GDT: Temporary GDT: Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Relax. Why do some Canucks fans here have such a problem with Oilers fans being confident in their team? I know it was popular to make fun of the Oilers when they were crap, but their team is getting good. Get used to it.

As an oiler fan I have the oilers missing the playoffs this year again-- two years down the line--I think that will be a different story

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
The Oilers are basically the opposite of the Canucks. makes for interesting games :laugh:

Oilers:
- Too many skilled forwards and not enough 3rd line checkers
- bad defense
- bad goaltending

Canucks
- too many 3rd liners not enough skill
- good defense
- good goaltending

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I will tell you that your D core is not going to cut it. There isn't a chance in hell. J. Scultz might as well play forward he is so bad in his own end.

Our top 4 took discount contracts and they all still make a million or so more then Ference. That means the market values any one of our top 4 by more then a million dollars more then your top D man.

If we play anything close to what we did against the Sharks, the Oilers don't have a hope in hell.

But Ference is probably our 3rd best defenceman. Obviously you guys have better D on paper, but we'll see what happens this year. J. Schultz was a rookie last season and played 80+ games that year when he was used to around 30 in college. He got burnt out and played poorly for the last month of the season. He is not as bad as you're making him out to be in his own end. We don't have the top end talent you do like Edler or Hamhuis, but we sure as hell have a lot of depth. 9 or 10 NHL level defenceman.

btdvox

Jul 5, 2013
Vancouver
The Oilers are basically the opposite of the Canucks. makes for interesting games :laugh:

Oilers:
- bad defense
- bad goaltending

Canucks
- good defense
- good goaltending

Too bad good defense and good goaltending is what's most needed in the playoffs. :sarcasm:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Oilers:
- bad defense
- bad goaltending

Canucks
- good defense
- good goaltending

for the oilers you need to change the goaltending from bad to HORRIBLE

Wetcoaster

My opinion is they're a team on the rise. They've been painfully slow at getting better, but they are getting better.

Again, who really cares though? It's like the lot of you can't live with yourselves if an Oilers fan dares be confident and candid about their team's chances against the mighty Canucks. It's funny, really. :laugh:
They are welcome to be so... on the Oilers Forum.

As a Canucks fan try a similar post on other team forums and expect an infraction and possibly a thread/forum ban.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
With these injuries, this is on par with some of the worst lineup's we have ever dressed in the last 5 years

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
But Ference is probably our 3rd best defenceman. Obviously you guys have better D on paper, but we'll see what happens this year. J. Schultz was a rookie last season and played 80+ games that year when he was used to around 30 in college. He got burnt out and played poorly for the last month of the season. He is not as bad as you're making him out to be in his own end. We don't have the top end talent you do like Edler or Hamhuis, but we sure as hell have a lot of depth. 9 or 10 NHL level defenceman.
:laugh:

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Booth had a couple of shifts If I had to guess at lines...

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Booth
Higgins - Kesler - Hansen
Weise - Santorelli - Richardson
Sestito - Dalpe - Weber

Yurgh.

Oh man. Dat bottom 6 be brutal.

Feels like a lifetime ago when we had arguably the best 3rd line in hockey and rolled:

Torres-Malhotra-Hansen
Higgins-Lappiere-Volpati? (or any goon)

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Defenceman the Oilers have that are better than Stanton and Alberts:

Petry
Smid
Ference
J.Schultz
N.Schultz
Belov
Potter
Larsen
Fedun
Klefbom

:laugh: This is laugbale. And J Schultz isnt a defenceman.

Smid is a pylon and Ference was a terrible signing. Considering he's no longer in a defense system. 3 months in and he'll be in trade proposals.

and defenseman that are better than anyone the Oilers have:
Hamhuis
Garrison
Bieksa
Edler
Tanev

and Alex Burrows.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I like it when opposing fans offer opinions. I don't have a problem with him coming in and adding to the discussion. For instance, that tidbit about Joensu was interesting - I'll keep my eye out for him.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
I'm guessing we only score 1 goal again.
This offense is beyond anemic and adding Torts isn't going to change a thing.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
{Mod Edit}
Adding in burrows and Tanev was a bit much. But listing off guys who arent even in the NHL and assuming they're better than NHLers is laughable.

It's like saying:

Canucks players who are better than Ryan Smyth : Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce

Last edited by a moderator:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Defenceman the Oilers have that are better than Stanton and Alberts:

Petry
Smid
Ference
J.Schultz
N.Schultz
Belov
Potter
Larsen
Fedun
Klefbom

Defenceman Vancouver have better than any of those guys

Hamhuis
Edler
Garrison
Bieksa

Edit: Beaten to it

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Adding in burrows and Tanev was a bit much. But listing off guys who arent even in the NHL and assuming they're better than NHLers is laughable.

It's like saying:

Belov is in the NHL, and I'd take him over Alberts every day of the week.

duul

Jun 21, 2010

It's like saying:

Smid is far from a pylon, Ference is solid and J.Schultz is infact a defenceman.

We have a logjam on the bottom pairing, and any one of Larsen, Klefbom, Potter, Grebeshkov could slot into the bottom pairing and look comfortable. So it's actually a lot different than what you're referring to. I am sure that most of them would be playing tonight in your lineup in place of the Alberts/Stantons.

Also, those three prospects probably are better than Smyth.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton

It's like saying:

Bad comparison. Those players ARE better than Smyth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad