GBU: That one hurts

Discussion in 'Buffalo Sabres' started by CrazyPsycho, Feb 7, 2019.

1. SnuggaRUDE

SnuggaRUDE Registered User

*YAWN*

2. CrazyPsycho

CrazyPsycho Registered User

Home Page:
    Aka the 2018-19 Sabres...."Been there, done that, mental midgets 2.0"

3. CrazyPsycho

CrazyPsycho Registered User

Home Page:
  4. sabrebuild

sabrebuild Registered User

I agree, team defense is generally a bigger problem, I would have been far more impressed if he had called out his captain for an utter trash defensive game.

But I don’t get the opportune comment? He’s been really feeling it for like a calendar year at this point.

5. sabrebuild

Nhlers call each other out all the time. It’s what competitive people do.

This is hilariously tame and it’s a ppg star of the franchise talking about a couple of journeyman goalies. I can suspect who will win that battle.

Doug Prishpreed likes this.
  6. stokes84

stokes84 Registered User

These guys aren’t dumb. The message was sent.

7. IlikeEich

IlikeEich Registered User

No, it’s not. There’s no reason to mention the GM and doing so implies fault on his part. “Of course these guys can play. I believe in them, and I don’t believe that’s a fair question to ask. Next.” Easy. That is a ****ing horrendous answer bound to raise eyebrows.

littletonhockeycoach likes this.
  8. sabremike

sabremike Church of the Magic Giraffe

*BuddDwyer.gif*

Doug Prishpreed and Fearnot like this.
  9. IlikeEich

IlikeEich Registered User

Then you address that in house, cause that one implies the gm needs to do something AND you don’t believe in your guys. Christ, at least sam said what he meant to directly and didn’t pass the blame in the wussiest way possible.

Also, not sure how Botts has anything to do with Scandella still playing.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    littletonhockeycoach likes this.
  10. littletonhockeycoach

littletonhockeycoach NOT the Hanson Bros.....

retired ex Fed
    Agree with everything you said except the defenders not being bad.

Our D is not that good. Yet.......

I could put a long laundry list of issues together that need to be addressed. I'm sure you can too. And a few others on this board like Joshjull, Chain, Old Goalie, etc.....

Dahlin will fix a lot of the problem. He'll needs some supporting cast members however. Botterill needs to address this. Last off season's roster modifications were not substantial enough.

The problem I see here is that once a player gets liked (or disliked), many (not all) posters tend to emphasize what ever incident best fits the poster's own personal agenda. All hell breaks loose for example if I criticize lets say....Pilot.... because he gets manhandled due to his physical size and the poor angles he takes to the puck. Heck, I love his skill and he's a keeper. But if he shows me hes needs improvement somewhere and I point it out, it doesn't mean I don't think he's a positive asset to the team.

brian_griffin and hizzoner like this.
  11. dortt

dortt Registered User

isn't that a decision that would get most people committed to a mental institution?

No sane person would EVER make that decision.

Can we get a professional evaluation of Housley? Something is clearly wrong with him if he even thinks of making that change

12. SnuggaRUDE

They sure folded after being down 2 goals. Much analysis, such insight.

jc17 likes this.
  13. SnuggaRUDE

I'm not sure I'd say the D is -good- but I think they're passable. They're being strung out by a terrible system which leaves them high and dry. They're not big and physical, but they shouldn't need to be. This team has the assets to employ a system that creates turnovers at the blue line. It's not '96 any more, you shouldn't game plan to plow guys out of the crease. They give the puck away because fast teams are able to threaten possession.

Could the defensive group get better? Undoubtedly, but the talent is there for a competitive NHL 6.

14. hizzoner

hizzoner Registered User Sponsor

To me that means that Housley or somebody sees that we need D that will win board battles, move guys from front of the net and not take crap from the other team. Hope those 2 are capable of doing that.

15. Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed Registered User

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
    Oh man, that’s dark. Award for the biggest laugh out loud I’ve had on these boards

Fearnot and sabremike like this.
  16. Tatanka

Tatanka Registered User

I am not convinced Dahlin will fix his defensive faux pas without better coaching. He makes the same mistakes repeatedly without any consequence. He is taking more chances offensively but he is not the same safe play player he was earlier in the year. He needs a stronger hand to remind him the play he sees may not be the one his teamates see or can do. Offensively he will wow, but I want him to build good habits defensively. We were having a lot of success when he was locking things down in an admittedly pedestrian fashion. Sweet Georgia Brown I hope they don't eff this kid up. He can be otherworldly if coached properly.

17. Rasmus Ascendant

Rasmus Ascendant cybersabre his prophet

He's in better form. I don't know what statistic best coveys hesitance or passes to nowhere but he's dropped that of late

18. brian_griffin

brian_griffin "Premiere Poster" ??

Hunter-Gatherer
    MSG blacked out because this was a Canes road game for my area. Very homeristic canes broadcast, somewhat uncharacteristically. Forslund and Tracy felt there could have been goalie interference on Skinners 2nd goal (I think) where the Sabre was clearly ridden into McIlheny and it was barely a brush.

As re: these media comments, the team defense has been poor for a while. The mark ups down low are routinely not happening. The switches on zone coverage must not be being communicated routinely because I regularly see Risto out for strolls without a forward taking a down-low opponent. Scandella is often in the high slot when the Sabres gain possession. Against the Wild he wasn’t even circling back to give McCabe a safety outlet on several breakouts. Sobotka prefers to play the puck into the center of the slot vs working it up the boards. McCabe has made terrible passing decisions in his d-zone. The pass to Reinhart for his Wild goal was brilliant. Why isn’t that vision there in the d-zone? Bogo is at least skating well. Dahlin needs to do a factory reset to return to his balanced offense & defense earlier in the season. Pilut is a wonderful talent - should be paired with Risto or Bogo against teams with a heavy forecheck.

The real problem though is, as others have noted, the forwards.
    at a minimum, a stand-up coach would say it’s his job to have the players ready, regardless of their talent level, injury call-ups, etc.

Forward lines are fine given their team deficiencies: Poms, okposo, Sobotka and Thompson are the weak links / borderline NHLers, and with exception of 4th line are distributed in lineup. I actually liked okposo with Girgs and Larry but as another poster noted Would prefer Larry remain out if his injury is still nagging.

Goals were not Ullmarks fault but he wasn’t tracking the puck well early. Skaters should be ashamed allowing 2 GA on the first 8 shots and basically doubling CAR’s SOG through most the game until CAR got rolling in the 3rd.

Skinners goals were beauties and I truly love how much joy he shows playing the game. The slash call on him was pure BS - it was Bogo who hacked the Cane.

Mittelstadt is slowly improving. Can’t wait to see him stronger in two years.
    Sorry if all this was in GDT. I stayed out of that this game.

Will miss Sat & Sun matinees. You die-hards have fun.

19. sabrebuild

Sure, definitely a little sharper.

20. TheCerebral1

TheCerebral1 Lord and Master of Zero F#cks Given!

Also, can we please remove head coaching duties from Housley. :D