Movies: Terminator: Dark Fate

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I remember going to see T2-3D: Battle Across Time at Universal Studios in Florida.

It was a far better sequel to Terminator 2.

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Likely, they needed it to have a strong box office to keep studio interest, but it looks like its busting and busting hard.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Once Arnold is done, I'm just not sure how they can keep any interest in it. They keep putting off the future war for the sake of trying to kick-start a trilogy, but in doing so, they've just killed the interest. Now, it's at a point where I bet most casual people are just confused at what is going on.

Reactions: Supermassive

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Once Arnold is done, I'm just not sure how they can keep any interest in it. They keep putting off the future war for the sake of trying to kick-start a trilogy, but in doing so, they've just killed the interest. Now, it's at a point where I bet most casual people are just confused at what is going on.

We had the future war in Salvation.

I say hire the people of Westworld, do a thing about robots and at the very end..boom...John Connor is a robot.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I'm sure this franchise is done for, unless they're gonna go with same major reboot with totally different people. It's going to lose a lot of money.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's really a shame this bombed, because I enjoyed the hell out of it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah I don't think it's as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. I find it better than Hobbs & Shaw, yet it'll probably make $400+ million less at the box office.
I think people went into Hobbs & Shaw konwing it was going to be a mindless action film, but with any Terminator film because of how good T1 and T2 were, there is an expectation of a quality story to go along with it.

I'm also someone that doesn't really bother with the Fast & Furious or spin-offs anymore because they are just simply mindless over the top action films now.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Safe bet the franchise is finished IMO

$130M loss is up there with John Carter , Mortal Engines and A Wrinkle In Time" for most money lost on a film

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm sure this franchise is done for, unless they're gonna go with same major reboot with totally different people. It's going to lose a lot of money.

If your going that route I think you would be better off forgoing the Terminator brand altogether and starting again, it's more a hindrance than a help at this point

I'm old enough to have been around when T1 and T2 were in the cinemas and it's going to be bloody difficult to live up to that legacy

Yeah I don't think it's as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. I find it better than Hobbs & Shaw, yet it'll probably make $400+ million less at the box office.

Hobbs and Shaw was brutal but it is what it is, mindless entertainment that kills a couple of hours

People demand more of Terminator movies, also making a movie that keeps the nostalgia of T1 and T2 which keeps original Terminator fans coming back that has an original angle that appeals to new fans is difficult to say the least

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
No surprised its not doing that well. They obviously didn't care about making a good movie but had other objectives.

The movie was great, people really need to give it a chance.

Tim Miller Says ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ Will ‘Scare the F*ck’ Out of Misogynistic Internet Trolls

The upcoming reboot “Terminator: Dark Fate” triples down on leading women by casting Hamilton opposite Mackenzie Davis and Natalia Reyes.

Trolls started bashing the film the minute Paramount debuted key art depicting all three women together. For director Tim Miller, that misogynistic backlash is meaningless.

Miller, who broke out in Hollywood after directing “Deadpool,” recently spoke with Variety ahead of bringing “Terminator: Dark Fate” to Comic-Con later this month. The filmmaker said Mackenzie’s cyborg character Grace will be enough to get misogynistic internet trolls shaking in their boots.

“If you’re at all enlightened, she’ll play like gangbusters. If you’re a closet misogynist, she’ll scare the f*** out of you, because she’s tough and strong but very feminine,” Miller said. “We did not trade certain gender traits for others; she’s just very strong, and that frightens some dudes. You can see online the responses to some of the early shit that’s out there, trolls on the internet. I don’t give a f***.”

Marketing movies like this is a horrible idea. I think it will end soon enough. This film bombing as hard as it has will help contribute to that.

Its just stupid and petty and pandering to an audience you don't need to pander to. If your movie demonstrates strong female roles then the people that aspect is meant to appeal to will pick up on it. Telling your audience how they should or how they will react to something is just stupid. Especially so when a large portion of your built in audience such as with Ghostbusters and now with Terminator, whether you like it or not, are men. When your preemptive take is "if you don't like this then you are an insecure misogynist"....you cant be surprised when people tell you to f*** off. As they did with both those movies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Marketing movies like this is a horrible idea. I think it will end soon enough. This film bombing as hard as it has will help contribute to that.

Its just stupid and petty and pandering to an audience you don't need to pander to. If your movie demonstrates strong female roles then the people that aspect is meant to appeal to will pick up on it. Telling your audience how they should or how they will react to something is just stupid. Especially so when a large portion of your built in audience such as with Ghostbusters and now with Terminator, whether you like it or not, are men. When your preemptive take is "if you don't like this then you are an insecure misogynist"....you cant be surprised when people tell you to **** off. As they did with both those movies.
The crazy part, this franchise had a genuine female badass from the start and it was never a problem.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Its just stupid and petty and pandering to an audience you don't need to pander to. If your movie demonstrates strong female roles then the people that aspect is meant to appeal to will pick up on it. Telling your audience how they should or how they will react to something is just stupid. Especially so when a large portion of your built in audience such as with Ghostbusters and now with Terminator, whether you like it or not, are men. When your preemptive take is "if you don't like this then you are an insecure misogynist"....you cant be surprised when people tell you to **** off. As they did with both those movies.

The Terminator franchise has a good female character in it with Sarah Connor played by Linda Hamilton so Terminator fans have no problem with woman.

Some movie examples of female characters in movies people love
Sarah Conner ~ The Terminator
Ellen Ripley ~ Alien
Clarice Starling ~ The Silence of the Lambs
Beatrix Kiddo a.k.a. The Bride ~ Kill Bill
Leia Organa ~ Star Wars
Dorothy Gale ~ The Wizard of Oz

Some t.v. show examples of female characters in t.v. shows people love
Buffy Summers ~ Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Xena ~ Xena: Warrior Princess
Dana Scully ~ The X-Files
Lucy Ricardo ~ I Love Lucy
Elaine Benes ~ Seinfeld

What people have a problem with is the current agenda Hollywood is pushing. People don't like agendas being pushed in their entertainment, their escapism from the real world. Saying that people are being misogynist is so stupid especially when talking about fans of a franchise that has had a female playing a huge part in some of the movies of that franchise.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
The Terminator franchise has a good female character in it with Sarah Connor played by Linda Hamilton so Terminator fans have no problem with woman.

Some movie examples of female characters in movies people love
Sarah Conner ~ The Terminator
Ellen Ripley ~ Alien
Clarice Starling ~ The Silence of the Lambs
Beatrix Kiddo a.k.a. The Bride ~ Kill Bill
Leia Organa ~ Star Wars
Dorothy Gale ~ The Wizard of Oz

Some t.v. show examples of female characters in t.v. shows people love
Buffy Summers ~ Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Xena ~ Xena: Warrior Princess
Dana Scully ~ The X-Files
Lucy Ricardo ~ I Love Lucy
Elaine Benes ~ Seinfeld

What people have a problem with is the current agenda Hollywood is pushing. People don't like agendas being pushed in their entertainment, their escapism from the real world. Saying that people are being misogynist is so stupid especially when talking about fans of a franchise that has had a female playing a huge part in some of the movies of that franchise.

Trying to antagonize any potential audience members before the film has even completed its run is offensively stupid. Leave the criticism for the postmortem.

Reactions: Legend Leinonen

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Perhaps the passage of time and the disjointedness of the sequels has turned a once epic popular franchise into a cult franchise. And cult movie watchers don't drive the box office.

I guess my question is, did the critics love the movie (71% Tomatometer) because it's a solid movie, or because it may have pandered to the liberal bent of current-day movie reviewers? Ghostbusters (2016) at 74% seems to have a lot in common with Dark Fate.

Reactions: Moon Man

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I guess my question is, did the critics love the movie (71% Tomatometer) because it's a solid movie, or because it may have pandered to the liberal bent of current-day movie reviewers? Ghostbusters (2016) at 74% seems to have a lot in common with Dark Fate.

I had the same thought last week when I finally watched last year's Halloween sequel. I thought that it was very average and gave it a 5/10 in my review, but critics gave it a 79% on the Tomatometer, which is awfully high for a horror film, let alone a horror sequel, let alone a slasher horror sequel. Did the critics like it so much because it's that good of a movie or because, in this #MeToo era, they found it appealing to watch three strong women team up to take down a big, bad man? I haven't seen Dark Fate yet, but it sounds like it has a roughly similar story line going for it.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Perhaps the passage of time and the disjointedness of the sequels has turned a once epic popular franchise into a cult franchise. And cult movie watchers don't drive the box office.

I think there is a portion of that, you can see the opposite trend with a movie like Joker. RT scores are also pretty flawed because a 6/10 gets a 100% too. I can see plenty of people giving this Terminator a 6/10 just because it's mindless entertainment, but also destroy it because it damages the lore that came before it.

I didn't even think Grace was that bad or that it felt too forced, Dani was though. To me this failed because Terminator never had that huge of a dedicated fan base, and that fan base has been burned too many times before and they just didn't want to go to another disaster.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think there is a portion of that, you can see the opposite trend with a movie like Joker. RT scores are also pretty flawed because a 6/10 gets a 100% too. I can see plenty of people giving this Terminator a 6/10 just because it's mindless entertainment, but also destroy it because it damages the lore that came before it.

I didn't even think Grace was that bad or that it felt too forced, Dani was though. To me this failed because Terminator never had that huge of a dedicated fan base, and that fan base has been burned too many times before and they just didn't want to go to another disaster.

:huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad