OT: The 2014-2015 Boston Celtics/NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
I don't actually want to keep Rondo, nor do I believe the Celts want to as well. I also wasn't a fan of the amount it seemingly would take to get an unsigned Love. I think I'm frustrated because all off season we've heard how they were going to make some major moves and right the ship. Shake things up, big things are going to happen. We're going to have an off season of major impact. We're going to see fireworks. You know, all that nonsense Grousbec spouted in the papers and on the radio. Then a couple of days leading up to the draft you hear these whispers about maybe having to do a rebuild via the draft over multiple years, and then last night you see an underwhelming night of nothing. They made two picks. And they still have a million more picks in the next few years. How is it truly possible that you weren't able to leverage that slew of picks into actual NBA talent today? To me, last night feels like a failure. Not a slight on the guys they drafted, just that everything the organization said and did leading up to it contradicted their actions last night. If you're going to commit to a rebuild where the draft is your only option, don't sell your fanbase on empty promises. Just come out and say no free agents want to come here because it's a cold weather city, and nobody is interested in moving their players for futures unless you have a slotted pick that will return an impact player/future all star type.

I'm half with you then. Also definitely frustrated after last night. I was just never really excited about guys like Love because I don't think adding Kevin Love would actually make us a title contender and it would only delay the rebuild (and waste our assets). But we should have done more last night.

Dude there are only 10-20 legit NBA starters or 6th men in each draft. We got 2 of them.

Of the good players half are projects nowhere close right now. Of the 8-9 guys who will make impacts in the league we got maybe the only 2 perimeter players who are ready right now.

So remember this is a legendary 1st round. Of best wings and guards lets look at the others: Parker and Wiggens are 1-2. Exum hasn't played real ball. Lavine went 10 and was miles away from being a big time player at UCLA he sort of sucked. Stauskus has to get way stronger the step up in competition might be too much for him. Elfrid Peyton is too skinny and came out of nowhere with little pedigree. TJ Warren didn't win too much at NC St. And Tyler Ennis went right after we got Young and was our other choice if you want to dump Rondo. Hes not what we need though and Im a big Syracuse fan.

Those are the top guys who aren't bigs along with Mahcus Smaht and James Young.

Smart, Young, Parker, Wiggins, Exum, Lavine, Stauskus, Peyton, Warren, Ennis.

There is your 10 best guards and wings. Exum, Lavine, Peyton, and Ennis would have little chance of making an impact right away on our team. An Aussie unknown, UCLA's worst player, and 2 point guards with size issues. Parker and Wiggens went 1 and 2 and aren't perfect. We could have got Stauskus but Warren was gone at 17.

I don;t know if you follow college basketball but the 2 of the top 10 guys we got are the 2 who are the best scorers RIGHT NOW in this draft class and also probably have the highest ceilieng in terms of all star games outside Jabari. I don't think Wiggens gets there I think hes close his entire career but not a star. Smart is better offensively at attacking the rim right now than Wiggens. Young is a tall guy who can get his shot off and can take it to the rim.

Really nice to come away with 2 scorers. Smart is probably a better player right noww than a 33 year old injured Dwayne Wade.

Fact is we don't actually know whether or not we got 2 good players last night or zero (or one). So many high potential draft picks turn into nothing. Which is why I want more picks - more chances for legit pieces.

if they are building through the draft then they should have traded rondo last night for a high pick. no point in keeping him and having him walk as a FA.

Exactly. Love the guy, but he's serving no use here right now on this team.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I liked both picks last night; I think we got two potentially good to very good players. And I agree with others, if we are going all in with youth, no point in keeping Rondo.

I think if you can get someone to overpay a little for Rondo (i'm thinking a young big and picks); then you take it and run. Guy is going to be 29 next year and want a top end contract; and I know i'm in the minority, but I think there are several point guards out there that are at least as good as him. In fact, I have a hard time finding a match for him when looking at other team's rosters.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
if they are building through the draft then they should have traded rondo last night for a high pick. no point in keeping him and having him walk as a FA.

Whose to say that those deals were actually on the table? We don't know that...

Or maybe Ainge waits for the Love-decision and makes the call based on that one?
to be honest, I'd rather keep Smart and get rid of Rondo. Maybe in a package to Houston for Harden, Lin and Capela.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Whose to say that those deals were actually on the table? We don't know that...

Or maybe Ainge waits for the Love-decision and makes the call based on that one?
to be honest, I'd rather keep Smart and get rid of Rondo. Maybe in a package to Houston for Harden, Lin and Capela.

I think the first part of your statement is correct. I suspect the Celtics didn't trade Rondo last night, because they didn't get the "offers" that were reported.

there is no way Houston is giving Harden up in a package for Rondo. Remove Harden from the deal, and that may be closer to where Rondo's value is at the moment, a late pick and a cap equalizer

Right now Rondo is a bit of a square peg with limited potential landing spots. He is not young anymore, is a free agent at the end of the year

It would seem like his value would be to a good team that with an upgrade at PG might be a championship contender, but at the same time it doesn't make sense for those teams to deal really good players, so you are left with cap fillers and future later picks

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Rondo's gone, I hope they get Love

If Rondo is gone they are not getting Love.

Love is not going to come to Boston to play with a team that might have less talent around him than Minny does today, with the hope that some future draft picks will turn it around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad