Post-Game Talk: That one is for you Kobe. Leafs win

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Barrie put up 15 primary points this season while being the most sheltered Dman on the team.

That's abysmal for a guy who is swiss cheese in the dzone

Since Keefe got hired:

- Barrie has 21 points in the 27 games under Keefe. 10 of those are primary points. Rielly has 10 points in total in 23 games under Keefe (powerplay helps).
- Tied for 6th in the league in points among D in that period of time. Only Carlson, Josi, Hedman, DeAngelo, Suter have more. Carlson has only 6 more points.
- Krug, Makar, Hedman, Jones, Werenski, DeAngelo, Yandle, Hughes, etc all get more offensive zone starts than Barrie (since Keefe got hired) . Hedman is even in that group! Why are we angry that our main offensive D-man is getting quality offensive zone time like all offensive D-men do across the league?

So that's because you're looking at his Babcock numbers, where Babcock said he was trying to "reinvent" Barrie (whatever that means). Rememeber Barrie didn't even have a goal for the first 20ish games until Babcoxk was fired.

Last edited:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Engvall looks like he can play any position you assign him.

Dude looked like a Norris Calibre defenseman in one sequence where he had to back peddle to cover for a defenseman.

The man can do it all

What a pick......... MAN what a nice pick he is lol

Reactions: Schooner

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Overall good game, but what’s Tavares’ excuse for continuing to be garbage? Can’t pass anymore, puck dies on his stick, slow as molasses. Everyone told me the break would do him wonders. His play would be unacceptable for an 8 mill player, never mind 11 mill.

Could be nursing an injury?

But he looked WAY better last season. Not just because of his chemistry with Mitch, but his speed, hands, and drive all looked stronger. He didn't just fall out of his prime in 12 months lol

Reactions: Dangles McGavin

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
not to mention he was a puck hound all night. Nylander has been fantastic since Babcock was fired. Some of our fans unfortunately suffer from Babcockitis - unable to change their opinion
Babcockitis is more accurately defined as an inability to get over the fact that Babcock has been removed as coach and consequently some fans should just get over it and quit with the pathetic trashing and the classless back-biting comments.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Freddie was good but man did he have a hard time finding pucks. He looks lost alot of the game. Hopefully that's just because it's been a 10+ day layoff.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Some random thoughts:

1. Obviously I like Engvall, but I don’t understand what he is or what his ceiling / likely future is.

2. JT has not looked great a few games I’ve watched now. Feels like something is going on with him, but no idea what.

3. I continue to eat crow about Nylander (who I wanted to sit a season and get embarrassed before being traded) and am glad of it.

4. I more or less like Holl, but does he take the worst penalties on the team or is it me?

5. Is Johnsson the biggest loser of the Keefe coaching change?

6. I feel like Barrie is a coin flip whether he is going to do something amazing this playoffs or torpedo our post season with literally the biggest bonehead moves in playoff history. Could go either way.

7. RIP Kobe and everyone else on that heli. Man that’s some awful stuff.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
What are the chances we can get Naz back on that steal of a contract that has a couple more years on it?

Oh right, zero.

****ing hated that trade instantly especially since Kadri was my fav, but figured what do I know?

Barrie is just not very good IMO, at least not on this team. Kadri on the 3rd line was such a luxury at his cap hit. He might have cleaned his act up a bit under Keefe but we'll never know.
I agree with you. Bad trade and the Avs knew he was done, I would have loved to have seen Taveras Kadri and Nylander together,

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Love this. Just wish Lily could put it together as well. Be amazing. Next year maybe something like:
Reilly - RHD Upgrade
Muzzin - Lily
Sandin - Holl

FB-IMG-1580185089101.jpg

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Solid game. A bit unfortunate that we let them get that last goal and after that it was a bit too much turtle-time, but otherwise good.

Andersen continues to struggle though. A lot of the saves seemed much harder than they should have been; so many shots that was turned from routine saves to adventures. Pucks were bouncing off him in every direction, and that rebound on the second goal was pretty brutal.

At the end of the night though, he "only" let in two and got a win. Hopefully a few nights where he can feel good can help him find his game. If he doesn't, we're probably done.

Palio

Dec 9, 2015
Babcockitis is more accurately defined as an inability to get over the fact that Babcock has been removed as coach and consequently some fans should just get over it and quit with the pathetic trashing and the classless back-biting comments.

I’ll get over it once the Leafs successfully make the playoffs and I see that the poor start under him didn’t cost us the season, but thanks!

Spargon

May 31, 2019
One big thing I love with Keefe is the lack of bad line changes. With Babcock we had 3-5 horrific line changes giving up odd man rushes each game, and we got so many too many men penalties. All of that is almost non-existent under Keefe.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017
Everyone JT plays with has a career season. It happened with those two jokers in NYI, it happened here last year with Mitch and Zach, and it's happening again with Nylander. The man is just quietly effective.
Pretty impressive how the guy is quietly playing at his career average and people think he is awful this year. I think we as leaf fans were spoiled with last year and have outrageous expectations.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Since Keefe got hired:

- Barrie has 21 points in the 27 games under Keefe. 10 of those are primary points. Rielly has 10 points in total in 23 games under Keefe (powerplay helps).
- Tied for 6th in the league in points among D in that period of time. Only Carlson, Josi, Hedman, DeAngelo, Suter have more. Carlson has only 6 more points.
- Krug, Makar, Hedman, Jones, Werenski, DeAngelo, Yandle, Hughes, etc all get more offensive zone starts than Barrie (since Keefe got hired) . Hedman is even in that group! Why are we angry that our main offensive D-man is getting quality offensive zone time like all offensive D-men do across the league?

So that's because you're looking at his Babcock numbers, where Babcock said he was trying to "reinvent" Barrie (whatever that means). Rememeber Barrie didn't even have a goal for the first 20ish games until Babcoxk was fired.

Picking up secondary assists when starting exclusively in the ozone when Matthew's, marner, tavarez and Nylander are on the ice.

What an offensive dynamo. Literally anyone can do that.

15 primary points in 50 games. This guy f***ing sucks

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Was he good because if his play it was Ceci good because of Sandin?

Ceci has actually been pretty good for most of the season... most dmen he plays with actually do better with him than paired with someone else...

Both Sandin and Ceci played well last night. Their games complimented each other well.

When do we ever hear of other NHL D-men being heavily critisized other than Toronto D or big personalities like Subban?

Heck, how many boneheaded Gardiner plays have you seen this year in the media now that he's not here. We never heard of Barrie being a "garbage" D-man (according to some fans here) before he came to Toronto either lol. He was praised highly by fans before he left Colorado as an offensive D-man. He comes to Toronto and ALL weaknesses are exposed by media and fans.

Heck, there's debates among Boston fsns about Krug being a defensive liability or not, but we NEVER hear about it lol. We just assume Krug doesn't have these issues.
Player Discussion - Torey Krug IV

Barrie used to win in HF polls against guys like Krug, Dumba, Brodie, etc. (I posted the links a few weeks ago in the Barrie thread). But now, I doubt any Leaf fan (including myself) would say he should win thlse polls.

This whole comparison to Gardiner thing has got to go away.... Gardiner was much much better defensively, and was better at the outbreak pass as well... Their games are different, the only thing similar are that they’re both offensive dmen...

Nobody is complaining about Barrie for having the odd defensive blunder... hockey is a game of mistakes... however we are 50 games in now and it is clear that Barrie is completely incompetent when it comes to anything defence.

Reactions: Duffman955

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
This whole comparison to Gardiner thing has got to go away.... Gardiner was much much better defensively, and was better at the outbreak pass as well... Their games are different, the only thing similar are that they’re both offensive dmen...

Nobody is complaining about Barrie for having the odd defensive blunder... hockey is a game of mistakes... however we are 50 games in now and it is clear that Barrie is completely incompetent when it comes to anything defence.

The same thing was said for Gardiner (I disagreed, as Gardiner's fan).
The same thing was said for Krug.
The same thing was said for Rielly.
The same thing was said for Karlsson.
The list goes on.

Barrie's below average defensively, but to say he's completely incompetent is very silly.

Don't you remember how 95% of Leafs fans last year thought Gardiner was the worst by far defensive player in the league?

Reactions: stopclickbait

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Picking up secondary assists when starting exclusively in the ozone when Matthew's, marner, tavarez and Nylander are on the ice.

What an offensive dynamo. Literally anyone can do that.

15 primary points in 50 games. This guy ****ing sucks

You're right. We saw a prime example of that with Rielly last year. Where were you last year? :sarcasm:

Reactions: stopclickbait

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
The same thing was said for Gardiner (I disagreed, as Gardiner's fan).
The same thing was said for Krug.
The same thing was said for Rielly.
The same thing was said for Karlsson.
The list goes on.

Barrie's below average defensively, but to say he's completely incompetent is very silly.

Don't you remember how 95% of Leafs fans last year thought Gardiner was the worst by far defensive player in the league?

The people complaining about Gardiner are not the same ones complaining about Barrie. I loved Gardiner. He was actually competent defensively. Completely different players.

Barrie is worse than below average. In fact, I don’t think I can name 5 dman worse defensively than Barrie... that is how bad he is defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad