TV: Ted Lasso (Apple TV+)

DynamiteKid

Aug 12, 2005
Stony Plain
Between this and Succession, I can’t recall two series ending with perfect final shows like this so close together.

Amazing week for television!

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Thought they nailed the series finale - definitely an emotional end to a fantastic show. I think I echo most people here when I say I was pretty satisfied with the end of each storyline.

I think Roy and Keely should have gotten back together. Roy is such a good character (as is Keely), and Keely balanced him really well as a person. Seemed like his situation was Keely or no one. I love Jamie but him and Keely didn’t really have much of a story other than a toxic relationship back in S1.

Also was a little surprised they didn’t really do anything about Ted and Michelle. This season the breadcrumbs were there for Michelle warming up to the idea of loving Ted again, along with more distance between Michelle and the Dr. By the end of the game he was miserably sitting far away from Michelle and Henry. They kind of leave it up in the air what happened.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
  • Wow
Reactions: Lt Dan

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Great finale tbh

It also shed light on why Rebecca's new boyfriend could afford to throw an expensive phone in Amsterdam's waters.

Between this and Succession, I can’t recall two series ending with perfect final shows like this so close together.

Amazing week for television!
I haven't watched Succession yet, but found out yesterday that it features the actress who played Rebecca's mom in Ted Lasso and she is good, so I'm definitely gonna watch it

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

Came across this, thought it was funny, some people take themselves way too seriously. I thought the series finale landed well.
He is trying to be Trent Crimm, The Independent!

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
My predictions for the finale

-At the end of the last episode, Ted put in his one game notice. Nate takes over head coaching going forward.
-Ted goes back to the US and takes a job on the KC Chiefs coaching staff and reunites with Michelle after she discovers that evil counselor guy deceived her. (possibly with some help from Dr Sharon
- Richmond wins the whole f***ing thing
- Roy sets up Jamie Tartt (dah dah dah dah dah dah) with this sister
- The guy from Amsterdam comes to the final Richmond match and him and Rebecca become a thing
-Roy proposes to Keeley
-Sam makes the Team Nigeria world cup team in a flash forward
-Bumbercatch wins a political office in Switzerland
- Jamie Tartt's Dad tells him that he loves him
-Beard becomes the first human on Mars

You got 2.5 out of 11

Not bad

Reactions: JimmyApples

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Great finale tbh

It also shed light on why Rebecca's new boyfriend could afford to throw an expensive phone in Amsterdam's waters.

I haven't watched Succession yet, but found out yesterday that it features the actress who played Rebecca's mom in Ted Lasso and she is good, so I'm definitely gonna watch it
I recognized her from Doctor Who and Downton Abbey.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Brendan Hunt did an AMA on Reddit today and answered the question about a potential season 4 or spinoff series or anything beyond these 3 seasons...

He said they truly dont know yet and its pretty much wide open. They're all going to take some time now to kind of get away from it all work on some other things for a little bit, etc. and then come back together down the road a little bit and see if/what they want to potentially do again. Said at this point its seriously wide open to where they could do a spin off, a season 4, or absolutely nothing at all.

Makes a lot of sense based on how they ended it. They left the door open in a few different ways to come back and do a couple different things, whether its a spinoff focused on an AFC Richmond Girls team, a season 4 involving the full cast again, a spinoff of Richmond basically just without Ted... But they also did a really good job tying up pretty much all of the main storylines of the first 3 seasons so that if they decide they're done, it still ended in a really great and clean way.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Least favorite things:
Thought the Jamie and Roy fight was contrived and only there to let Keely have her "I'm choosing me" moment. Could have been done better.
That the show is over. /sadface
I am pretty sure they are setting up a spin-off with that hanging Chad

It's Apple's biggest show by a HUGE margin and they want to ride that cash cow as long as they can

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The writer is a poor man's Trent Crimm
35943430b3fdd8644c86dcbe7e72e64266c75980.gif

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Brendan Hunt did an AMA on Reddit today and answered the question about a potential season 4 or spinoff series or anything beyond these 3 seasons...

He said they truly dont know yet and its pretty much wide open. They're all going to take some time now to kind of get away from it all work on some other things for a little bit, etc. and then come back together down the road a little bit and see if/what they want to potentially do again. Said at this point its seriously wide open to where they could do a spin off, a season 4, or absolutely nothing at all.

Makes a lot of sense based on how they ended it. They left the door open in a few different ways to come back and do a couple different things, whether its a spinoff focused on an AFC Richmond Girls team, a season 4 involving the full cast again, a spinoff of Richmond basically just without Ted... But they also did a really good job tying up pretty much all of the main storylines of the first 3 seasons so that if they decide they're done, it still ended in a really great and clean way.
Think the future of this show/world is more of a when, than an if. Only question remains how long, and with who?

They have such wonderful characters, but it would feel weird without Ted.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Think the future of this show/world is more of a when, than an if. Only question remains how long, and with who?

They have such wonderful characters, but it would feel weird without Ted.

Maybe. I certainly hope so, but we'll have to wait and see. A number of the actors were talking recently about this being the end for them and it was always only meant to be 3 seasons long.

I'd love to see more, but I don't want to see more if they can't bring back the majority of the cast and the writers. I wouldn't want to see a 4th season with a decrease in the quality because they're missing some key writers and/or actors for example.

But, money talks and the show has no doubt been a cash cow for Apple so I'd venture to guess if Apple wants more well almost certainly get more. Probably just a matter of who's involved and what we get.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Maybe. I certainly hope so, but we'll have to wait and see. A number of the actors were talking recently about this being the end for them and it was always only meant to be 3 seasons long.

I'd love to see more, but I don't want to see more if they can't bring back the majority of the cast and the writers. I wouldn't want to see a 4th season with a decrease in the quality because they're missing some key writers and/or actors for example.

But, money talks and the show has no doubt been a cash cow for Apple so I'd venture to guess if Apple wants more well almost certainly get more. Probably just a matter of who's involved and what we get.
It seems like every show gets a spin-off, new series, or continues even if it takes 10 years. I can’t see this being any different honestly

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think much like with Welcome to Wrexham, the team, coaching staff, executives, fans, area have become larger than the main character or in Wrexham's case, the owners. AFC Richmond and everything around it has become bigger than Ted Lasso. Whether it's the men's team's European adventure or the start of the women's team, there's plenty of stories to be told.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think much like with Welcome to Wrexham, the team, coaching staff, executives, fans, area have become larger than the main character or in Wrexham's case, the owners. AFC Richmond and everything around it has become bigger than Ted Lasso. Whether it's the men's team's European adventure or the start of the women's team, there's plenty of stories to be told.

I tend to agree. I think they could easily carry on with the show just without Ted in it anymore... The rest of the cast have all had so much great character development since the start that they could absolutely pull off a sort of ensemble cast show with no one star. I think my favorite idea I saw so far was basically a season 4 with everyone back except Ted, but Ted still video calls in for Diamond Dog talks as a cameo appearance a couple times throughout a season.

I think where they start to run into problems if characters like Jamie and Sam also end up done with the show and dont come back. And both Phil Dunster and Toheeb Jimoh have said recently that they were finished with those characters.

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
I am pretty sure they are setting up a spin-off with that hanging Chad

It's Apple's biggest show by a HUGE margin and they want to ride that cash cow as long as they can
My free trial of Apple TV+ ends in about two weeks, so this was good timing. I guess I need to poke around and decide if it is worth holding onto when not free.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
The finale, "So Long, Farewell", was the highest rated episode of the series. "Mom City", the penultimate episode of the series, was the highest highest rated episode.

Pretty fitting way to end such a great series.

Reactions: bobholly39

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Thought they nailed the series finale - definitely an emotional end to a fantastic show. I think I echo most people here when I say I was pretty satisfied with the end of each storyline.

I think Roy and Keely should have gotten back together. Roy is such a good character (as is Keely), and Keely balanced him really well as a person. Seemed like his situation was Keely or no one. I love Jamie but him and Keely didn’t really have much of a story other than a toxic relationship back in S1.

Also was a little surprised they didn’t really do anything about Ted and Michelle. This season the breadcrumbs were there for Michelle warming up to the idea of loving Ted again, along with more distance between Michelle and the Dr. By the end of the game he was miserably sitting far away from Michelle and Henry. They kind of leave it up in the air what happened.

They left Keely/Roy and Michelle/Ted open enough to interpretation that you can very easily assume a happy ending in both cases with both couples getting back together, but also not 100% conclusive so that if they do decide to come back and do a season 4, they have material left to cover. I think it's a fine line that they walked perfectly.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I tend to agree. I think they could easily carry on with the show just without Ted in it anymore... The rest of the cast have all had so much great character development since the start that they could absolutely pull off a sort of ensemble cast show with no one star. I think my favorite idea I saw so far was basically a season 4 with everyone back except Ted, but Ted still video calls in for Diamond Dog talks as a cameo appearance a couple times throughout a season.

I think where they start to run into problems if characters like Jamie and Sam also end up done with the show and dont come back. And both Phil Dunster and Toheeb Jimoh have said recently that they were finished with those characters.

The one big issue with a season 4 is this is such a perfect, happy show, and they did such a good job of helping every character grow through 3 seasons, and reach a happy conclusion, that there isn't a whole lot of story left to tell.

Richmond works well as an underdog - but as favorites, where all of their main characters have shown tremendous personal growth, it's a bit less of a compelling storyline.

I think it would be a mistake to bring the show back without Ted Lasso. I think he should 100% be involved, or it doesn't pack the same punch. I also think it wouldn't be hard to convince all the actors, including Jamie and Sam, to come back, despite what they may have said or not.

For what it's worth - I'd absolutely love a season 4 and more, and hope they bring it back. But I think they'll have to come up with some whole new ideas to create more drama, and relegate Richmond down to role of underdog again. Bringing Akufo in as the bad guy, maybe in partnership with Rupert, could work. He was hilarious, and fully evil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad