Post-Game Talk (GBU): That one hurts

Endless Ike

Jul 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
Outside of that 10 game streak, this is exactly the same team as last year.

The final game of that streak they were +20 points ahead of last season. Since it ended, they have bounced between +18 and +23. When you look at their points over their last 10 games, they are again identical to last year except for that streak.

“Except for how they played for 1/8th of the season they are the same” is not a super compelling take. How do they compare if you throw out this year’s worst 10 game stretch?

How do they compare if you also throw out last seasons’ best 10 game stretch to be fair?

Reactions: Snippit

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Wrong...Jack was a different player from the start of the year. He has only been sucking since returning from injury.
He absolutely was not a different player to start the season. There were countless posts about his play, his shoulders down sulky line changes, his forced plays. He really turned it on around game 10. He hasn't looked good since his injury, but a bum shoulder/wrist/back doesn't cause you to make the stupid forced plays he's started doing again. And we're now 3 years in a row using an injury as an excuse as to why he's good but not elite. Bergeron doesn't seem to miss a beat when he gets injured, Petterssen has looked fine... elite players find a way.

buffalojedwardo

Jan 3, 2019
Santa Rosa Beach
I wish we still had O'Reilley. Even one of them would help this team a lot. I don't think anyone thought this team would be competitive even with Skinner. I just wish we could make some sort of positive move...
Hope we do too!! Being right in the mix I hope our management realizes its time to be aggressive.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
What did he say about Botterill? ... I wasnt really paying attention
Me either, inquiring minds want to know.

Any version of him not taking responsibility for the defense he is in charge of and which is supposed to be squarely in the wheelhouse of his expertise is not a good look.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Housley threw some shade at Botterill, he was asked if the defense corps here is good enough and he responded 'that's Jason's job'

jucebox

Feb 7, 2019
Theres so much volatility in the play and the outcomes, I cant really blame any particular parties for venting however they choose. Sometimes it looks like the sabres are ONLY solid coaching and a few key players/maturities from being contenders, and sometimes it looks like when the other team is generating chances we don't even know what hockey is. I dont put too much stock in Sam saying that, hes not entirely wrong, 6 goals against when Canes have low shots on goal hurts as a goalie no matter how inept the defense can be. Skinner sometimes literally carrying the team into a tie and evening out the score in regulation is probably a shitty feeling when there's tap in goals, sloppy OT coaching and strategy etc.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
We can't trade Risto unfortunately because there is nothing else on the right side

At least Reinhart is establishing himself nicely this season. If he keeps this up he'll start to work his way into the conversation of the elite young players in the game
Let's see. 2 points and was a plus player. Sure let's get rid of him. And last game he was a beast and still the snark about him. Maybe he is not living up to expectations some folks have--but he sure as hell is not the problem on this team.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He absolutely was not a different player to start the season. There were countless posts about his play, his shoulders down sulky line changes, his forced plays. He really turned it on around game 10. He hasn't looked good since his injury, but a bum shoulder/wrist/back doesn't cause you to make the stupid forced plays he's started doing again. And we're now 3 years in a row using an injury as an excuse as to why he's good but not elite. Bergeron doesn't seem to miss a beat when he gets injured, Petterssen has looked fine... elite players find a way.

What do you define as elite?

He's a top 20 forward and a top 8-13 centre. There's a lot of good forwards in the league.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
What do you define as elite?

He's a top 20 forward and a top 8-13 centre. There's a lot of good forwards in the league.

Elite is playing the way Eichel did for those 15 or so games... for 50+ games a season.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Oh...countless posts.... now there is a good indicator ...we have people on here with countless posts about life as we know it is over because of a sporting event.

I didn't put blame on his shitty play with the injury ... You're right...he is back in the funk of forcing plays

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Meanwhile he's the one playing Scandella over Pilut lol
Pilut has been awful against a strong forechecking team and/or a team that cycles. Yes he looks good in open ice and is a lovely skater. But in our zone he has been a liability. He needs to learn more about playing in a faster league, in a smaller rink, against much stronger players. I think he will do it but right now he cannot and is not.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Pilut has been awful against a strong forechecking team and/or a team that cycles. Yes he looks good in open ice and is a lovely skater. But in our zone he has been a liability. He needs to learn more about playing in a faster league, in a smaller rink, against much stronger players. I think he will do it but right now he cannot and is not.
Name one defenseman on this team who's not a liability in the defensive zone, I dare you.

Pilut is the guy who does the most to prevent getting there in the first place.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Easy there Sam, we’ve seen what happens when you speak honestly and negatively in this organization. But hey, if you want to get away from this dumpster fire that’s a good way to do it.

As for the 7-6 or 6-5 games, a good portion of this fanbase at the beginning of the year signed up for just that.

I still would rather lose 6-5, if we are gonna lose that is. Want to win, but losing 2-0 and watching us get stood up at the blue line for 50 mins a night really sucks.

ValJames

Jun 9, 2015
NC
My guess is he will have to address his team in private and apologize for that. Although I do applaud him for having the stones to say it.

Easy there Sam, we’ve seen what happens when you speak honestly and negatively in this organization. But hey, if you want to get away from this dumpster fire that’s a good way to do it.

As for the 7-6 or 6-5 games, a good portion of this fanbase at the beginning of the year signed up for just that.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
“Except for how they played for 1/8th of the season they are the same” is not a super compelling take. How do they compare if you throw out this year’s worst 10 game stretch?

How do they compare if you also throw out last seasons’ best 10 game stretch to be fair?

It's not a 'super compelling take'. It's simply the facts at hand.

They have played one good 10 game stretch this year. The results out of the other 43 have been no different than last year during the Tankathon.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
G: Skinner

B: not nearly enough heart in this team to see it through to the end.

U: as sad as it is to say, after 50 yrs of supporting this team, the wife and I are considering supporting the Avalanche. I know, I know, we've heard the negative from so many. But, we both feel we've earned the right to select a team where our personal views on where they are headed would be acceptable.
This is not a final decision, but, we are seriously considering it. Bare in mind before you pass judgement, the wife and I have been Sabres faithful since the 70's, myself since the team was created, she followed suit in 74, we were so young, I was 5, she was 4. But the time has come, after all these decades, for at least the chance to cheer on a cup win.
As I said, we are seriously considering it.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
This team is going to implode after this tweet. There's no way you can say that **** and the locker room doesn't turn to cancer.

I personally disagree, although Linus and Hutton have both had a few bad games for sure but defense doesn't help. I do think that Sam is just trying to win games and is playing well but I don't see how this doesn't just turn everything to ****.

Hutton and Ullmark have been no better than Chad Johnson during the past 20 games. About time SOMEONE calls them out for their putrid play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad