OT: Teh Philidelphia Severty Sixers: Were Stil Doing It For JS’s Goodest and Bestest Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Why dont they want the 76ers? The reason they got rid of Hinkie was because they didnt like that their 4rh largest market was losing money/interest. So now they dont want them in the final 4? You think they would want Milwaukee/Atlanta? Im sure they would love Brooklyn/Sixers. I just cant get on board with the fact the league would want Atlanta in over them. That is just me though.
If I see another lopsided officiated game then I can't help but think the way I do.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Lowe Suggests McCollum For Simmons Trade

This is what we get for waiting and hoping he turned the switch on...instead lights out or at least dimming lights..
They could do a lot worse if that's the range of player they would be able to get for him. Over the last six seasons McCollum has averaged 24 points per game including the playoffs. For his career including the playoffs he is shooting 39.8 percent from three. He is a great fit in terms of a shooter and spacer to play with an Embiid centric team. The only ''problem'' is that he is a better version of Seth but considering the fact that their bench has been an issue all year, having Seth as a the 6th man would probably be a good thing.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
They could do a lot worse if that's the range of player they would be able to get for him. Over the last six seasons McCollum has averaged 24 points per game including the playoffs. For his career including the playoffs he is shooting 39.8 percent from three. He is a great fit in terms of a shooter and spacer to play with an Embiid centric team. The only ''problem'' is that he is a better version of Seth but considering the fact that their bench has been an issue all year, having Seth as a the 6th man would probably be a good thing.

Thing is we have to add "sweetener" for them to take Ben even for McCollum...

My thing is that I do not want to give him away or thin ourselves out now that he has inflicted damage on himself by exposing his mental fragility in the playoffs. If he has to settle for being a role player and we hand over the ball handling to somebody else like Maxey until Morey can offload him for something better ...then Ben is going to have to swallow his pride and the team is going to have to pull off the kid gloves. Also, he needs to put in the work in the offseason...it is beyond ridiculous he is the same player as when we drafted him...

EDIT: Actually more I think about it...he has to be traded ASAP before his value becomes nil ...

Doubt it...but have at it...

Could Damian Lillard Help Bring Out the Best of Ben Simmons? - Portland Trail Blazers News, Analysis, Highlights and More From Sports Illustrated

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Straw

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I wouldnt trade Ben for CJ. He is already 31. Not sure there is anyone out there now, but to those that think his value is basically nothing. Never underestimate the male ego, there will be coaches/gms out there that see his physical talent and think they will be able to set him straight.

Reactions: Jack Straw and JXC

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
FB_IMG_1624122824376.jpg

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Thing is we have to add "sweetener" for them to take Ben even for McCollum...

My thing is that I do not want to give him away or thin ourselves out now that he has inflicted damage on himself by exposing his mental fragility in the playoffs. If he has to settle for being a role player and we hand over the ball handling to somebody else like Maxey until Morey can offload him for something better ...then Ben is going to have to swallow his pride and the team is going to have to pull off the kid gloves. Also, he needs to put in the work in the offseason...it is beyond ridiculous he is the same player as when we drafted him...

EDIT: Actually more I think about it...he has to be traded ASAP before his value becomes nil ...

Doubt it...but have at it...

Could Damian Lillard Help Bring Out the Best of Ben Simmons? - Portland Trail Blazers News, Analysis, Highlights and More From Sports Illustrated

Aside from the age issue (where I agree with @Halladay) that article makes a decent case why at least hypothetically Simmons could work in a new role with Portland. My point is, if that could hypothetically work for Portland why shouldn't the Sixers try it? If Maxey is the starting PG then granted, while he is not as good as Dame, we're talking about the same basic idea. Keep in mind that Green is not under contract for next year so the Sixers need to find a starting SF. That could be Matisse if he improves his shooting, but if he does improve his shooting then he could conceivably take Curry's spot as the starting SG with Seth going to the bench.

I think the main point everyone involved needs to accept is that, as the article comes right and and states, Simmons is not suited to be the primary ball handler on a contending team. If all parties (Simmons, 76ers, potential trade partners) accept that then maybe the best option of what to do with him becomes a little easier to figure out. I don't claim to know what that is (trade, vs no trade, vs wait and see?) but I think that's where you start.

Reactions: Embiid

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I wouldnt trade Ben for CJ. He is already 31. Not sure there is anyone out there now, but to those that think his value is basically nothing. Never underestimate the male ego, there will be coaches/gms out there that see his physical talent and think they will be able to set him straight.

seriously you really think that teams are just going trade their young stars for ben? if ben pulls a fultz next year we are basically going to get nothing but trash picks and role players back. i dont care how old these players are because this is not a rebuilding year, it's about getting embiid a championship before his career is over which is probably a 2 to 3 year window, if you think he's going to last he's 40 you are seriously out of touch. there's no time.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
seriously you really think that teams are just going trade their young stars for ben? if ben pulls a fultz next year we are basically going to get nothing but trash picks and role players back. i dont care how old these players are because this is not a rebuilding year, it's about getting embiid a championship before his career is over which is probably a 2 to 3 year window, if you think he's going to last he's 40 you are seriously out of touch. there's no time.
Young stars? No. But there is a middle ground between that and CJ. I think the best time to trade him is around the deadline as he will be coming off his month and a half of good play so he can be an all star. I know Joel only has a few years left in him at his peak, but you are living in another reality if you think CJ makes this a championship team.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Gobert is getting exposed badly. DPOY my ass.

again.. the myth of defense needs to be put to rest. You can't stop great offense. IN fact you can't even slow it down . Teams that are fantastic on offense force other teams into mistakes because they know the pressure they are under to score .

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Simmons has plenty of value, not just defense (which does matter) but also in transition.
They just have to accept he can't run the half court defense.

Reactions: JXC

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
again.. the myth of defense needs to be put to rest. You can't stop great offense. IN fact you can't even slow it down . Teams that are fantastic on offense force other teams into mistakes because they know the pressure they are under to score .

I watched that 2nd half, and I don’t even know if you could call it “great offense.” The Clippers went nuts % wise shooting pretty open 3s. It was great strategy. It certainly wasn’t GREAT OFFENSE v. GREAT DEFENSE. Sure, it’s an offensive league but Jazz perimeter defenders — including great offense Mitchell (which defeats your point to some degree) — were getting turnstiled, and much like hockey defenders nearest the goal look the worst, Gobert probably gets an unfair portion of the blame on that end. It’s a rock and a hard place for him if the first level defense in a 5 out is getting abused.

Not being able to contribute offensively to mitigate small ball is more on Gobert. But if Utah actually had a smidgen of perimeter defense, it might’ve been a different result.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

I think the age that matters most is Embiid and a 27 year old Embiid, is really more like a 30 year at this point due to injuries. I don't see a 35 year old Embiid being anywhere near what he is now. The Sixers window revolves around Embiid. I'm not sure CJ McCollum is that guy... But I don't think trading Simmons for guys 4-6 years older than him is a real negative because I don't ever see Simmons becoming a player capable of being the main star of a team like Embiid is.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I watched that 2nd half, and I don’t even know if you could call it “great offense.” The Clippers went nuts % wise shooting pretty open 3s. It was great strategy. It certainly wasn’t GREAT OFFENSE v. GREAT DEFENSE. Sure, it’s an offensive league but Jazz perimeter defenders — including great offense Mitchell (which defeats your point to some degree) — were getting turnstiled, and much like hockey defenders nearest the goal look the worst, Gobert probably gets an unfair portion of the blame on that end. It’s a rock and a hard place for him if the first level defense in a 5 out is getting abused.

Not being able to contribute offensively to mitigate small ball is more on Gobert. But if Utah actually had a smidgen of perimeter defense, it might’ve been a different result.

Analytics say if you're within 4 feet of a 3 point shot, % complete declines from 40 to 30%, only a few 3 point shooters can make their own shot, most depend on getting a pass when open for a clean shot.

So yeah, perimeter defense matters, both a matter of IQ (knowing when to double and rotate) and speed/hustle, getting to the shooter without fouling him.

I'd fine my players $1K for every time they bite on a pump fake and foul a 3 point shooter. The point isn't to try to block the shot, but distract the shooter, all you need to do is get your hands up vertically and jump straight up, not at the ball trying to block it.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

If they were getting turnstiled its because they are great shooters. If you have to come up on a perimeter player because he can shoot then you are basically giving them a layup and collapsing the defense because no perimeter defender can react quick enough to dribble penetration. . Its like the old AI saying, if the jumpshot is on its over. The only hope you had with AI was praying he was not hitting from deep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad