OT: Teh Philidelphia Severty Sixers: Were Stil Doing It For JS’s Goodest and Bestest Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If they were getting turnstiled its because they are great shooters. If you have to come up on a perimeter player because he can shoot then you are basically giving them a layup and collapsing the defense because no perimeter defender can react quick enough to dribble penetration. . Its like the old AI saying, if the jumpshot is on its over. The only hope you had with AI was praying he was not hitting from deep

No team attempts more 3s per game than the Jazz (regular season OR postseason)— at the 4th best %. Clippers had the best % this season but on average volume. So, what’s your point about great shooting?

Closing on a good 3 point shooter doesn’t mean you automatically “give them a layup” or can just turnstile perimeter defenders. You still have to actually have the ability to win off the dribble. Maybe against shitty perimeter defense it does. Which is why Gobert constantly went to help before it got kicked back out, he late contested, *bam* 3 pointer. Clips exposed a weakness in Utah’s defense, not defense or scheming in general. Clippers just went supernova while doing it. I know the drill here, so I’m done. But you can’t wave away the impact of good perimeter defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Embiid

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
No team attempts more 3s per game than the Jazz (regular season OR postseason)— at the 4th best %. Clippers had the best % this season but on average volume. So, what’s your point about great shooting?

Closing on a good 3 point shooter doesn’t mean you automatically “give them a layup” or can just turnstile perimeter defenders. You still have to actually have the ability to win off the dribble. Maybe against shitty perimeter defense it does. Which is why Gobert constantly went to help before it got kicked back out, he late contested, *bam* 3 pointer. Clips exposed a weakness in Utah’s defense, not defense or scheming in general. Clippers just went supernova while doing it. I know the drill here, so I’m done. But you can’t wave away the impact of good perimeter defense.

my point is you can't stop a great shooter if they are on.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Without getting involved in the specific discussion, I just want to say that “analytics” absolutely does not say don’t take Long 2s or midrange shots.

What we’ve learned should mostly disappear is the long spot up 2. Completely different discussion. In the modern league, most mid/long-range 2s are off the dribble. It’s off the catch where he league has pulled back behind the arc.

Chris Paul just put up one of the best series from mid-range we’ve seen since data got much better in 1997-98. The efficiency bar is just so high that it makes them a shot for stars. The relatively few players who can do this to the degree that a defense has to respect is part of what creates space for role players to get more efficient shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: JXC and BigToe

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Watching yesterday, there were still plenty of times where he was the one "running" the offense....calling out the plays. I would strip him of that completely.

That’s mostly for show. He brings it up before just handing it off and going to the dunker spot. Calling out a play before doing that isn’t really “running” it, is it?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That’s mostly for show. He brings it up before just handing it off and going to the dunker spot. Calling out a play before doing that isn’t really “running” it, is it?
Then why are fans complaining about him being the PG...if he really isn't being deployed as one.

Honest question

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Then why are fans complaining about him being the PG...if he really isn't being deployed as one.

Honest question

Because right now he’s not playing like a PG or a PF or anything in between. He’s basically a statue — his usage rate is in team low territory. He’s better than this; usually he occupies more of a grey zone between the two . When he actually drives lanes like normal, flaws and all, he’s elite at finding spot up shooters. But playoff teams with better rosters can scheme against him — better than Atlanta. He’s beyond rattled right now, doesn’t want the ball, doesn’t want to get fouled, and his passing is rendered useless.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

Honest question

Because Maxey comes in and does PG kinds of things and the fans think, "wow, wouldn't it be cool if we had one of those?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad