Prospect Info: The 2016 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I wouldn't be shocked to see Avs first round pick, unless Avs win the lottery, be traded for Drouin straight up. I think a 10th-12th overall pick is fair value.

value isn't that far off but not sure i see the incentive for tampa to do that.

He fist pumped a little too hard on his GWG yesterday. I'd definitely give it a few years.

tampa won the game.

that was great example of leadership.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'll never root for the Avs to lose but we have a real possibility of getting the 10th overall again this year. The 9th OA is possible but a long shot.

8. BUFF - 79 pts with 2 games remaining (CBJ, NYI)
9. MTL - 80 pts. Can't pass us in the standings as we hold the ROW tiebreaker
10. NJ - 82 pts with 1 game remaining (TOR)
11. COL - 82 pts with 1 game remaining (ANA)
12. OTT - 83 pts with 1 game remaining (BOS)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Thanks, I think we have tiebreaker over everyone don't we?

I'm glad we got 12th at least but I think they need to go out with a little dignity and win. But will be interesting to see where it shakes out.

Last edited:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Yeah I believe we have the tiebreaker on everyone. Gotta slip under them in pts.

ROW:
BUFF - 32
NJ - 35
COL - 35
OTT - 31

Wins is the second tie breaker correct?

Wins:
NJ - 37
COL - 39

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Tampa should just keep Drouin, forget it. Last thing we should do is be packaging assets. We need more not less.

at this point if they are just going to flounder in our development system I'm not so sure letting others do the development for us isn't the best plan

?:sarcasm:?

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'm not near as up on prospects this year as I was last year, aside from the Big 3 - who do we have a legit shot at taking in our range (10-12) this year and who are the better options? I'd like to see us take a power forward if one is there.

Valar Morghulis

Jun 10, 2011
Ottawa
Also, can someone fill me in on this doping thing? Ive heard the story, I'm not asking about that. I just mean more what is the drug, what does it do, how does it enhance performance.

Meldonium is a drug used in russia that isn't approved by the rest of Europe or the FDA. It was banned in January by IIHF but isn't yet banned by the NHL.

It's medical use is to treat ischemia, a lack of blood flow to certain areas of the heart which will cause angina or myocardial infarction.

Russian atheletes like to use it because the drug enhances blood flow. This would then send more oxygen to muscles and improve endurance and muscle performance.

I've read that some of the members of that U18 team have been taking it since they were 14!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Screams Shawn Belle to me.

Day screams a lot of things... good and bad. He probably has the best pure toolset out of all the defensemen in the draft. A player his size and weight just shouldn't skate as well as he does. He is showing signs of growth in his decision making (really what is holding him back) and settling into a role he is a fit for (he has quit trying to be an all around defender and has settled into playing defense and moving the puck). Day is the ultimate risk/reward pick in this years' draft. If he puts it all together... you have a shot at getting the top defensemen in the draft... he may also top out as a good AHL defender.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I remember the last time the Avalanche took a guy in the 2nd round he was a former #1 overall OHL pick who's stock fell over his OHL career. He goes by the name of Snook.

I like Day. I understand how much issues in your personal life can affect you and I understand how much you mature and better yourself from that as you reach your 20's. I'd take Day with out second round pick in a heartbeat.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Meldonium is a drug used in russia that isn't approved by the rest of Europe or the FDA. It was banned in January by IIHF but isn't yet banned by the NHL.

It is approved in EU.

It's medical use is to treat ischemia, a lack of blood flow to certain areas of the heart which will cause angina or myocardial infarction.

Not exactly, here's the official list:

Improves Oxygen Delivery to Cells
Excellent for Sportsmen to Improve Stamina
Protects Cells from Intoxication
Improves Energy Levels and Faster Physical Recovery
Treat Chronic Heart Failure and Cerebral Strokes
Abstinence Syndrome

Russian atheletes like to use it because the drug enhances blood flow. This would then send more oxygen to muscles and improve endurance and muscle performance.

Russian athletes used it more as a cardioprotection drug. I have taken it, and it didn't affect my endurance and muscle performance at all.

I've read that some of the members of that U18 team have been taking it since they were 14!

Possibly, it is an extremely widespread medication, since it is cheap (something like 3$) and it has basically no side effects.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah I believe we have the tiebreaker on everyone. Gotta slip under them in pts.

ROW:
BUFF - 32
NJ - 35
COL - 35
OTT - 31

Wins is the second tie breaker correct?

Wins:
NJ - 37
COL - 39

ROW's is the first tie breaker then points in the season series. They're tied with NJ in ROW'S and beat the Devils twice this year.

So the Devils need a ROW to the Avs SO win or one more point in their last game than the Avs pick up, to pass them in the standings and give the Avs a better pick.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I remember the last time the Avalanche took a guy in the 2nd round he was a former #1 overall OHL pick who's stock fell over his OHL career. He goes by the name of Snook.

I like Day. I understand how much issues in your personal life can affect you and I understand how much you mature and better yourself from that as you reach your 20's. I'd take Day with out second round pick in a heartbeat.

There was also the time were we took a guy in the 2nd who had been a top pick in the OHL draft but saw his stock fall before becoming known simply as ROR. *shrug*

I have no feelings about Day, there's guys I feel good about with less potential; whom I'd rather take; but if they're off the board by the time our 2nd pick comes up, then I'm not inherently against rolling the dice on Day. Just like I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on Sokolov in the 3rd or 4th, although by then there won't be many prospects left that will inspire much confidence in; so rolling the dice with our pick will be even easier to stomach.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Andrew Peeke is who I'd rather take my chance on in the 2nd if I was choosing a defensemen.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
There was also the time were we took a guy in the 2nd who had been a top pick in the OHL draft but saw his stock fall before becoming known simply as ROR. *shrug*

I have no feelings about Day, there's guys I feel good about with less potential; whom I'd rather take; but if they're off the board by the time our 2nd pick comes up, then I'm not inherently against rolling the dice on Day. Just like I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on Sokolov in the 3rd or 4th, although by then there won't be many prospects left that will inspire much confidence in; so rolling the dice with our pick will be even easier to stomach.

Snook Oreilly?

I believe you guys were referring to the same person. :laugh:

Valar Morghulis

Jun 10, 2011
Ottawa
It is approved in EU.

I meant Western Europe.

Not exactly, here's the official list:

Improves Oxygen Delivery to Cells
Excellent for Sportsmen to Improve Stamina
Protects Cells from Intoxication
Improves Energy Levels and Faster Physical Recovery
Treat Chronic Heart Failure and Cerebral Strokes
Abstinence Syndrome

Russian athletes used it more as a cardioprotection drug. I have taken it, and it didn't affect my endurance and muscle performance at all.

Improving blood flow will do all of those, but the bold tells you exactly why it was banned for use in sports.

Sorry but I don't buy that their intent was for cardio protection. You don't put a healthy person on cardiac medication for precautionary reasons. Let alone, teenagers.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I meant Western Europe.

EU includes Western Europe actually.

Improving blood flow will do all of those, but the bold tells you exactly why it was banned for use in sports.

Sorry but I don't buy that their intent was for cardio protection. You don't put a healthy person on cardiac medication for precautionary reasons. Let alone, teenagers.

It is a very mild medication (you don't need any prescription from doctor to buy it) with almost no side effects, very cheap and it was legal for something like 30 years - sounds good enough to me for a prophylactics.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It isn't legal in the US, and many legal substances are banned by various commissions because they can be used as PEDs or for masking PEDs. Just because something has been used in the past doesn't mean that it is legal. The problem with the U18 team is that it is shown to be systemic, and combining that with the Russian track doping scandal (and others)... there is going to be lots of judgement placed.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd take Day in the 2nd round. I believe that in every draft you have to take at least one "risk". Take a shot in one round on a player who is a home run potential pick, and that's exactly what Day is. He may never amount to anything more than an AHL defensemen, but there's also the chance that he puts it all together and becomes a legitimate top-pairing defensemen in the NHL.

So many of the great defensemen in this league were not 1st round picks. Shea Weber, Duncan Keith, P.K. Subban, Kris Letang, Dustin Byfuglien, John Klingberg, Mark Giordano, T.J. Brodie, Andrei Markov, Tyson Barrie, Justin Faulk, Sami Vatanen, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, the list goes on and on.

If he's there in the 2nd round, take a shot.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
It isn't legal in the US, and many legal substances are banned by various commissions because they can be used as PEDs or for masking PEDs. Just because something has been used in the past doesn't mean that it is legal. The problem with the U18 team is that it is shown to be systemic, and combining that with the Russian track doping scandal (and others)... there is going to be lots of judgement placed.

I mean, meldonium was not prohibited, known and used from the Soviet times and only now, suddenly, it was made illegal. I'm actually fine with that, but to say that only now it started to give some performance advantage is pretty strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad