OT: The 2014-2015 Boston Celtics/NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Looks like we have the chance to take Young sounds like the big Bosnian is #16.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 14s
The Boston Celtics will select James Young with the 17th pick in the NBA Draft, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think Young will be better than Smart. It might take a few years, but the guy can score.

Both are nice big guys who can score. Young is longer and with more range. 2 pure scorers who will play good D too. Stevens has his parts we probably just need a defensive center and thats it. I'd just sign Gortat and roll with the current team intact. Maybe Gasol.

AB hit 40% from 3 last year, KO and Young can go deep. There's enough shooting. Keep Rondo and get a good center.

Young and Smart is a ton of firepower to bring in from one draft. And we didn't need bigs.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Smart, Sully, and Olynk is a great young core for this team to build around. I love it.

I'm not as sold with the Young pick as some others are, but I hope I'm wrong and the kid ends up being a solid player.

I would have died in ecstasy if they had picked up that Sacramento pick and got Nic Staukis. He and Smart were the guys I most wanted to see wear green after today.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Ric Bucher ‏@RicBucher 4m
Source: Toronto looking to S&T Kyle Lowry to Miami for cash and future picks. Part II: Bosh opts out, returns to Toronto.

didnt expect that from bostrich

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Interesting night.

Celtics draft two guards - two good players, IMO. What does that say about Rondo? Bradley?

I know they promised "fireworks" this summer, but I thought it was interesting that Ainge was quoted as saying, "you can't force fireworks" tonight.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Interesting night.

Celtics draft two guards - two good players, IMO. What does that say about Rondo? Bradley?

I know they promised "fireworks" this summer, but I thought it was interesting that Ainge was quoted as saying, "you can't force fireworks" tonight.

I think Bradley stays. I think it's a strong bet that Rondo will get shipped out. We'll see how things pan out... but I like the look of this young core right now.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I think Bradley stays. I think it's a strong bet that Rondo will get shipped out. We'll see how things pan out... but I like the look of this young core right now.

I think it may be the other way around especially because of Bradley's health issues but I doubt anyone moves until they see what Smart and Young can do.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Nothing against the guys they drafted, but this was a colossal disappointment. After weeks and weeks of hearing them involved in trade rumors to bring in legitimate NBA players instead of picks, they basically go out with a whimper and look to be doing a rebuild via the draft. That strategy doesn't typically work anyways, and when it does, it takes years and years. Not a fan of what they're doing, and of them sucking for years before they start to turn it around. Already been there in the 90's through the 2000's, and I have zero desire to see it again.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Nothing against the guys they drafted, but this was a colossal disappointment. After weeks and weeks of hearing them involved in trade rumors to bring in legitimate NBA players instead of picks, they basically go out with a whimper and look to be doing a rebuild via the draft. That strategy doesn't typically work anyways, and when it does, it takes years and years. Not a fan of what they're doing, and of them sucking for years before they start to turn it around. Already been there in the 90's through the 2000's, and I have zero desire to see it again.

A ****ing men.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

The word that has filtered out was they wanted Gordon and didn't see this coming. The second kid Young they liked and targeted, Smart is best served as a PG so Rondo is gone. You are Rondo you've gone from looking at Love coming here to see a guy who's strength is your position. Wonder if Randle skipping out on his workout a few days ago messed that up. I think it did. They got 2 good prospects but this was not what they really wanted. They loved Gordon

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The word that has filtered out was they wanted Gordon and didn't see this coming. The second kid Young they liked and targeted, Smart is best served as a PG so Rondo is gone. You are Rondo you've gone from looking at Love coming here to see a guy who's strength is your position. Wonder if Randle skipping out on his workout a few days ago messed that up. I think it did. They got 2 good prospects but this was not what they really wanted. They loved Gordon

Okay, they liked Gordon, but even if they got him Dan, what does that do for the present? They'd still be rebuilding via the draft, and have to wait for these guys to become NBA players. Whether it's Smart, Gordon, Parker, Embiid, or anyone else in this draft, they'd still be a lottery team next year and for the foreseeable future. Now as you pointed out, the guy they took 6th is redundant to Rondo's skill set, so he's clearly not in their plans, which makes them even worse in the short term. But hey, we still have Jeff Green! The net net is that as a fan who watched this team "rebuild" from 93 to 2007, I just can't go along for that ride again.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Okay, they liked Gordon, but even if they got him Dan, what does that do for the present? They'd still be rebuilding via the draft, and have to wait for these guys to become NBA players. Whether it's Smart, Gordon, Parker, Embiid, or anyone else in this draft, they'd still be a lottery team next year and for the foreseeable future. Now as you pointed out, the guy they took 6th is redundant to Rondo's skill set, so he's clearly not in their plans, which makes them even worse in the short term. But hey, we still have Jeff Green! The net net is that as a fan who watched this team "rebuild" from 93 to 2007, I just can't go along for that ride again.

Lonnie, the Bruins probably have 3 more strong years before they become Ottawa, when that happens these Celtics kids will be ready to be good and become the number one winter team in the city. Enjoy the Bruins for a few years then go Green!

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006

Could be worse, you could be a fan of one of the 22 NBA teams that hasn't won a championship in the last 30 years, or one of the 7 that have never even made a finals. Worst competitive balance in professional sports by far.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston

The reason that rebuild was so long was because we never stockpiled picks. And even worse, we traded some of them away (Billups and Joe Johnson). The only reason the rebuild ended was because we got lucky. We didn't rebuild the right way.

And right now, we should be trading Rondo and Green (although I understand if nobody wants him) and even Sully and Bradley for more picks. Rondo is a complete waste of an asset if he stays any longer. We have to turn him into draft picks and do things the right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad