Ted Lindsay: Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews, and Sidney Crosby

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Votes are supposed to be submitted before the playoffs even begin no? How do you include playoffs if they haven’t even began
Well, obviously you would wait until the playoffs are over. Perhaps have half of the vote contingent on effective individual performance in the playoffs? But as someone already said, the Conn Smythe already exists.

I guess we leave it as is and note that for this season at least, the best regular season performers were totally rendered useless in the playoffs.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Kucherov won the Lindsay the same season he did this, so

Kucherov had a 128 pts season and won the Art Ross with a 12 pts lead.

My point is Marchand doesn’t seem to be a well liked player and his history of questionable plays and antics doesn’t fit in a 1:30 min video. He likely won’t get a nomination as long as he stays in a pool of roughly equivalent players.

Reactions: Mike8

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Was Matthews too focused on the Lindsay, Hart, Richard & Selke regular season trophies instead of the playoffs?

:sarcasm:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
HF in most discussions: "The players know best. These are the guys who play against each other and play at the highest level, so they understand what's what. Lindsay >>>>>>>>>> Hart."

HF in this case: "LOL Crosby?! This is so stupid. There are a dozen more deserving players to be ahead of him in my, a random poster's, opinion. Do the voters even understand a thing about hockey?"

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I find it hilarious that people on this website get huffy about Crosby getting a 3rd place finish for a trophy that he'll likely be closer to 10th place than 1st place in.

Sounds like some of you have an axe to grind. Oh no, Crosby finished atop a comparable group of forwards that fall well below Matthews and a ton below McDavid. The travesty!

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I find it hilarious that people on this website get huffy about Crosby getting a 3rd place finish for a trophy that he'll likely be closer to 10th place than 1st place in.

Sounds like some of you have an axe to grind. Oh no, Crosby finished atop a comparable group of forwards that fall well below Matthews and a ton below McDavid. The travesty!
Crosby had no business being a finalist. he's only here because of his reputation and because all NHL players hate Marchand. Marner and Kane were also clearly better than Crosby this year and would've made better finalists than Crosby. Hell I would even put Draisaitl above Crosby too...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Crosby had no business being a finalist. he's only here because of his reputation and because all NHL players hate Marchand. Marner and Kane were also clearly better than Crosby this year and would've made better finalists than Crosby. Hell I would even put Draisaitl above Crosby too...

Boo hoo :laugh:

It's a 3rd place finish where he's going to end up closer to 10th place than 1st place. Literally who gives a f*** :laugh:

If I had to guess, McDavid will probably get between 3x and 4x as many votes as Crosby for the Lindsay. It literally doesn't matter. The difference between Crosby and Draisaitl/Marchand/Kane/ect is going to be smaller than the difference between Matthews and Crosby.

Reactions: Dominance

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Boo hoo :laugh:

It's a 3rd place finish where he's going to end up closer to 10th place than 1st place. Literally who gives a f*** :laugh:

If I had to guess, McDavid will probably get between 3x and 4x as many votes as Crosby for the Lindsay. It literally doesn't matter. The difference between Crosby and Draisaitl/Marchand/Kane/ect is going to be smaller than the difference between Matthews and Crosby.
Of course it matters! This is another thing that Crosby fans can use to artificially pump up his tires when they debate here on HF Boards. Do you really think Daver won't mention how many times Crosby has been nominated for the Lindsay and just happen to leave out the fact that he didn't deserve all his nominations?!

Reactions: BigBadBruins7708

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Of course it matters! This is another thing that Crosby fans can use to artificially pump up his tires when they debate here on HF Boards. Do you really think Daver won't mention how many times Crosby has been nominated for the Lindsay and just happen to leave out the fact that he didn't deserve all his nominations?!

You really need to start spending less time on this website if you think this is a reason for why awards matter :laugh:

Literally nothing said here matters.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Because people like to do trophy finish counting when evaluating players and Sid getting a top-3 destroys many of their narratives. This is in part why I dislike the trophy/trophy-finish counting. Does not even tell a good partial story. Like Sid will finish 3rd this year, probably top 5 in Hart too. Should it impact his legacy if he finished 10th (which would not be controversial)? No. But, look, look, when eliminating "same finishes" this guy has one more third place and this guy one more tenth place!!!!

Honestly, he is one of like 5-6 guys who could have gotten that 3rd spot. Everybody had the same top 2 likely in the same order.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I have the full list of Lindsay finalists going back to 2000 (the yearly finalists are incomplete prior to that).

Crosby now ties Ovechkin with six years as a finalist. On the (nearly-certain) assumption that he doesn't win, both Crosby and Ovechkin will have three Lindsay trophies, and three other years as a finalist. Fitting for the two best players of their era.

If McDavid wins (which I think is nearly certain), he'll get his third Lindsay trophy. In addition to tying Crosby and Ovechkin, that ties him with Jaromir Jagr and Guy LaFleur. Only Gretzky (5x) and Lemieux (4x) have more.

The players with multiple years as a finalist going back to 2000 - Crosby and Ovechkin (6x), McDavid (4x), Jagr and Malkin (3x), and then Benn, Iginla, Kane, Luongo, MacKinnon, Sakic, St. Louis, Stamkos, and Thornton (2x).

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I take MacKinnon, Barkov and Draisaitl any day over Crosby and to be honest I probably take them over Matthews also although I can see why he’s a finalist.

Doesn’t matter though McDavid is winning this in a landslide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad