The 2018 Panthers off-season thread-Petrovic is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Honestly its likely both Dads and Nick can be better than they were last year.

I still dont think Nick is long for the team though, his replacements are knocking at the door. Again it is not personal with Nick. I just dont see the huge draw. But maybe with a healthy offseason and some luck he repeats the feat. That is sure better than the alternative than some are choosing to ignore.

If the Panthers win no one will care.

Honestly Nick had his most point with Dads, on both Sides G and A, if they get better along the Bjugstad will get far more Points then last Season. Possibel if he stays healthy and Dad and the other Team let them play like last Year. ^^

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If we're trading Reimer, it'll be next year when Jokinens buy out comes off the books and we will only have 2 years left of retention for Jason emers.

We have depth everywhere now, why are we in such a hurry to reverse that?
We could let a forward go (Haley or Mack) but doubtful it happens. McGinn is in a contract year and should bust his ass for a new deal so I think this is the team we're going with come October, tons of competition will drive higher compete levels and camp will answer the final question marks.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
If were trading Reimer, it'll be next year when Jokinens buy out comes off the books and we will only have 2 years left of retention for Jason emers.

We have depth everywhere now, why are we in such a hurry to reverse that?
We could let a forward go (Haley or Mack) but doubtful it happens. McGinn is in a contract year and should bust his ass for a new deal so I think this is the team we're going with come October, tons of competition will drive higher compete levels and camp will dictate the final question marks.

Agreed we are strong in all positions, we are in good shape right now. We're 8 defensemen deep, meaning nhl quality defensemen, 3 goalies deep, and we have a lot of solid forwards. We have a good top 6 forward group and good offense from the backend. A lot of competition and only half the roster is guaranteed a spot. It's looking good. We can withatand some injuries. Why would we want to change t ha t.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
We could let a forward go (Haley or Mack) but doubtful it happens.
If Repo is 6'3"/215 as he said, then he has put on the extra weight to serve as a semi enforcer ala guys like Roussel, Abdelkader, Watson or Manson. These guys can actually play the game a step above Haley and contribute. The fly in the ointment is "stoopid penalties" and the fact Boo luvs Haley.

He heads to Springfield to show his wares. Let's see if he's lost quickness with the weight gain. If he does well then there is no reason they can't give him a shot at Haley's job at some point.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
What is all this talk of quality depth? Depth, sure, but quality? Maybe amongst the prospects, but Reimer/McGinn/MacKenzie/Haley/Petrovic/Pysyk represent expensive fat that needs to be trimmed.

Keep one of Petro or Pysyk as the #6 with McCoshen as the call-up and trash everyone else.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Your starting 2018/2019 Florida Panthers (based on Bougie and not what I'd do)

Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugs
Huberdeau-Trocheck-Hoffman
Vatrano-Borgstrom-McCann
Haley-MacKenzie-Sceviour

Scratches: McGinn, Malgin

Yandle-Ekblad
Matheson-Kiselevich
Weegar-Pysyk

Scratches-Petrovic (if he stays) McCoshen otherwise

Lu
Reimer

Hoffman on RW allows for a solid top 6 while giving Bjugs the best chance to succeed

The signing of Kiselevich allows Pysyk, who was very overmatched last year on the 2nd pair, to go back to the 3rd pair where he's always been good.

Hopefully McGinn and Malgin rotate in frequently for Dmac and Haley.

If the core players stay healthy, and the goaltending is fine (Luongo plays well when he's healthy and hopefully misses less games), this is easily a WC team in the weak east.

Oh and if they remember the season starts in October this year.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
What is all this talk of quality depth? Depth, sure, but quality? Maybe amongst the prospects, but Reimer/McGinn/MacKenzie/Haley/Petrovic/Pysyk represent expensive fat that needs to be trimmed.

Keep one of Petro or Pysyk as the #6 with McCoshen as the call-up and trash everyone else.

Petro or Pysyk as the #7 is not expensive fat. That's great depth. If you want to go deep in the postseason that's the kind of depth you need.

McGinn is a gritty 30 pt forward that brings an element we need. He's not that expeND able at all. His contract is a tad on the high side but not by much.

Reimer is a good 1B who had a .913 save percentage in 42 games. He's a more than capable backup and I'll never understand the flack he gets here.

MacKenzie-Haley are trash we all know that, but strictly talent wise they are our 14th and 15th best forwards in the organization. That's better than a few teams. Ideally they wouldn't be playing at all except for fortnight on the pressbox if we're healthy.

You need solid depth in all positions if you want to make the playoffs.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Petro or Pysyk as the #7 is not expensive fat. That's great depth. If you want to go deep in the postseason that's the kind of depth you need.

McGinn is a gritty 30 pt forward that brings an element we need. He's not that expeND able at all. His contract is a tad on the high side but not by much.

Reimer is a good 1B who had a .913 save percentage in 42 games. He's a more than capable backup and I'll never understand the flack he gets here.

MacKenzie-Haley are trash we all know that, but strictly talent wise they are our 14th and 15th best forwards in the organization. That's better than a few teams. Ideally they wouldn't be playing at all except for fortnight on the pressbox if we're healthy.

You need solid depth in all positions if you want to make the playoffs.
We still have Petro and McCoshen at the n.7 D spot... I assume McCoshen starts the season in the AHL since he's waiver extempt?

McCann should take over MacKenzie's PK duties over the next season and hopefully Mamin, Repo or someone in the minors will eventually replace Haley.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica

With our quality depth 4 of those 6 should never touch the ice. Its light years better than previous seasons.

Reactions: Ratsreign

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
We still have Petro and McCoshen at the n.7 D spot... I assume McCoshen starts the season in the AHL since he's waiver extempt?

McCann should take over MacKenzie's PK duties over the next season and hopefully Mamin, Repo or someone in the minors will eventually replace Haley.

Yeah Cosh is waiver exempt

Hopefully Repo embraces this season to adjust to being a pest in North America, and learns to fight. Idk if he's a good fighter already, but more practice couldn't hurt I guess. Then next season he should have an opening waiting for him.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
If Boughner start with that Line again in the next Season, he recap and research of last Year must oversaw something big.

Haley(-13/9P/75G)-MacKenzie(-9/14P/PkPlayer/75G)-Sceviour(+6/24P/PkPlayer/76G)

hmmmmm ....... where is the difference and what looking wrong here.

we're dreaming if we think bough isn't going to play them. i will gladly remove my foot from my mouth if im proven wrong.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
we're dreaming if we think bough isn't going to play them. i will gladly remove my foot from my mouth if im proven wrong.

In the Process makeing this Team better and add the younger Players, they will do it. There is no Way you can pass on this. When you only bring the 4th Line from -9 and -13 to -6 and -6. It would mean we get 10 goals less, 10 Goals, could be 2-5 Games we could win more or 2 wins and 3 Ot more then lost. You try to improve in every Way otherwise you want reach the PO.
Even our Owner and GM always talk about improving the Team the Organisation.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Boogy's lineup:

Huberdeau - Barkov - Bjugstad
Hoffman - Trocheck - Dadonov
McGinn - McCann - Malgin
Haley - Mackenzie - Sceviour

Bench/Scratches: Vatrano, Tippett, Borgström, Mamin

My lineup:

Huberdeau - Barkov - Dadonov
Hoffman - Trocheck - Malgin
Vatrano - Borgström - Bjugstad
Tippett - McCann - Sceviour

Bench/Scratches: Mamin, McGinn, Mackenzie, Haley

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
a lineup i wouldnt mind seeing:

Bjugstad-Barkov-Dadonov
Hoffman-Trocheck-Vatrano
Huberdeau-Borgstrom-Malgin
McGinn-McCann-Sceviour

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Nick playing out of position to move Huby down to the third line, is not so likely.
Out of position? ok, then:

Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad

doesnt make a difference.

the point is to spread the wealth. nick can produce on the top line (obviously), but he wouldnt be able to on the lower lines. huberdeau should still be able to produce down there plus its gives borgstrom a weapon to work with and allows us to roll 3 strong, evenly distributed lines. i dont expect that to happen and expect hoffman to be flipped to the rw to play with huberdeau and trocheck, or play on barkovs lw with dads on rw. but i like the idea of having one of the stronger players to play along side borg. we saw that the dads-barkov-bjug line can work, meaning we can spread the others out if we want.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Olax

Jun 15, 2009
I am also hoping that the firepower within forwards would be spread into 3 lines. Like FrolikFan said, the first line of Dads-Barky-Bjugy worked and I think it maximizes the value of Bjugstad without hindering the other 2 that much. The other 2 lines might need some initial rotating to find the players that fit together. I would personally swap Vatrano and Malgin from FrolikFan's lineup to balance out the shooters/playmakers in those lines. Vatrano would be the shooter on the 3rd line and Hoffman/Trocheck on the 2nd line. Maybe rotate Tippett on the 2nd-3rd line RW spot depending who's hot and who's not.

Dadonov - Barkov - Bjugstad
Hoffman - Trocheck - Malgin/Tippett
Huberdeau - Borgström - Vatrano/Tippett
Mamin - McCann - Sceviour

Scratches: McGinn, MacKenzie, Haley, (Tippett)

While writing this I notice how tough it is to project our "bottom 6". Although I see this depth as a good thing, I am worried for guys like Mamin, Vatrano and McCann in case they are pushed too low/out of the lineup because of guys like McK or Haley. I don't mind having McGinn on the 4th line except for having to drop Mamin out. I think the main revolving door (not considering injuries) will be the middle six RW spots.

-L-

Reactions: Chaos2k7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad