FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd be cool with

1st - Edmonton - Matthews
2nd - Colorado - Laine
3rd - Buffalo - Chychrun/Pulju/Dubois
4th - Toronto - Chychrun/Pulju/Dubois

Oilers 1st for the lulz, us 2nd cause Laine would be perfect, Buffalo third to keep more top talents going to the eastern conference (while disliking 'Lumbus), and Toronto getting 4th after losing all of the lottery spots to send another talent out east.

Worst case scenario for me would be something like:

1st - Winnipeg - Matthews
2nd - Calgary - Laine
3rd - Arizona - Pulju/Dubois
4th - Edmonton - Chychrun

Matthews to the central to give the Jets the franchise C that they're missing; Laine to a potential WC competitor who desperately needs a top line RW to feed off Gaudreau; with the third & fourth picks going to more teams who could become WC competitors in the near future. F*** that noise.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
A Russian named German? I'm intrigued.

He's a big body C, with good skill, hockey-sense & two-way potential. I agree with Henchy that we very well may see the team picking between Rubtsov & Gauthier based on how they feel about Rantanen at Center.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Id love

1st--Avs
2nd--Arz
3rd--EDM

Avs trade down with Arz and pick up another asset and still get Laine
Arz can get Matthews
EDM can get Pulju to play with Mcjesus.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Id love

1st--Avs
2nd--Arz
3rd--EDM

Arz can get Matthews

I don't want Arizona getting Matthews. Wouldn't be as bad as the Jets or Wild getting him. But with Matthews leading the way, the Yotes could become a terrifying team down the road and help turn that Pacific division into a serious threat to the WC spots. There's already a lot of young talent in the desert and a franchise C would set them up for an extremely loaded forward core. The D isn't very impressive behind OEL, but there's a few pieces to work with, and more than enough forward-talent + future-picks to fill out the D by the time their kids develop.

...if Tippett doesn't neuter too much of that young talent first...

So unless we win the lottery for that top spot and the Yotes are offering us OEL for it, I'd much rather Matthews go to either the Oilers or the eastern conference.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Id love

1st--Avs
2nd--Arz
3rd--EDM

Arz can get Matthews

I'd rather we just take Matthews because we could use a number 1 dominant centre since it's looking like neither of Mac/Duchene will be more than 1B's (Mac's looked more like a 2nd liner tbh).

Plus I don't think that Arizona trades anything that significant to move up a spot, Matthews isn't McDavid.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Now I'm worried they'll pass on gauthier. I guess it depends on who for. CGF, maybe better answer in the other thread but is Greer really considered a project still? He needs time but he's back on the right track.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
When I call a prospect a project, I just mean a kid who still needs a lot of time to put all of their talents together. In contrast to kids who's game is pretty much already ready but just need to be adapted to the higher levels while the kids grow into their bodies...a la Mikko/Landy. No comment on how good they are now or how I likely I think they are to make that project. That's why Zads is still a project in my book while Bigras is not; even though I'm pretty sure that everyone on here already knows how much I've loved watching him play these last two seasons as a pro and how good I expect him to be...as well as the fact that he's capable of playing in the NHL already.

So my calling AJG a project is just because I think he needs another year with RN to build on the way he's played since remembering that he wasn't always just a grinder...at least not before he got to boston. With another season (likely two) in the AHL, continuing to develop his full skillset. So that if/when he does make the jump to the NHL he can do so as the legitimately talented top 9 PWF he's been looking like (again) for the Huskies; and not just a bottom 6 big-body to fill Highlander/Biffkaka's shoes.

Gauthier's still gotta grow into his body and learn to play his best consistently, but he doesn't need to put his skills together on the ice to the same degree Greer still does...though if he picks up where he left off, he'll could move out of this category next year. Cause god damn does he looks awesome up there.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I just can't wait to see who we could have had with #53. Look forward to following that player's development path for a few years

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The Russian U18 team tested positive for PEDs, which would include Rubtsov

Damn, I had a feeling it would be something like that... Still might be worth throwing a second at him and give him a chance at redemption, but that sucks for us because that means fewer quality forwards in the first likely to be picked before we get a shot.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Are you guys sure it'll make him drop that much?

Of course I'd be more than thrilled to land him with a second round pick but I don't think teams in the 20s would let him drop that much because of a kid's mistake.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Are you guys sure it'll make him drop that much?

Of course I'd be more than thrilled to land him with a second round pick but I don't think teams in the 20s would let him drop that much because of a kid's mistake.

I actually don't think it'll drop him that much. I think most NHL teams will view it as a Russian system flaw more than anything, and they'll draft him assuming he is willing to come to NA and away from that system.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Rubstov's stock might have just been killed... wow...

Just reading up on the story, based on the very little I know, his stock shouldn't. I don't think any of the players are to blame tbh.

Considering it's not banned in the NHL yet, and just recently banned(from what I've read) this could be a genuine human error and not blatant attempt at cheating. Either way though it absolves him and his teammates. The mistake is on his trainers/doctors.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yea the fact that the entire team was using it would seem like the problem lies elsewhere. Not with Rubstov specifically. Might take a bit of a hit to his stock though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad