Calgary
Edmonton
Colorado

umm... what?

imo it's
1. Isles - Strome and Nino are gonna be sick in 4 years
2. Panthers
3. Oil
4. Sens - imo i think rundbald is good but not near the hype, but they made a killing at the 2011 draft
5. Leafs - not likely to be this high next season as their top 5 can all end up in the nhl next season

hskates21*

Ok there PaStromey. I think your getting a bit too far ahead of yourself here. First off, how does comparing goalies prove anything about depth? Second, how does your bias opinion that the Islanders depth is better than the Oilers depth prove the Oilers have bad depth?

I'd also like to know how you feel Poulin and Nilsson are far superior to Bunz/Roy/Perhonen?

Nilsson was a top 5 goalie in the Swedish elite league as a 21 year old and Patrick Roy says poulin is a beast and he played like it last year

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Chicago has insane depth. Crazy stockpiling and they should have an almost endless source of good cheap young talent for the future. However, Chicago has a significant lack of high end prospects when you compare their pools to the Islanders, Panthers, Sens etc. They're undoubtedly Top 10, but they aren't at the very top because other systems simply contain higher end prospects.

agreed, but those other teams don't have keith, seabrook, toews, kane, sharp and hossa caliber players signed for the next 4-6 years and we do....:nod::naughty::sarcasm::handclap:

if played correctly by Bowman the hawks could really contend for a good long while to come...

judge301

Aug 19, 2008
Brian Hudle and Adam French are doing a ranking of NHL teams based on their top 10 prospects and this is the order they have them in, only done up to 17 so far. For the most part I agree with their assessment. 1-NYI 2-Ott 3-Chi 4-Car 5-Nsh 6-Bos 7-Fla 8-Ana 9-L.A 10-Leafs 11-Col 12-Det 13-Edm 14-Clb 15-Wsh 16-Min 17-Buf There is an article for each team done so far, ranks each teams top 10 and gives a scouting report on each player and who their projected to turn out like. go to www.hockeybuzz.com and hit the bloggers tab and look for Brian Huddle and Adam French, once you have clicked on the name click on archive and the articles will be listed under August and mostly under July. They alternated teams. I think its a good read and a way to get familiar with other teams prospects, for instance I never heard of Adam for the Sabres now I'm curious to see how this kid develops plus tons more.

I dunno, considering the source of this 'ranking' I guess it makes sense. When I go through the player comparisons at the NHL level there are alot of really good teams in the future. Edmonton has a team coming that consists of (according to Brian Huddle) Datsyuk, M. Green, Boumeester, J. Neal, B. Liach, D. Hamius, T. Kennedy, and T. Holmstrom. Pretty good list at #13. Compared to say Chicago's comparables by the same guy at #3. Kovalev, Zajac, B. Campbell (2), J. Van Reimsdyk, Kronwall, Steve Ott, Pavelec, A. Brunette, and Versteeg. I know which players I'd rather have...;)

Disclaimer: I know these are just comparables and do not mean to pick on Chicago's fine group of prospects.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
1. Florida

2. New York (I)
3. Edmonton
4. Ottawa
5. Chicago

1. Florida - Markstrom, Gudbranson, Bjugstad, Howden, Petrovic, Robak
2. Avalanche - Landeskog, Hishon, Elliot, Barrie, Chouinard, Siemens, Pickard, Gaunce
3. Senators - Runblad, Cowen, Zibanejad
4. Islanders - Nino, Strome, De Haan, Hamonic
5. Oilers - RNH, Lander, Klefblom, Pitlick, Hartikainen, Maricin, Roy

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I don't consider Hamonic a prospect anymore(he played 62 games), that being said if you do count him the Islanders should be higher then 4

I don't know why did I put Hamonic, and I missed Poulin also, I apologize because of that.

Anyway they aren't better than Sens because of Runblad (best prospect in the world IMHO), they aren't better than Avs since Landeskog is more of a complete player than Nino is, Hishon (highest PPG average in OHL, and scoring leader during the playoffs) is at least as good as Strome or even better, Pickard and Poulin are a wash, and I'll take Elliot (and maybe even Barrie) before any of your D prospects. And they just aren't as good as Florida.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
2. Avalanche - Landeskog, Hishon, Elliot, Barrie, Chouinard, Siemens, Pickard, Gaunce

Avs cant be 2, they have no depth.

And look for comparison sake:

Elliott << Rundblad
Landescog >>> Butler
Hishon = Zibanejad
Barrie < Cowen
Pickard < Lehner
Chouinard = Wiercoich
Siemens >>> Borowiecki
Gaunce >>>>> Gryba

But Ottawa still has Filatov, Butler, Puempel, Noesen, Greening, Condra, Da Costa, Prince, Petersson....etc

What does the avs have??

Florida and Ottawa are the top 2, and then it goes Islanders and Oilers.

Look even your own board said this:

We'll stop after 10 and I'll make a discussion thread on that... This gets really dry after like... 6.

unless there's objections.

Last edited:

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL

you didn't even name Huberdeau or Grimaldi for Florida ;)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Hishon (highest PPG average in OHL, and scoring leader during the playoffs) is at least as good as Strome

Nothing against Hishon, but Strome is miles ahead of him in terms of NHL potential. It should be pointed out Hishon is a late Oct 91 birthday so he is almost 2 years older then Strome(Jul 93), so comparing their seasons this year probably not the best way to evaluate them against eachother

I'll take Elliot (and maybe even Barrie) before any of your D prospects.

Elliot seems to get way overated because he put up alot of points, thinking he will be a shoe in to replicate that in the NHL. The Islanders drafted a guy in the 5th round this year who is an inch shorter, year younger who put up the exact same amount of points in 7 less games. I am not saying that Kitchon is better or at the same level as Elliot but it just goes to show that scoring in junior is all relative. I much rather have De Haan then Elliot

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Avs cant be 2, they have no depth.

And look for comparison sake:

Elliott <<< Rundblad
Landescog >>> Butler
Hishon < Zibanejad
Barrie < Cowen
Pickard < Lehner
Chouinard = Wiercoich
Siemens >>> Borowiecki
Gaunce >>>>> Gryba

But Ottawa still has Filatov, Butler, Puempel, Noesen, Greening, Condra, Da Costa, Prince, Petersson....etc

What does the avs have??

Florida and Ottawa are the top 2, and then it goes Islanders and Oilers.

Look even your own board said this:

Runblad isn't that much better than Elliot, Barrie is better than Cowen, Lehner is more comparable to Desjardins than to Pickard, Hishon and Mika are a wash (if you need a playmaking center with great hands that isn't afraid to go to dirty areas you take Hishon, if you want a PWF that can dominate you take Mika - FYI I simply love Zibanejad and the way he plays, but Hishon is a better fit with Dutchy in the long run IMHO). Avs don't have top-6 or top-4 potential after that (except maybe Nermark - he was great at Ivan Hlinka last year, and Stoa), but they have a lot of depth players that can make the NHL like Malone, Walker, Mercier, Young, Olver, Stoa (I still have hopes for him, if Stew managed to figure it out why couldn't Stoa), Holos, and they have another two good goalie prospects in Aittokallio, and Patterson.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Nothing against Hishon, but Strome is miles ahead of him in terms of NHL potential. It should be pointed out Hishon is a late Oct 91 birthday so he is almost 2 years older then Strome(Jul 93), so comparing their seasons this year probably not the best way to evaluate them against eachother

Hishon has some grit to his game, and he reminds me of Briere and the way he plays. I agree that he's infront of Strome because of his age to a certain degree, but I still like him better.

Elliot seems to get way overated because he put up alot of points, thinking he will be a shoe in to replicate that in the NHL. The Islanders drafted a guy in the 5th round this year who is an inch shorter, year younger who put up the exact same amount of points in 7 less games. I am not saying that Kitchon is better or at the same level as Elliot but it just goes to show that scoring in junior is all relative. I much rather have De Haan then Elliot

Mr E. J. McGuire said that Elliot reminds him of T. Kaberle, that's enough for me.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
As an Oilers fan I have no problem admitting that both the Florida Panthers and Ottawa Senators have better prospect pools than the Edmonton Oilers. Having said that, Edmonton has Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Magnus Paajarvi, etc. all playing for the big club. Erik Karlsson is the only legit stud under 25 playing for Ottawa while Florida has Dmitry Kulikov.

Huberdeau < RNH > Runblad
------------------------------------
Gudbranson > Klefbom < Zibanejad
Markstrom > Petry < Lehner
Petrovic < Marincin < Cowen
Howden = Hamilton = Puempel
Bjugstad > Lander < Noesen

Something like that anyways. I think we have the best prospect and a bunch of great players but I we just don't simply have enough first round selections still developing. Rather, they are now all in the NHL. I would still take our prospects just because we have the best player though.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Mr E. J. McGuire said that Elliot reminds him of T. Kaberle, that's enough for me.

Well Elliot must have pissed off somebody at Hockey Canada because I don't even think he was invited to any World Jr mini camps. In terms of Colorado top prospects on defense I would say Duncan Siemens is #1. I personally think Colorado made a huge mistake passing over Murphy(thinking they have a similar player(s) in Elliot and Barrie)

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Well Elliot must have pissed off somebody at Hockey Canada because I don't even think he was invited to any World Jr mini camps. In terms of Colorado top prospects on defense I would say Duncan Siemens is #1. I personally think Colorado made a huge mistake passing over Murphy(thinking they have a similar player(s) in Elliot and Barrie)

Just as Pickard did. Siemens isn't #1, not even close, he needs to prove what he can do without Elliot in dub, and how is a guy like Murphy who's a one-dimensional small D-man similar to Elliot? Elliot has the potential to be an well rounded D-man, and that's something you can't say about Murphy. You've also forgot to add Chouinard to Elliot and Barrie.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
As an Oilers fan I have no problem admitting that both the Florida Panthers and Ottawa Senators have better prospect pools than the Edmonton Oilers. Having said that, Edmonton has Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Magnus Paajarvi, etc. all playing for the big club. Erik Karlsson is the only legit stud under 25 playing for Ottawa while Florida has Dmitry Kulikov.

Huberdeau < RNH > Runblad
------------------------------------
Gudbranson > Klefbom < Zibanejad
Markstrom > Petry < Lehner
Petrovic < Marincin < Cowen
Howden = Hamilton = Puempel
Bjugstad > Lander < Noesen

Something like that anyways. I think we have the best prospect and a bunch of great players but I we just don't simply have enough first round selections still developing. Rather, they are now all in the NHL. I would still take our prospects just because we have the best player though.

RNH isn't better than Runblad.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
and how is a guy like Murphy who's a one-dimensional small D-man similar to Elliot

Both of them are offensively talented but I think Murphy has the potential if put in the right situation to break 70 points in 5-7 years. I just think if Colorado's decision not to take him was they already had offensive guys in the system, they made a mistake.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Both of them are offensively talented but I think Murphy has the potential if put in the right situation to break 70 points in 5-7 years. I just think if Colorado's decision not to take him was they already had offensive guys in the system, they made a mistake.

I'd rather have Siemens, since he's just the type of player that Avs needed, a big bruising D-man that has great foot speed.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Runblad isn't that much better than Elliot, Barrie is better than Cowen, Lehner is more comparable to Desjardins than to Pickard, Hishon and Mika are a wash (if you need a playmaking center with great hands that isn't afraid to go to dirty areas you take Hishon, if you want a PWF that can dominate you take Mika - FYI I simply love Zibanejad and the way he plays, but Hishon is a better fit with Dutchy in the long run IMHO). Avs don't have top-6 or top-4 potential after that (except maybe Nermark - he was great at Ivan Hlinka last year, and Stoa), but they have a lot of depth players that can make the NHL like Malone, Walker, Mercier, Young, Olver, Stoa (I still have hopes for him, if Stew managed to figure it out why couldn't Stoa), Holos, and they have another two good goalie prospects in Aittokallio, and Patterson.

I actually do agree with you in most of this post. But I still dont understand how Colorado can be second overall if after your six best prospect. After that point you dont have any significant prospects that can be top line players.

After six sens still have Butler, Puempel, Noesen, Wiercioch, Da Costa, Prince, Petersson, and Stone...plus more guys that could be something

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I'd rather have Siemens, since he's just the type of player that Avs needed, a big bruising D-man that has great foot speed.

I am of the belief you take BPA, this isn't the NFL where guys you draft will be in your lineup next year making an impact(in most instances), you are drafting for 3-5 years from now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad