The 2019-20 Around the League Thread, Pt. VI - Zamboni Goalie Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Johnny, your logic applied to other situations could lead to some really bigoted comments that you would have to admit are fine with you because of your justification that there's nothing wrong with noticing something about a person.

For example, "Hi let me introduce you to my friend PK, isn't his skin dark? Haha" would be completely fine with you?

I would 100% say refer to my friend PK as that black guy with the short hair over there. 100%.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wrong buds. You’re defending Leipsic in a roundabout way, you’re wrong. That’s all there is to it.

What you’re arguing is that it’s absolutely awful to say ‘Wow, Pearson’s wife got fat!’ in a private conversation but totally ok to point her out in public as ‘Yeah, the really fat chick over there is Pearson’s wife.’ This is obviously not the case. They’re the same thing and you can either think both are wrong or both are ok, but you can’t pick and choose.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
What you’re arguing is that it’s absolutely awful to say ‘Wow, Pearson’s wife got fat!’ in a private conversation but totally ok to point her out in public as ‘Yeah, the really fat chick over there is Pearson’s wife.’ This is obviously not the case. They’re the same thing and you can either think both are wrong or both are ok, but you can’t pick and choose.

Nope. You missed it .... again.

difference is noting someone’s weight , color, creed, hair length, vs being derogatory with it.

noticing someone is black = ok!

Putting them down because they are black = not okay.

Get it?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Capitals did the right thing by axing the goof. That being said, let’s call a spade a spade. If it’s a top 6 player , they are not cutting him. Ovi could say 10x worse, and be fine.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I would 100% say refer to my friend PK as that black guy with the short hair over there. 100%.

Your response literally defines bigotry.
Definition of bigotry
1: obstinate or intolerant devotion to one's own opinions and prejudices

Definition of intolerant
1: unable or unwilling to endure
2a: unwilling to grant equal freedom of expression especially in religious matters
b: unwilling to grant or share social, political, or professional rights

When you define a visible minority by their race in a social setting their right to feel included in society is subtly undermined. If that’s the first thing that comes to mind to you when you think about a person then that’s just plain ugly. That’s what most people realize and it’s why most would be uncomfortable to listen to someone ignorantly and needlessly reducing PK Subban’s description to his skin colour and hair colour. Why not say, “my friend PK, he’s the guy over there wearing the Habs hat” instead if you can avoid trampling over PK’s right to not be defined by his skin colour if he doesn’t want to be? I’m not saying never refer to PK’s skin or hair colour ever, I’m saying there is a line of appropriateness that if you cross you’re heading into territory you don’t want to be in.

Reactions: MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Nope. You missed it .... again.

difference is noting someone’s weight , color, creed, hair length, vs being derogatory with it.

noticing someone is black = ok!

Putting them down because they are black = not okay.

Get it?

Again, you’re saying that it’s ok to say ‘I bought this car off a super fat chick’ but not to say ‘Wow, that chick was really fat’ in a private conversation. Which is obviously totally inconsistent and totally ridiculous.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Your response literally defines bigotry.

When you define a visible minority by their race in a social setting their right to feel included in society is subtly undermined. If that’s the first thing that comes to mind to you when you think about a person then that’s just plain ugly. That’s what most people realize and it’s why most would be uncomfortable to listen to someone ignorantly and needlessly reducing PK Subban’s description to his skin colour and hair colour. Why not say, “my friend PK, he’s the guy over there wearing the Habs hat” instead if you can avoid trampling over PK’s right to not be defined by his skin colour if he doesn’t want to be? I’m not saying never refer to PK’s skin or hair colour ever, I’m saying there is a line of appropriateness that if you cross you’re heading into territory you don’t want to be in.

Why would PK be wearing a Habs hat? Your argument is invalid now.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
Leipsic said some stuff. Some off-key, lowbrow stuff. Stuff that those who've played sports in a lockeroom have no doubt heard before. That doesn't justify it, but he sure ain't the only one.

I'm not a fan of this sort of cancel culture but he sewered himself.

He spoke ill of his linemates and admitted to doing coke on a team that already dealt with Kuznetsov being caught a year prior. Not to mention the derogatory comments about natives, the fat shaming, and women.

Leipsic screwed himself out of a few million dollars and like-minded players will look at this as a cautionary tale. Anyone in your inner circle can blow the doors open at any time with a simple screenshot. Players will be further encouraged to stifle their personality.

And for the most part, it may be for the better.

Last edited by a moderator:

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
No matter who you are, understand that anything you say, share, type or react to on platforms that save logs can be unearthed and made public. Leipsics learned in a rough manner the difference between private face-to-face conversation and private online conversation with the same clique of people.

And if one talks about forgetting to wear long johns, one will have ads about long johns because the phone in their pocket keeps listening ;)

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Akim Aliu putting Steve Downie on blast:

It was the year I’d left my family home in Toronto to go play hockey in the OHL. I was just a raw 16-year-old kid with a big ol’ dream that he’d make it to the show one day. Nothing unusual about me, really. But from the moment I joined the Windsor Spitfires, I had a target on my back. There was this guy on the team — he was the top-prospect, future-NHL-star type that most junior teams in Canada have — and he looked at me, Akim Aliu, and chose to make my life a living hell.

First couple of practices he put Tiger Balm in my jock. Then he took my gear outside and threw it on the roof. And then he began to belittle me in front of my teammates, the coaches, whoever would listen to him. He’d make fun of my clothes, the way I spoke. He was two years older than me and a rising star, and he wielded his power over me like I was nothing — like I was subhuman.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/hockey-is-not-for-everyone-akim-aliu-nhl

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Everyone knew this was Downie ages ago, he's a known clown

Sucks for Aliu and glad it's being brought to attention but not sure why he acts like he was a future NHL'er

Given what happened to him in Junior, I don’t think it’s completely offside for him to suggest this played a big role in his career.

But still, that’s the wrong takeaway from this article. What he experienced is ugly, brutal and tragic and has no place in society, never mind hockey. We need leaders in communities and sport to stamp out this sort of racist bullshit wherever it rears its head.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
FTR, I don't think Aliu would've been a good bet to make the NHL regardless if his numbers in junior were anything to go by. But that's not what's important here. It's the way he was treated which of course is plain wrong and disheartening.

In an era where Ahmaud Arbery's killers can still go scot-free for 2 months before action is finally taken, this is an ugly reminder of the dark side of hockey and society in general.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Word is leaking out about the NHL's proposed 24-team playoff format. Canucks are slated to play Minnesota in the elimination round; and if they win that, then they play the Avalanche.

TSN is labeling the Canucks-Wild as one of their 'upset specials', with the Wild winning. The figuring is that the Wild's suffocating defense will be too much for the Canucks 'run and gun' style of play.

But barring being upset in the first round, a Canucks -Avalanche series would be wildly entertaining, regardless of the outcome.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I find it heartbreaking think about how many extremely gifted and talented hockey players probably left the game early because they ran into abuse/bullying/racism/homophobia at some point along the development path.
Yeah... and still ongoing. And how the abuse being part of the system means that the abusers are the ones who thrive, so you can only imagine how entrenched in the scene the abusers still are...

Everyone knew this was Downie ages ago, he's a known clown

Sucks for Aliu and glad it's being brought to attention but not sure why he acts like he was a future NHL'er
Getting assaulted repeatedly, singled out and traumatized at 15 years old can have a hugely negative impact on someone's career...

We'll never know if he may or may not have been an NHL'er without this BS but I know that when I was 15 there's no way I could handled this kind of stuff and been productive on the ice. I doubt most 15 year olds could. At 31 he's talking about how the comments he gets still impact him every time even though he says he uses it for fuel.

We get upset here when MacEwan gets called up and then sits on the bench watching Eriksson float, it feels like he's not getting the shot he deserves and he has limited time to make it in the show. Or how Gaudette almost got sent down to start the season in favour of Schaller's corpse sliding around on the ice. Meanwhile Aliu gets sent to the ECHL for a quarter of a big developmental season for looking different, how could it not effect his career?

But barring being upset in the first round, a Canucks -Avalanche series would be wildly entertaining, regardless of the outcome.
I'd love to see it, I hope it happens. A whole series of Hughes vs Makar, amazing. Pettersson loves playing vs the Avs too.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Yeah... and still ongoing. And how the abuse being part of the system means that the abusers are the ones who thrive, so you can only imagine how entrenched in the scene the abusers still are...

Getting assaulted repeatedly, singled out and traumatized at 15 years old can have a hugely negative impact on someone's career...
By his teammates AND his coach.

And having nobody stand up for you.

All because he was born the wrong color.

:smh at all of you small-minded insecure bitter people who feel the need to make someone's else life worse to make themselves feel better.

Bill Peters can suck a dick. Effing jackass.

Reactions: vanuck

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Also worth noting that Hockey Canada brought Downie to the WJHC a few months after the incident.

Anyway, Gare Joyce touched on Aliu, some of his background, the incident, and the aftermath a bunch of years back in his book Future Greats and Heartbreaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
The season has officially ended and yet both Team Tank and Team Playoffs are still as viable as ever :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleach Clean
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad