The 2018 Panthers off-season thread-Petrovic is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
I think if we add another top 6 guy that means salary has to go the other way. The most likely guy should be Bjugstad but I can't see Tallon moving him. McGinn is another guy but he has less value. Tallon is on record saying he wants stability and isn't buying out MacK so I have trouble believing he'd move either of them. Only situation is if a star player like Panarin was a realistic target but even then the price in players and salary may be too high. Tallon is also high on Tippet who might be a top 6 addition, tbd on him.

I'm very happy with our forward group except for the 4C.
Valid points. Although I think as each day passes Bergevin feels more and more pressure to make a move and Patch’s value goes down further as his final year of his contract approaches.

I tell ya I would love to sign Perron. Shift Hubby back to first line. A second line of Hoffman Trocheck and Perron would be amazing and finally give Trocheck two linemates who can mesh well with him.

This is all assuming we don’t land Panarin LOL.

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
Getting Pacioretty wouldn't really improve that since he'd be the third LW. Unless Hoffman, Pac or Huberdeau can play RW, but that's not a given that they can.
If there are +50 points RW available for a reasonable price, I don't mind. But I don't know of any on the market.
I think I’ve heard Hoffman used to play RW but not positive.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Valid points. Although I think as each day passes Bergevin feels more and more pressure to make a move and Patch’s value goes down further as his final year of his contract approaches.

I tell ya I would love to sign Perron. Shift Hubby back to first line. A second line of Hoffman Trocheck and Perron would be amazing and finally give Trocheck two linemates who can mesh well with him.

This is all assuming we don’t land Panarin LOL.
They may keep Patches and flip him at the trade deadline too. I don't think Montreal gives him away for a cheap price. Patches to me would be a one full season rental for us.

Perron would be nice but he is going to be looking for a big contract because he's a 30 year old UFA. He can kill penalties too which is something worth adding to the lineup. I think he could do well anywhere in the top 9. James Neal is another option. I think Tallon doesn't do much moving forward. Hoffman was a big addition.

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
They may keep Patches and flip him at the trade deadline too. I don't think Montreal gives him away for a cheap price. Patches to me would be a one full season rental for us.

Perron would be nice but he is going to be looking for a big contract because he's a 30 year old UFA. He can kill penalties too which is something worth adding to the lineup. I think he could do well anywhere in the top 9. James Neal is another option. I think Tallon doesn't do much moving forward. Hoffman was a big addition.
Man Neal would be amazing, but his ask is going to be insane I’m sure.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Florida doesn't have cap room for any UFAs and Tallon already said no one's moving so not sure where the money's going to come from.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I think if we add another top 6 guy that means salary has to go the other way. The most likely guy should be Bjugstad but I can't see Tallon moving him. McGinn is another guy but he has less value. Tallon is on record saying he wants stability and isn't buying out MacK so I have trouble believing he'd move either of them. Only situation is if a star player like Panarin was a realistic target but even then the price in players and salary may be too high. Tallon is also high on Tippet who might be a top 6 addition, tbd on him.

I'm very happy with our forward group except for the 4C.

But here we are in my Sight is this the wrong move, maybe gives you a better friendship with the Players. But it would be McKenzie and McGinn there are few more Players i would care for.
And then why he goes after a 3rd Goalie? Sure Loungo want to play some more Games, but when you hear we go after a solid 3rd Goalie. You also know there are really aware of the Injury Situation with Loungo and how much Games he is possible to play. In the same Thread they also smiled and laugh about, when they talked if there is any future moves/Jobs for Loungo.

In my Eyes listen that like they work hard how and when its over and will he the next Goalie Coach.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Florida doesn't have cap room for any UFAs and Tallon already said no one's moving so not sure where the money's going to come from.

Maybe Viola allows Tallon to spend a little (hopefully). As it is, we are 1.7 below in real dollars vs our actual cap hit. So hopefully he gives him a bit more wiggle room.

*IF* we base it on that DeFranks article, I think 75 was figure thrown around as the internal cap.

So that gives Tallon about 6 mill to spend.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Just saying.. Rick Nash. I would loved him few years ago. Now he's done but.. He's considering retirement and we tend to take on these retirement ponders often. I say we're gonna sign him and see him play like 20 games

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

From the owners, the have 8.5M cap space with 2 depth D-men needed, or 1 if they add 1 without losing anybody from the roster.
Few contracts are dropping out next year without major signings needed.

They could go all in if they wanted, but I'd never spent that money on a player like Pac, easy way to get into cap hell a'la Chiarelli.

Too bad Green is getting linked to Detroit, 2 year deal for him would have been good, the cap battle(potentially) starts in 2 years for Florida.

Edit,
With Vatrano there's no 14 forwards on contracts, the easy pick to waive is Hailey, but I bet one of the kids get punished.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
Just saying.. Rick Nash. I would loved him few years ago. Now he's done but.. He's considering retirement and we tend to take on these retirement ponders often. I say we're gonna sign him and see him play like 20 games

I hope we've learned if ur signing someone on the decline, they better have heart (a la jagr) or they will just Vrbata their way into retirement.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Bjugstad is ok but I think this past year is the best we are going to see out of him and that’s assuming he stays healthy for the whole season again. Would love for us to try and add a top 6 guy.
People here make statements like this all the time, making it seem like “of course Bjugstad can’t get better” and “of course he’s not a top 6 guy” etc etc.

In reality people don’t know, and it’s rather annoying that they don’t acknowledge a couple of objective facts, which could very well result in an even better season for Bjugstad than the last.

He was injury free more or less, and thus has the first summer in a long time where he’s able to train properly on all aspects of his game.

His shooting percentage is likely to improve, partly because of the training and partly because he’s a competitor and partly because it really can’t get much worse.

His defensive game took a huge stride forward last season and it’s logical to expect it to be the same or better.

The NHL has changed in terms of severe head hits - there are less headhunters and more skill people. Bjugstad should benefit from this.

Bjugstad has more experience in the injury avoidance department. He’s becoming a smart player. He can live up to his contract.

I don’t expect any of his detractors to come back and admit they were wrong after Nick pots 60+ points, unless he does it with Haley and MacK as his line mates...

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
People here make statements like this all the time, making it seem like “of course Bjugstad can’t get better” and “of course he’s not a top 6 guy” etc etc.

In reality people don’t know, and it’s rather annoying that they don’t acknowledge a couple of objective facts, which could very well result in an even better season for Bjugstad than the last.

He was injury free more or less, and thus has the first summer in a long time where he’s able to train properly on all aspects of his game.

His shooting percentage is likely to improve, partly because of the training and partly because he’s a competitor and partly because it really can’t get much worse.

His defensive game took a huge stride forward last season and it’s logical to expect it to be the same or better.

The NHL has changed in terms of severe head hits - there are less headhunters and more skill people. Bjugstad should benefit from this.

Bjugstad has more experience in the injury avoidance department. He’s becoming a smart player. He can live up to his contract.

I don’t expect any of his detractors to come back and admit they were wrong after Nick pots 60+ points, unless he does it with Haley and MacK as his line mates...

So basically if he gets hurt again for the 4th time in what would be his last 5 seasons, what do we do then? Pay for someone to take the contract?

He has some value now. We all know he is not a long term piece on wing moving forward, one way or another. He is not a $5 million 3rd line guy for the next season. And his defense improved as he skated with probably the two best defensive players as well as being the strongest offensive players.

Objective facts.

One season doesnt mean he is a penciled in for anything. He looked good. He was healthy, for once.

I still say you could put Colton Sceviour on the top line and he too would have looked good, is he a 5 million dollar man, or a top six guy?

The difference is Colton can get 30 points in the bottom 6, Nick cant, we already know this.

I hope if Nick is on the team next year he hits 60 points. Doesnt mean I am holding my breathe, he still has lots to prove, and isnt a long term guy, regardless of what anyone thinks of him.

Place holder.

Reactions: Breaking Dadonov

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018

Have you watched his game? He’s very reliant on his own line mates and has shown he can’t create for himself. It’s not just about points either. Bjugstad had one of the least impressive nearly 20 goal, 50 point seasons I have ever seen. His game leaves a lot to be desired. He’s a great guy though, met him twice so I’m rooting for I’m, but we could do better at first line wing.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Have you watched his game? He’s very reliant on his own line mates and has shown he can’t create for himself. It’s not just about points either. Bjugstad had one of the least impressive nearly 20 goal, 50 point seasons I have ever seen. His game leaves a lot to be desired. He’s a great guy though, met him twice so I’m rooting for I’m, but we could do better at first line wing.
The obsession we have with some home grown mediocre favorites, is funny.

Alot of people would look good in that spot. Doesnt make it personal, or anyone saying he is useless or a bad guy. He just isnt a fit for where we are going.

Reactions: Breaking Dadonov

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
So basically if he gets hurt again for the 4th time in what would be his last 5 seasons, what do we do then? Pay for someone to take the contract?
Unless he gets a serious injury that's going to affect the rest of his career, I don't see his value dropping to the same level it was last offseason. If that's the logic you're going to use for getting rid of players, every player in the league is one unfortunate play away from suffering that fate. You can't plan for injuries like that and basing your asset management around it is a terrible idea.

He has some value now. We all know he is not a long term piece on wing moving forward, one way or another. He is not a $5 million 3rd line guy for the next season. And his defense improved as he skated with probably the two best defensive players as well as being the strongest offensive players.

Objective facts.
Bjugs defensive game was already better at the beginning of the season, when he played with not so good defensive players. He did the heavy lifting on McCann's line (whoever the 3rd wheel happened to be on that given day), where he basically took care of McCann's d-zone responsibilities around the net & behind the goal line. Same thing when he played with Trocheck and sometimes with Barkov when he was trailing the play (which doesn't happen that often).

This is yet another attempt to put Bjugstad's improved play purely on playing with better players. Yes, playing with better players makes his life easier, but it's far from the only reason why he looked good. The guy busted his ass off the whole season regardless of who he played with and still gets little to no credit around these parts.

One season doesnt mean he is a penciled in for anything. He looked good. He was healthy, for once.

I still say you could put Colton Sceviour on the top line and he too would have looked good, is he a 5 million dollar man, or a top six guy?

The difference is Colton can get 30 points in the bottom 6, Nick cant, we already know this.
Bjugs was on pace for 40pts at the beginning of the season, playing on the 3rd line (before you bring up Tro/Barkov, this was before that promotion happened) with McCann and a revolving 3rd wheel..

And why did you bring up Sceviour hitting 30pts in the bottom6? 1) he's never reached that total, and 2) he's gone up&down the line-up, thus skewing the amount of points he's actually reached playing with worse linemates.

Is this not a good thing? You need players on your team that get the job done offensively, while taking care of things at the other end too. It doesn't always have to be flashy and eye popping. Not everyone can cherry pick in the neutral zone and get (at least) 5 breakaways per game like Dadonov does, you know.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Unless he gets a serious injury that's going to affect the rest of his career, I don't see his value dropping to the same level it was last offseason. If that's the logic you're going to use for getting rid of players, every player in the league is one unfortunate play away from suffering that fate. You can't plan for injuries like that and basing your asset management around it is a terrible idea.

Bjugs defensive game was already better at the beginning of the season, when he played with not so good defensive players. He did the heavy lifting on McCann's line (whoever the 3rd wheel happened to be on that given day), where he basically took care of McCann's d-zone responsibilities around the net & behind the goal line. Same thing when he played with Trocheck and sometimes with Barkov when he was trailing the play (which doesn't happen that often).

This is yet another attempt to put Bjugstad's improved play purely on playing with better players. Yes, playing with better players makes his life easier, but it's far from the only reason why he looked good. The guy busted his ass off the whole season regardless of who he played with and still gets little to no credit around these parts.

Bjugs was on pace for 40pts at the beginning of the season, playing on the 3rd line (before you bring up Tro/Barkov, this was before that promotion happened) with McCann and a revolving 3rd wheel..

And why did you bring up Sceviour hitting 30pts in the bottom6? 1) he's never reached that total, and 2) he's gone up&down the line-up, thus skewing the amount of points he's actually reached playing with worse linemates.

Is this not a good thing? You need players on your team that get the job done offensively, while taking care of things at the other end too. It doesn't always have to be flashy and eye popping. Not everyone can cherry pick in the neutral zone and get (at least) 5 breakaways per game like Dadonov does, you know.

In your opinion.

Also how many offsides were caused per game by Nick cheating ahead of the play, just trying to stay with those two off the rush? RW is the least defensively responsible spot you can play him, its why he was moved from the third line.

Dadonov was light years better defensively than Nick in the second half.

You maiximize the value of a non essential piece like Nick. He will not be in the top 6 by the end of the season. And you dont put 5 million dollar players in a defensive role they cannot handle.

If he is so good defensively it should only drive up his price.

Last edited:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
In your opinion.

Also how many offsides were caused per game by Nick cheating ahead of the play, just trying to stay with those two off the rush? RW is the least defensively responsible spot you can play him, its why he was moved from the third line.

Dadonov was light years better defensively than Nick in the second half.

You maiximize the value of a non essential piece like Nick. He will not be in the top 6 by the end of the season. And you dont put 5 million dollar players in a defensive role they cannot handle.

If he is so good defensively it should only drive up his price.
How many of those said offsides happened because the puck handler took the puck over the line and then back again though? Yeah, it looks bad when one player constantly goes offside, but don't you think the other players on that player's line should look in the mirror a bit too if it keeps happening?

Idk what you've been watching, but the bolded simply isn't true. Dadonov was one of our worst defensive forwards throughout the season, both in terms of positioning and anticipation. He had some flashes from time to time where you could see the potential if he wanted to put more effort into that side of his game, but he just didn't do it nearly regularly enough. He's an offense first guy and we should be fine with it, as long as he keeps on producing points.

If Bjugstad is surpassed by one of the younger players this season (unless Tippett has a hell of a camp + season or Borg starts playing wing, I doubt it), that's fine. You trade him at the TDL or next offseason. As I already said a couple days ago in this same thread, I don't see him regressing back to his old habits. We don't need to trade him just to maximise the return, we have enough picks & prospects to get along.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
How many of those said offsides happened because the puck handler took the puck over the line and then back again though? Yeah, it looks bad when one player constantly goes offside, but don't you think the other players on that player's line should look in the mirror a bit too if it keeps happening?

Idk what you've been watching, but the bolded simply isn't true. Dadonov was one of our worst defensive forwards throughout the season, both in terms of positioning and anticipation. He had some flashes from time to time where you could see the potential if he wanted to put more effort into that side of his game, but he just didn't do it nearly regularly enough. He's an offense first guy and we should be fine with it, as long as he keeps on producing points.

If Bjugstad is surpassed by one of the younger players this season (unless Tippett has a hell of a camp + season or Borg starts playing wing, I doubt it), that's fine. You trade him at the TDL or next offseason. As I already said a couple days ago in this same thread, I don't see him regressing back to his old habits. We don't need to trade him just to maximise the return, we have enough picks & prospects to get along.

I don´t like to get into another once Discussion, special when we talk about him. Everyone knows here he is not my favorit Player on this Team, belongs on the fact of Payment, and art of Job he delivered.
I only want to join in, in the Part of Offsides he produced. And sorry he mostly produced Offside cause he jumped to early in the Zone, forgot to get out of the Zone or get pushed into the Zone. First one was his most produced Offside last Season, other two mix it Up. And that was consistant with any Line he played, with Huberdeau/tro and with Barkov/Dad.
I even can remember where Huberdeau loses his nervs about Bjugstad again jumped into the Offside, while Huberdeau come in with Speed.

Later on the found a Way to help him with the Dadonv Rush and then Bjugstad join in as late asset of the Play going straight to the Net. But in conclusion means both Lines had Problem with him, that he doesnt looked how they enter the Zone.

Sorry not the Puck Carrier should watch if other once jump in offside. The Player must watch if the Puck Carrier enter the Zone, special on a Team like us who playing mostly with a rushing system.

It was the same Situation as Trocheck and Huberdeau had problem with Malgin. About Malgin always make an extra swing and put the other two on his Line into the Offside.
So Offside was a serious problem for our Linechemistry and Offensive Movement.

Last edited:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
We all know he is not a long term piece on wing moving forward, one way or another.
This is exactly what I mean.

“We all know...”

That can’t possibly be true because even you don’t KNOW. You OPINE.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Inaccurate for the past season.

You ask me if I’ve watched Nick play (I’m a STH). The better question is, have you ever played this game yourself? If you have, you’ll know that there are no guarantees. Like, there’s no guarantee Dadonov will be a scoring machine next season. Likewise there’s no guarantee Nick will get better. But I think the odds are good that he will, like the odds are good that Dadonov will have another great season.

It’s only logical that Nick will get better, if you look at his recovery from the various injuries and his steady improvement throughout last season.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Honestly its likely both Dads and Nick can be better than they were last year.

I still dont think Nick is long for the team though, his replacements are knocking at the door. Again it is not personal with Nick. I just dont see the huge draw. But maybe with a healthy offseason and some luck he repeats the feat. That is sure better than the alternative than some are choosing to ignore.

If the Panthers win no one will care.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
This is exactly what I mean.

“We all know...”

That can’t possibly be true because even you don’t KNOW. You OPINE.

They are drafting top 6 wingers and letting them play themselves onto the roster. Its a matter of time.

Thats not even mentioning the other guys on the roster that are just as talented as Nick. Vats, Malgin, etc.

This is what Dale wanted for a long time, competition, we will see who wins out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad