Prospect Info: The 2016 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Personally id trade down. But it really does depend who has the other picks.
ARZ and TOR would be chomping at the bit to trade up for Matthews.
And its not like we dont lack quality Centers..despite whats been going on here the last couple of weeks.

If we got the #1 over all, I'd be trading Duchene for another younger forward or defender. Then build around the younger group of MacK, Landeskog, Matthews, Rantanen. Maybe one of the two teams in 2nd and 3rd would want a established center over a winger.

We'd at least have two chances at top six two way centers then with Mikko & Mathews.

The thing is you can't be like Edmonton and just wait and be scared to actually move the pick or a current player. They missed out on Jones by not being willing to move quicker, by either trading for a top 3 draft pick or being willing to move someone else besides RNH or adding to him.

That is of course unless AZ is willing to trade OEL for the pick.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Who would we want from tor and arz?oel,Reilly, nylander, duclair.. It seems like we would just want laine basically. Duchene gets mikko , Mack gets laine..

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Who would we want from tor and arz?oel,Reilly, nylander, duclair.. It seems like we would just want laine basically. Duchene gets mikko , Mack gets laine..

If your a reasonable person then yeah this would be ideal.

I mean (and I realize this is a silly debate) you'd trade down and exchange the no. 1 for either the 2nd or 3rd and pick up another pick like in the 3rd or 4th rounds..maybe even 2nd depending on whose desperate..and I think only TOR fits that bill..or CLB.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well we can't really take him in the 4th...

...I figured we might get a 4th when we sell off Duchene, EJ, Barrie, Landy, Varly and Mackinnon for draft picks...

What's he like since I don't know a thing about him.

I only saw 6 or 7 games of his through the season, so I'm not the best person to ask, but he's showed top 6 skill & creativity, with good size...and his skating technique didn't seem to be a problem to me, though this is an aspect of the game I know the least about. *shrug* He moved around the ice smoothly enough, especially given the problems he had with his body; as he played the entire season with a bum-shoulder and out of shape.

He's a big question mark, but his talent-level & creativity had him getting top 10 hype before the season; and it's let him be the best player on his team despite his problems with his body. Plus he finished the year decently well, after a dreadful start. If he gets healthy and fit; with some further powerskating work; he could be one the biggest risers in his Draft+1 year.

My "realistic" dream draft for the Avs would be:
1st-Michael Mcleod
2nd-Frederic Allard
3rd-David Bernhardt
5th-Antoine Samuel
6th-Sebastian Repo
7th-Reid Gardiner

Are you a fan of McLeod's? I haven't seen him to judge for myself, but doesn't he have questions about his toolbox? From what I've read, it sounds like the effort & tools are there, but there just isn't enough creativity or hockey-sense.

Last edited:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Not if we actually moved one of our other core forwards for defense. They still have yet to make either move.

Yeah but I think part of the reason EDM has yet to make a move is because the market for high end fwds is the worst its ever been.
RNH, Eberle, and Dutchy arent going to return anything close to their worth.
I mean if you had a legit no. 1 and 2 D are you making that deal? I wouldnt.

Not to mention the team getting any of those fwds has to find room for 6 large.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah but I think part of the reason EDM has yet to make a move is because the market for high end fwds is the worst its ever been.
RNH, Eberle, and Dutchy arent going to return anything close to their worth.
I mean if you had a legit no. 1 and 2 D are you making that deal? I wouldnt.

Not to mention the team getting any of those fwds has to find room for 6 large.

They've had their chances, Murray & Jones IMO

Maybe Murray has not quite lived up yet due to injuries, but they'd be better off than with Yak obviously. It's not like that pick wasn't in question at the time of the draft either.

Question, would anyone trade Duchene for Trouba if we won the lottery for one of the top three spots? Not sure if Winnipeg would, but a #1 center is on their list, and they just resigned Buff.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If we get a top-3 pick I'd use it on Chychrun unless it's 1st overall in which case Matthews would be the obvious pick. But I would take d-man, just build the pipeline of defensemen with Chychrun, Zadorov, and Bigras.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
They've had their chances, Murray & Jones IMO

Maybe Murray has not quite lived up yet due to injuries, but they'd be better off than with Yak obviously. It's not like that pick wasn't in question at the time of the draft either.

Question, would anyone trade Duchene for Trouba if we won the lottery for one of the top three spots? Not sure if Winnipeg would, but a #1 center is on their list, and they just resigned Buff.

Trouba's contract demands worry me. I don't know if I'd make that deal straight up.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't like McLeod or Gauthier.

Gauthier didn't finish the yer very well, but he was unreal to start the year and looks like a nice PWF-goalscorer in the making.

If we get a top-3 pick I'd use it on Chychrun unless it's 1st overall in which case Matthews would be the obvious pick. But I would take d-man, just build the pipeline of defensemen with Chychrun, Zadorov, and Bigras.

But Laine...

I'd take Chychrun 3rd if the staff are sold on what's between his ears; but I could pass on Laine. A power-sniper like that would be an awesome fit for us.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Trouba's contract demands worry me. I don't know if I'd make that deal straight up.

Yeah it's a worry, but if there is something out there that has not been talked about that we could explore. That would be it IMO.

I will say this, players contract demands seem to be higher for Winnipeg every time one of their players come up lol.

You could easily make an argument for, If you want me to play in this **** hole. You better make it worth it.

You'd obviously know more about that side of the issue if a trade was being made anyways. It's similar to O'Reilly IMO. You should know full well what you're getting yourself into.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
But Laine...

I'd take Chychrun 3rd if the staff are sold on what's between his ears; but I could pass on Laine. A power-sniper like that would be an awesome fit for us.

What if we're not sold on what's between the ears of the staff?

Pyjamas goes #2, then Laine. The top 3 are a lock I would imagine.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Gauthier didn't finish the yer very well, but he was unreal to start the year and looks like a nice PWF-goalscorer in the making.

But Laine...

Laine is definitely enticing, and we are currently 19th in the league in GF and there's a chance after today we could finish as low as 23rd. So we could use a pure goal scorer like Laine. But I'm a sucker for stud-potential #1 defensemen.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

If we get a top 3 pick they have to take 1 of the 4 elite forwards(Matthews/Laine/Dubois/Puljujarvi). They're in a class above the rest.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
...I figured we might get a 4th when we sell off Duchene, EJ, Barrie, Landy, Varly and Mackinnon for draft picks...

I only saw 6 or 7 games of his through the season, so I'm not the best person to ask, but he's showed top 6 skill & creativity, with good size...and his skating technique didn't seem to be a problem to me, though this is an aspect of the game I know the least about. *shrug* He moved around the ice smoothly enough, especially given the problems he had with his body; as he played the entire season with a bum-shoulder and out of shape.

He's a big question mark, but his talent-level & creativity had him getting top 10 hype before the season; and it's let him be the best player on his team despite his problems with his body. Plus he finished the year decently well, after a dreadful start. If he gets healthy and fit; with some further powerskating work; he could be one the biggest risers in his Draft+1 year.

Are you a fan of McLeod's? I haven't seen him to judge for myself, but doesn't he have questions about his toolbox? From what I've read, it sounds like the effort & tools are there, but there just isn't enough creativity or hockey-sense.

I do like Mcleod and see him as a better skating Kesler(he's a Duchene level skater). He needs to work on his hands and shot accuracy but those are easily improved over time. He doesn't have elite IQ but he's not lacking either and is a very hard worker with good size. He should be an elite #2 center who can take on the tough defensive matchups. I'd prefer Matthews/Laine/Dubois/Puljujarvi/Nylander/Tkachuk for forwards over him but he'll most likely be the best option available at 10/11.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Trouba would be another player that would have to be protected in an expansion draft, I believe.

EJ, Barrie, Zadorov, Trouba, Beachemin.

But I guess if we trade Duchene for him, we'd not have many forwards worth protecting anyway.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't think you can pass on Matthews unless a team like the Coyotes comes calling and offers OEL. I definitely wouldn't trade down for some extra picks, even though I do love Laine.

Trouba would be another player that would have to be protected in an expansion draft, I believe.

EJ, Barrie, Zadorov, Trouba, Beachemin.

But I guess if we trade Duchene for him, we'd not have many forwards worth protecting anyway.

Just to be clear because I've seen Beauchemin listed by a few different people now, he's only on protected lists because he might have to be thanks to the NMC, correct?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't think you can pass on Matthews unless a team like the Coyotes comes calling and offers OEL. I definitely wouldn't trade down for some extra picks, even though I do love Laine.

Just to be clear because I've seen Beauchemin listed by a few different people now, he's only on protected lists because he might have to be thanks to the NMC, correct?

Yep, correct

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
We're officially going into the lottery sitting in 10th.

3.5% chance to get the 1st overall pick, 3.8% for 2nd, and 4.2% for 3rd.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think you can determine the exact odds for getting a top three pick since the odds for the following draws will increase proportionally and depend on which team won the draws before.

But lets make things simple and assume the team with the highest chance win each round. Then Avs should have the following chances:

1st overall pick: 3.5%
2nd overall pick: 4.38%
3rd overall pick: 5.26%

The odds of getting a top three pick are ~12.6% in this scenario. Not the greatest, but it could happen. Worst case scenario, that the 13th and 14th ranked team win the first two draws give Avs a ~9.9% chance to get a top three pick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad