OT: Teh Philidelphia Severty Sixers: Were Stil Doing It For JS’s Goodest and Bestest Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
If we keep him we just have to be tactical with his usage like tonight and hope all the synapses in his brain connect by 25 when your brain is more fully developed...

He is turning himself into a role player sadly

That could be an option but I still don't want him running the offense.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
That's what I mean by "reinventing himself". And he's not all that good as a ball handler. In transition, yes, in the halfcourt no. If he's willing to change his mindset, re-think who/what he is as a basketball player, then because of the talent he has, give him the chance. If he declines (which I think he would), trade him.
The 'reinventing' isnt a matter of position though.
Whether he's a 1,3, or a 5 he cant start in an NBA playoff game and take 4 shots.
Regardless of lineups or roles the same issue persists.
He's either got to take a bigger role as a scorer or he's not going to be able to start on any team with title hopes.
Whether thats on the Sixers or not is up to Morey.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
for as much love as trae gets he is shooting 43% in the playoffs and 34% from 3. kind of surprising how inefficient that is

They’ve played him fairly well numbers wise and visually — for the most part. Atlanta doesn’t have a second guy good enough in isos, and he takes a ton of tough shots, whether necessity or vanity. He’s amazing but the media loves pushing narratives too.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They’ve played him well numbers wise minus game 1. Atlanta doesn’t have a second guy good enough in isos, and he takes a ton of tough shots, whether necessary or vanity.

Also...his hair

Reactions: Magua

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I dont think even Simmons' biggest haters could have anticipated he'd respond this poorly to adversity especially these last 3 games.

Prior to to this series he was a perennial All-Star/DPOY candidate.
After this series his value is almost certainly negative leaguewide.

The G7 home crowd might legit break him.

I basically agree with that and I honestly feel for the guy. He has such talent, but I honestly believe that talent is being wasted. He will never, ever, ever be a good PG. I know you and I have had this debate before but it's been what, 4 years now? And no real improvement in that area. I love the defense and if he could fit himself into a new role on the team I'd be all for it. But what we're seeing now just can't continue. And the big problem is, it happens every year in the playoffs. Even Brett Brown, the guy who decided he was a PG in the first place, took the ball out of his hands and gave it to Butler when it matters. You just can't have that from your point guard.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
I’m not holding my breath but it would be funny if Ben had a monster game 7. No one would know what to think

Reactions: JXC

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I’m not holding my breath but it would be funny if Ben had a monster game 7. No one would know what to think
I would think it is a one off....

It would be great if he did. I mean I want the guy to do well and succeed but it has been 4 years and his game growth has been akin to that of a dwarf...

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
I would think it is a one off....

It would be great if he did. I mean I want the guy to do well and succeed but it has been 4 years and his game growth has been akin to that of a dwarf...
I agree. At this point it’s time to call a spade a spade

Reactions: Embiid

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
The 'reinventing' isnt a matter of position though.
Whether he's a 1,3, or a 5 he cant start in an NBA playoff game and take 4 shots.
Regardless of lineups or roles the same issue persists.
He's either got to take a bigger role as a scorer or he's not going to be able to start on any team with title hopes.
Whether thats on the Sixers or not is up to Morey.

To an extent I think it is though. We've all heard him say how he sees his job as making plays for his team mates. How many times have we seen him pass up an open look at the rim, to pass to someone else? I think I am correct in saying that in his one year in college, he outscored the guy who was supposed to be the next KD (Ingram). Tell him his job is scoring. He will still have plenty of opportunities to pass because Doc (and most coaches these days) want the ball moving, so everybody passes. And the reality is, when he brings the ball upcourt and passes it off he just goes and sits in the low post and he's not involved in the offense at all, not as a passer or a scorer.

I don't know. Unless there is some miraculous transformation in whatever remains of the Sixers playoff run, I have no problem moving on from him. He's not worth much in trade as things stand but I think the team needs to move on from the way things are one way or another.

Reactions: 4who4what

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Let's see what both of them bring next game and hopefully a 7th. Tomorrow though will be really telling....I expect more of the same from Ben the polished turd but not Tobi.
Sure enough....hope Tobi continues and Doc manages Ben's insertions again..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad