up in a death or significant injury, you just shake your head at and ask why. How did something that should be routine ends up in such a s-show.

The initial call should have nothing to do with the statement...

Police have shown that they are incapable of handling situations where resisting arrest being handled more strictly is allowed. That authority needs to be taken away from them. How many videos have arisen where police grab someone doing nothing wrong, not resisting in anyways, and then yell "STOP RESISTING" and then mob them, beat them, and sometimes even kill them. That is going too far.

As Aristotle says, to achieve the mean you must bend the warped stick to the opposite extreme, so in these cases we have to strip police of their authority.

I partially agree, and think to be a police officer more education should be needed, but that again is not the point of my statement.

Being perfectly honest your entire statement is actually pretty terrible, as I re read it. It A has very little to do with my statement, B makes a blanket statement off all cops, and C Addresses nothing...

How many arrests to officers make that go perfectly fine?

I agree there should be lots of changes to the US Police, and most of it starts with education, but that has Jack Shit to do with my statement.

If you resist arrest you should receive a punishment why is that hard to agree with? Like in Hockey, if I am fighting with another player, and then I hit the reff or shove him out of the way, I am probably getting a penalty.

Or even in simpler terms, if I did a super small crime, then I resist arrest I could be putting countless other innocent people in danger. Maybe its a chase and I scare someone who falls back and hurts themselves. Any number of things could happen to innocent people. Give it a punishment. Not the life sentience that was in the tweet, but something.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

dude, the reason ppl are piling on prust is now is not the time to have a “commonsense” discussion about punishing or not punishing ppl for resisting arrest.

a man, mr. rayshard brooks, was shot in the back twice in the middle of an international reckoning about police murdering black ppl.

just like now is not the time to say, well semantically it is technically true that all lives matter...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Sure doesn’t pass the smell test that the guy was shot in the back twice while the cop claimed a *drunk* individual was attempting to firing a non lethal weapon at him. I suppose it is possible but it was hardly like the cop was alone.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
dude, the reason ppl are piling on prust is now is not the time to have a “commonsense” discussion about punishing or not punishing ppl for resisting arrest.

a man, mr. rayshard brooks, was shot in the back twice in the middle of an international reckoning about police murdering black ppl.

just like now is not the time to say, well semantically it is technically true that all lives matter...

Sigh...

lets take the conversation elsewhere instead of clogging the around the league thread.

Reactions: I am toxic

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sabres fire Botterill and his assistants. Kevyn Adams the new GM.

The Sabres are a tire fire as well but at least they fire their bad GMs. They just need to stop hiring them in the first place...
Firing a bad one just to hire another bad one isn’t much better. As Burke said to him he doesn’t care about what preceded him, his clock starts on the day he is hired. So, is firing and hiring simply extending the time they are still bad because the gm needs to find out who he wants to keep?

Botterill’s signature moves are the ROR trade in which the return wasn’t adequate as well as the Skinner contract. Skinner is a very good player but he paid elite money and Term for him.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Firing a bad one just to hire another bad one isn’t much better. As Burke said to him he doesn’t care about what preceded him, his clock starts on the day he is hired. So, is firing and hiring simply extending the time they are still bad because the gm needs to find out who he wants to keep?

Botterill’s signature moves are the ROR trade in which the return wasn’t adequate as well as the Skinner contract. Skinner is a very good player but he paid elite money and Term for him.

Have to see how bad Adams is. I suspect based on this ownership groups previous hires not so good, however, the complaints so far have more to do with "lack of experience" or being on a different side of the organization. It may turn out that Adams excels are personnel management and runs things differently than tradition dictates. Though, as with most GMs the odds are he will be bad.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I had to think long and hard if I wanted to say something here, and as much as I think Prust is a doornob, and the video posted in reply brings me nothing but joy, the general statement is valid. I think it goes too far, but there is no doubt resisting arrest should come with a higher punishment than it currently does.

In many cases this has brought more violence including the one this weekend.

Mostly with everything going on right now I think we need to stop and figure out the correct moves forward. It has taken us well the US, 400 years to get here lets make sure we move forward in the correct direction.

Fight or flight is a real thing. People get scared, especially when they're intoxicated. And even more especially when they're black and know what happens to black people in police custody.

It doesn't mean they deserve to die, especially by being shot in the back.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Sabres fire Botterill and his assistants. Kevyn Adams the new GM.

The Sabres are a tire fire as well but at least they fire their bad GMs. They just need to stop hiring them in the first place...
Interesting how the Pegulas literally said Botterill was safe a few short weeks ago.

About time Aquilini did the same thing.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Wan't Botterill a rising star with the Penguins before he was hired by the Sabres? I don't think anyone was predicting he'd be a bad GM at the time.

Reactions: vanuck

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
The Sabres are cleaning house. Just an absolute bloodbath right now.

Dark days for both 1970 expansion cousins.

Wan't Botterill a rising star with the Penguins before he was hired by the Sabres? I don't think anyone was predicting he'd be a bad GM at the time.

Yeah I remember that. He oversaw the Pens farm team too IIRC and was counted as an up-and-coming prospective GM. It was a lot like how Jim Benning and Paul Fenton were seen as rising stars back in the day too.

Now fast forward to 2020; when you look at how highly regarded Benning, Fenton and now Jason Botterill were as assistant GMs once upon a time... it kinda blows my mind to see how poorly they've all fared as GMs. Perhaps it means that, just because you've put in years of service in an NHL front office, it's no guarantee that you're the right guy to be running a team.

It'd be nice to see some new blood in the NHL that isn't strictly all former players. Hire some smart, educated folks for once.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Fired by BUF owners today:

GM
AGM
AGM
AHL Coach
AHL Assistant Coaches
Director of Amateur Scouting
Several Amateur Scouts.

Last edited:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Fired by BUF owners today:

GM
AGM
AGM
AHL Coach
AHL Assistant Coaches
Director of Amateur Scouting
Several Amateur Scouts.
Dare to dream....
xyper.gif

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
This isn't saying much, but at least Frankie interviewed different GM candidates in 2014. I don't know anything about Adams but apparently the Pegulas didn't even look at anybody else for the position which is just weird, especially considering he has virtually no front office experience.

Assuming he's not just there to be a Yes Man, I'm surprised they didn't consider moving Krueger into a role with hockey ops as he's expressed interest in that and has experience in that regard. Not to mention someone like Gallant being available...

archangel2

May 19, 2019

Yeah I remember that. He oversaw the Pens farm team too IIRC and was counted as an up-and-coming prospective GM. It was a lot like how Jim Benning and Paul Fenton were seen as rising stars back in the day too.

Now fast forward to 2020; when you look at how highly regarded Benning, Fenton and now Jason Botterill were as assistant GMs once upon a time... it kinda blows my mind to see how poorly they've all fared as GMs. Perhaps it means that, just because you've put in years of service in an NHL front office, it's no guarantee that you're the right guy to be running a team.

It'd be nice to see some new blood in the NHL that isn't strictly all former players. Hire some smart, educated folks for once.

How is this dark days for us? We have a lot of good prospects, and we are getting better

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

You have the Chayka and Dubas for that right now. Opposite ends when it comes to being able to spend money

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
How is this dark days for us? We have a lot of good prospects, and we are getting better

Having good prospects is far from the only thing needed to build an elite team. As has been seen with other examples around the league with teams who were in perennial rebuilds for the longest time because they couldn't put the rest together.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Not dark days but not sunny days either as the dead weight on this team (Loui E, Myers, Sutter, etc.,) will put an artificially lower ceiling on the club’s prospects. Doomed to mediocrity with Benning handing out these contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad