OT: Teh Philadelphia Seventy Sixers: We'll Make You Tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I really don't know what the hell to do with the way Thybulle has shot. Even his NCAA FT% was bipolar: 71%, 84%, 71%, 85%.

If he's a 40% 3PT shooter on 2.5 attempts/game from day one, that's a completely different animal than what anyone thought.

A Korkmaz upgrade from the buyout market is my biggest reasonable wish at this point.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I really don't know what the hell to do with the way Thybulle has shot. Even his NCAA FT% was bipolar: 71%, 84%, 71%, 85%.

If he's a 40% 3PT shooter on 2.5 attempts/game from day one, that's a completely different animal than what anyone thought.

A Korkmaz upgrade from the buyout market is my biggest reasonable wish at this point.

I'm ok with Korkmaz off the bench. The glaring buy out need for me is backup point guard. Neto and Burke are meh NBA backups. They are not teams going to the finals backup quality.

Reactions: Schwarbomb

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I'm ok with Korkmaz off the bench. The glaring buy out need for me is backup point guard. Neto and Burke are meh NBA backups. They are not teams going to the finals backup quality.
This is what I think as well. The only glaring thing they need is a ball handler off the bench, a good one. I haven't been able to follow along like past years, but Iguodala would be great, but he probably wants to team up with James.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Obviously, Matisse’s offense will be dictated by his shot. And boy is it falling. But his feel for the game is just vastly improved from preseason-early season.

You can obviously see it in his defense, as he’s still aggressively compiling stocks and deflections and closing out while not over committing and venturing into recklessness as much. Savant. But with the ball — minus Raptor full court presses — he’s showing much better decision making. I remember early on, it didn’t seem like he could make a basic pass and was telegraphing it. But now he’s swinging it efficiently, is getting his NBA feel for space and timing, and I don’t know if playing with Ben is inspiring him, but he’s even mixing in the odd cheeky pass. Probably finishing at the rim on some cut plays is his next progression. That dunk tonight was whoa nelly.

And above all (above all!), those dimples.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The comments from the studio crew made a lot more sense today than in times past. The gripes of Shaq and Charles. Having Kenny there to translate was a needed touch. Jokic didn't look himself, and Embiid had a mix of playing team ball, and still wreckless with turn overs/avoidance of the deep post.

The preseason hype was unearned. Brett Brown transfers between hot seat candidate and solid coach worthy of long term status. Simmons and Embiid can dominate any given night, but often don't. Argh.

Harris is coming around nicely. Thybulle is a huge revelation, Korkmaz a small one. Alfred Horford is leaving a je ne sais quoi left to be desired. It makes sense that Richardson is battling injuries, so #Sixers.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

I feel like I irrationally hate Korkmaz relative to his play, but then I see his shoes

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
The preseason hype was unearned.

This team really plays with my emotions.
No visible improvement in needed areas from the top 2 guys and yet theyre still 18-7 and 13-0 at home.

Advanced stats lean towards this team not even scratching its ceiling yet so my cynicism is still high but Brett doesnt really get the motor going until the 2nd half anyway.

I think we're better in a 7 game series than all the East teams except the Bucks.
And our size makes the matchup somewhat more favorable even if they have the best player and system.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I think people don't give this team enough credit. 3 major contributors are new (Jrich, Al, and Mathrisse)

Though I do think the carelessness with the ball in crunch time is concerning at this point. However, I think that'll dissipate as the team comes together

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Korkmaz will get run off the floor in the playoffs imo.

I think, in a 7-8 man playoff rotation, they will go back to J-Rich handling the ball when Simmons is out.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
This is worth reading:

Philadelphia 76ers Need Joel Embiid To Be Joel Embiid, Warts and All

I think he will eventually figure it out. The team needs him to.
I agree.

Embiid is no dummy, and neither is Simmons. They both very easily can look in the mirror and adapt, which is what the very best do. Embiid has improved against the double team, though he's not where he needs to be right now. He's changed his diet and lost weight. He's further developed his mid-long range jumper. He's more effective setting screens.

People seem to forget how young he and Simmons are. Where was Giannis in his 3rd/4th year?

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
This is worth reading:

Philadelphia 76ers Need Joel Embiid To Be Joel Embiid, Warts and All

I think he will eventually figure it out. The team needs him to.
Fun Embiid is best Embiid. Right now there is a chicken and the egg scenario, and in light of that article, Charles and Shaq still do sound like old timers yelling "get off my lawn."

Embiid does need to produce at the monster levels people expect, and if he needs to be a jerk to get there, then the observers need to adapt to that new normal.

Reactions: Jack Straw

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Randomly came across this today: Thybulle has now passed Brandon Clarke and leads all Rookies in VORP. This is particularly interesting because he’s not the type that VORP and everything else derived from BPM tends to overrate — think Westbrook-style stat stuffers with ridiculous Usage rates.

Reactions: Schwarbomb

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Randomly came across this today: Thybulle has now passed Brandon Clarke and leads all Rookies in VORP. This is particularly interesting because he’s not the type that VORP and everything else derived from BPM tends to overrate — think Westbrook types with ridiculous Usage rates.
Happy that it looks like we fleeced the Celtics this time to get Thybulle...

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Randomly came across this today: Thybulle has now passed Brandon Clarke and leads all Rookies in VORP. This is particularly interesting because he’s not the type that VORP and everything else derived from BPM tends to overrate — think Westbrook-style stat stuffers with ridiculous Usage rates.
I did that search today as well: Player Season Finder | Basketball-Reference.com His awful collegiate rebounding has carried over but right now he's playing better than just about anyone could have hoped.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad