Post-Game Talk: That one is for you Kobe. Leafs win

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't know maybe. I have seen him have flashes with Marlies too but he could never sustain it. Maybe he is just coming into his own now. I can't remember him having a bad game with leafs yet. and last night well might have been his best. Got to give someone a huge KUDOS for bringing him here. and now Keefe for giving him his shot at centre. With Mik and Engval we really picked up 2 players. and if Sandin can replicate his game from last night maybe we are in better shape than I thought on defense. Hard to say though because the Preds did not play a physical game against us and they are a slow team to begin with. Dallas will be a better test.

Mikheyev and Engvall could make Johnsson and Kapanen expendable, at almost half their cap hits.

Would be thrilled is Korshkov could put it together.

Engvall - 6',5", 215
Korshkov - 6'4", 214
Mikheyev - 6'3", 195

Be a nice 3rd. line.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I find it crazy how so many people around get so carried away when we lose a few games and everything becomes doom and gloom. It was clear imo how much this team was missing Muzzin's stabilizing presence on the backend. Our struggles directly coincided with his injury. Losing Rielly just compounded it.

None of this is to say we don't have areas of concern. Where we need to improve or possibly even seek out help.

Predators weren't good, so maybe we are a little too impressed with how the Leafs played last night?

However, when Rielly is back, I'm not sure what the Leafs do with Dermott?

Unless Sandin crashes back to earth, he ain't getting taken out of the line-up.
The one play, and they highlighted it, when he picked up the puck behind his net start around the net, under pressure and calmly hit the stick of a mate in the slot for the exit was so ... cigarette.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Mikheyev and Engvall could make Johnsson and Kapanen expendable, at almost half their cap hits.

Engvall - 6',5", 215
Korshkov - 6'4", 214
Mikheyev - 6'3", 195

Be a nice 3rd. line.
Yes 3 big boys ... like it. I would still like a couple big nasty fast defenders with us for stretch and playoffs, Defenders get hurt. It is part of job. Barrie and AJ and Kappy are nice pieces to get back picks, defenders and a backup.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Engvall - 6',5", 215
Korshkov - 6'4", 214
Mikheyev - 6'3", 195

Be a nice 3rd. line.

Korshkov has been injured a bit so hard to know what he brings but saw this:

Egor Korshkov (27GP, 9g-7a-16pts)
A leg laceration has led to the Russian forward missing a chunk of time. He remains out with that injury after a comeback proved short-lived. He’s not the player I thought he was, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Korshkov hasn’t driven hard to the net often and appears to lack high-end skating ability. However, he does protect the puck really well in battles along the boards, is a better passer than you might imagine, and he is adept as net presence. He’s scored on both special teams as well as at even strength despite not owning the best shot, but we are left wondering just what his upside really is due to a lack of playing time.
Toronto Marlies 2019-20 Midseason Review and Player Grades | Maple Leafs Hotstove

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Poile seems to have run the Preds into the toilet.

Years and years of mortgaging the future and an aging #1 goaltender without much of a replacement. They've had a ton of consistency as a top team but without a cup to show for it, similar to the Sharks.

I'm surprised they were able to stay as good for that long. Their drafting has been super good despite not having many top end picks.

They still have a lot of good assets to rebound soon.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
No, as I have been vocal in the same way. But when openly ripping the guy to shreds when he has a bad game especially considering he’s bailed us out so many times when we win, yeah that makes one a hater.
It really doesn't. When Freddy plays well, he deserves praise. When he doesn't, he deserves criticism.
Also it's not one bad game. He has been awful for a month

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Predators weren't good, so maybe we are a little too impressed with how the Leafs played last night?

However, when Rielly is back, I'm not sure what the Leafs do with Dermott?

Unless Sandin crashes back to earth, he ain't getting taken out of the line-up.
The one play, and they highlighted it, when he picked up the puck behind his net start around the net, under pressure and calmly hit the stick of a mate in the slot for the exit was so ... cigarette.

The preds weren't good, but I'm one who subscribes to the idea, that a lot of the time when a team doesn't play to their ability it has a lot to do with what the other team dictated to them, gave them. We controlled that game and badly outplayed them in terms of high danger scoring opportunities.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
It really doesn't. When Freddy plays well, he deserves praise. When he doesn't, he deserves criticism.
Also it's not one bad game. He has been awful for a month

You could make the same argument for a team who’s first in offense but near the bottom in goals against aka defense, Freddy would be much better than he already is if he had some actual defensemen in front of him as opposed to offensive minded ballerinas.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Muzzin's stabilizing presence on the blue line was very noticeable last night. It's great to have him back.
He is one of those vet guys who makes his partner better too. Holl looked much better last night although I did not like that pinch myself - too risky for me.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Muzzin's stabilizing presence on the blue line was very noticeable last night. It's great to have him back.

Indeed! That was almost as nice as having the old Freddie back, he's still the key to how far we'll go this season.

Thanks for playing well and winning this one guys, we really needed this one badly. Now play your best game of the year against Dallas and show the world you mean business!

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Muzzin is back and we are much better for it. Sign this man. Sign him now.

Sandin is the real deal, oh my goodness he is good. It seemed like he was getting chances every shift he touched the ice. Brilliant composure in the offensive zone and two points on two very smart plays.

Freddy wasn't sharp, but he played well. They don't ask how, they ask how many and he made a lot of good stops last night. Room to improve, but that's a game in the right direction.

Engvall is amazing. I thought Goat had one of his best games. I really am not a fan of Spezza at all, but he's been playing quite well as of late too.

Sucked that we had to turtle at the end, but that's going to happen to every team at the end of games when the other team pushes hard. It'll happen plenty down the stretch and plenty in the playoffs if we're winning. Bend but don't break, good finish by the boys IMO. Shout out to Matthews for being a guy who will defend leads under Keefe. Very impressed with his defensive play as of late.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Muzzin is back and we are much better for it. Sign this man. Sign him now.

Sandin is the real deal, oh my goodness he is good. It seemed like he was getting chances every shift he touched the ice. Brilliant composure in the offensive zone and two points on two very smart plays.

Freddy wasn't sharp, but he played well. They don't ask how, they ask how many and he made a lot of good stops last night. Room to improve, but that's a game in the right direction.

Engvall is amazing. I thought Goat had one of his best games. I really am not a fan of Spezza at all, but he's been playing quite well as of late too.

Sucked that we had to turtle at the end, but that's going to happen to every team at the end of games when the other team pushes hard. It'll happen plenty down the stretch and plenty in the playoffs if we're winning. Bend but don't break, good finish by the boys IMO. Shout out to Matthews for being a guy who will defend leads under Keefe. Very impressed with his defensive play as of late.

I liked the timeout by Keefe after the second goal. He did not wait till it was possibly too late. I think that let the guys re-focus a bit and helped us win in the end.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I liked the timeout by Keefe after the second goal. He did not wait till it was possibly too late. I think that let the guys re-focus a bit and helped us win in the end.

It's so strange having a coach call timeouts. While I'm clearly taking a shot at Babcock here, none of the Leafs coaches that I can remember (I go back to Quinn) have ever called timeouts like this. How many coaches in the league would call that timeout? Great stuff from Keefe to settle the guys down. The Preds got a couple of looks in the final few minutes, but I think the team handled the pressure as well as anyone ever does. Great coaching and great play.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Not intending to imply it's all to do with Muzzin or anything like that, but fun fact:

Since Sheldon Keefe took over:
with Muzzin - 2.76GA/g in 17 games
without Muzzin - 3.7GA/g in 10 games

Hes the best defender at defending by a large margin. I'm not surprised, he does a lot of heavy lifting for the team

Reactions: Sypher04

srnd9399

Apr 10, 2018
NB, Canada
Anyone catch that bit during intermission last night where Poulin was trying to insert Sandin's name into trade speculation and McKenzie just shut him down. Saying that Sandin, Liljegren and Robertson are "untouchable".

Pretty funny bit.
lol if it was the JFJ era Sandin would already be shipped out along with a high pick for Subban. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad