TV: Ted Lasso (Apple TV+)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Lol I hated this episode, Ted and Rebecca's storylines were both pretty good, but the rest I feel flirted with jumping the shark into just becoming a Hallmark show ngl
ted-lasso-roy-kent.gif

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
they're jumping the shark by the level they're emasculating a professional sports team, like really a team pillow fight and a quest to see a windmill? the f***.... the colin story was decent enough ig
I'm just really not vibing with the writing for the team as a whole this season. But the week before was one of my favorites so there you go

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Another absolutely top notch episode... Honestly might have been the funniest of the entire series. Everything involving the team had me roaring multiple times.

Also, I knew it was going to happen right from episode 1 of this season but I couldn't believe how many people believe Nate was irredeemable, not necessarily on here but in general so many comments about the show that I had seen after season 2 and early into season 3 was about how nothing they could do would redeem Nate. I cant wait to see his redemption arc reach its conclusion.

Reactions: Jussi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Another absolutely top notch episode... Honestly might have been the funniest of the entire series. Everything involving the team had me roaring multiple times.

Also, I knew it was going to happen right from episode 1 of this season but I couldn't believe how many people believe Nate was irredeemable, not necessarily on here but in general so many comments about the show that I had seen after season 2 and early into season 3 was about how nothing they could do would redeem Nate. I cant wait to see his redemption arc reach its conclusion.
Agreed. The red string training made me laugh more and harder than anything in this show before. This was just an absolutely wonderful episode of television and after it was over, my immediate thought was that it just won the show another Emmy. Even touching on the footballers political actions, with shades of reality re: Marcus Rashford, Jason Sancho and Bukayo Saka and their treatment by "fans" when they fail. *chef's kiss*

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
The strings around the dicks thing was stupid and felt like it was ripped off from a 1980s Police Academy movie. They're back to painting Nate as a sympathetic character but I feel a little ripped off about that because a few episodes ago I was hoping to see him get shanked.

But the humanity of this series continues to rise far above my complaints.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I liked this past episode. I think all the characters are on interesting arcs. I can see what they meant about it being designed as a three season series. I was pleased to see Jamie step up as the leader of the new strategy. I’m excited for the rest of the ride, especially if it’s coming to an end.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Figures that Jack Grealish Jamie Tartt would have "password" as a password and think it was really spelt with one "s" and think it was clever to spell it two "s"s. :laugh:

The Nate redemption arc continues. He's becoming himself finally.

Last edited:

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I had hoped the last couple episodes would have the characters tied back together more, but this week's was another disjointed, disparate episode. Maybe they have Nate become a bit more self-aware of his own behaviour going forward, but his landing of the girl after being a creepy weirdo seems to run counter to the show's ethos. The only lesson he seems to have learned is that he misses what the culture was like at Richmond with Ted et al.

The Keeley story had a really good premise, and Juno Temple was terrific, but turning Jack from obsessed girlfriend to one-note heel was pretty weak writing. Women getting sex or slut shamed is still very much a thing, but the idea in 2023 any PR move would involve apologizing and regretting making the video seems pretty far-fetched.

One of the flaws of having all this disparate stories is that even with the extended run times, characters wind up pushed to the sidelines with little momentum in their own stories.

The show is still enjoyable, but there's something disjointed to the season that misses the flow and common themes and goals that made the first two seasons so great.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I had hoped the last couple episodes would have the characters tied back together more, but this week's was another disjointed, disparate episode. Maybe they have Nate become a bit more self-aware of his own behaviour going forward, but his landing of the girl after being a creepy weirdo seems to run counter to the show's ethos. The only lesson he seems to have learned is that he misses what the culture was like at Richmond with Ted et al.

The Keeley story had a really good premise, and Juno Temple was terrific, but turning Jack from obsessed girlfriend to one-note heel was pretty weak writing. Women getting sex or slut shamed is still very much a thing, but the idea in 2023 any PR move would involve apologizing and regretting making the video seems pretty far-fetched.

One of the flaws of having all this disparate stories is that even with the extended run times, characters wind up pushed to the sidelines with little momentum in their own stories.

The show is still enjoyable, but there's something disjointed to the season that misses the flow and common themes and goals that made the first two seasons so great.
I think it's very much in tune with the show. Nate grew a pair and despite his well -thought out clever box getting wrecked, asked the waitress out and succeeded. It's all in his growth and redemption arc. Next up, he'll praise or be nice to Ted in public and gets sacked by Rupert because of that.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
One thing that I really disliked about the most recent episode is that they had a chance for Keeley to really shine but they didn't use it. The whole series Keeley has been a PR guru. She literally runs a PR company. Yet they never once showed her PR savvy when she herself was desperately in need of some positive spin. Feels like a waste of all her talents they've been building up to

Reactions: Vaheh

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Yo I agree with everything you've said. It's like the show can't figure out how to keep the wholesome with just enough edge train rolling anymore. I think the Nate redemption arc is stupid also, f*** that guy I hope he doesn't get to come back, but I'm sure he will

At this point Rebecca and Roy are the only ones keeping me interested. Beard and Ted are fine too, but they are also just what they are at this point

Reactions: Zeppo

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
I am glad it is wrapping up after 3 seasons because it has lost a lot of steam, imo.

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Season 3 has been pretty brutal compared to the first two seasons. but to be expected. Some funny moments here and there was really enjoying the Tart and Roy training, but everything else feels disjointed.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Much better than last week's. As much as football has always been a story telling device than the actual heart of the show, by and large when the show strays too far from the sport it struggles to link the separate stories, characters, and ideas. The Roy stuff was fantastic, and the Beard stuff was the kind of perfect comedy moment that was entirely in-character and believable. I still find the Nate story to be the weak link to the season so far, his "redemption" arc resting on some odd premises (his behaviour yielding results with Jade and the idea he's only realizing now what a dick Rupert is) but I suppose there's still time for him to have a satisfying arc ending.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Much better than last week's. As much as football has always been a story telling device than the actual heart of the show, by and large when the show strays too far from the sport it struggles to link the separate stories, characters, and ideas. The Roy stuff was fantastic, and the Beard stuff was the kind of perfect comedy moment that was entirely in-character and believable. I still find the Nate story to be the weak link to the season so far, his "redemption" arc resting on some odd premises (his behaviour yielding results with Jade and the idea he's only realizing now what a dick Rupert is) but I suppose there's still time for him to have a satisfying arc ending.
I think Nate looked upon Rupert as a new father figure, who appreciated how good he was instead of constantly belittling or doubting him. Now he sees that's not who Rupert is. He understands that what he has and who he is, should be good enough for people. For Jade, it is.

Another great episode. I hope all pro sports team show this episode to their teams as a lesson or example on how to react or treat gay team members. They're your team mates and you should care about them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lt Dan

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
A true return to form after a few misses in a row this season. Really, really good episode and it shows how much better the show is when it keeps the scope smaller as opposed to jumping around to all these different storylines. Show me Ted's wisdom and its effect on the team and you'll show me a good episode

Reactions: Vaheh and Lt Dan

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
A true return to form after a few misses in a row this season. Really, really good episode and it shows how much better the show is when it keeps the scope smaller as opposed to jumping around to all these different storylines. Show me Ted's wisdom and its effect on the team and you'll show me a good episode
Yes and a lot of Beard!

Reactions: Primary Assist

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Magnificent episode. Funny, sad, relevant, touching, fascinating. I thought that previous episode would win this show more awards but this just topped it.

I may have teared up a few times, mostly after Rebecca's speech.

"Just because we own these teams, doesn't mean they belong to us."

Last edited:
Reactions: Vaheh and Lt Dan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad