Teams with the best prospect pools

bobbyt911

Brian Hudle and Adam French are doing a ranking of NHL teams based on their top 10 prospects and this is the order they have them in, only done up to 17 so far. For the most part I agree with their assessment. 1-NYI 2-Ott 3-Chi 4-Car 5-Nsh 6-Bos 7-Fla 8-Ana 9-L.A 10-Leafs 11-Col 12-Det 13-Edm 14-Clb 15-Wsh 16-Min 17-Buf There is an article for each team done so far, ranks each teams top 10 and gives a scouting report on each player and who their projected to turn out like. go to www.hockeybuzz.com and hit the bloggers tab and look for Brian Huddle and Adam French, once you have clicked on the name click on archive and the articles will be listed under August and mostly under July. They alternated teams. I think its a good read and a way to get familiar with other teams prospects, for instance I never heard of Adam for the Sabres now I'm curious to see how this kid develops plus tons more.

I have a question to pose to posters, in the Leaf rankings he has Gardner's projection as J.BO and in the EDM rankings he has Martin Marincin's projection as J.BO CGY version and I'm wondering whats the difference?

WeberStreit

Jan 31, 2008
I'd also say the Islanders are in the top 3:

1. Nino Niederreiter (F) - Played for Portland Winterhawks (WHL) - Selected 5th Overall, 2010 NHL Entry Draft
2. Ryan Strome (F) - Played for Niagara IceDogs (OHL) - Selected 5th Overall, 2011 NHL Entry Draft
3. Calvin de Haan (D) - Played for Oshawa Generals (OHL) - Selected 12th Overall, 2009 NHL Entry Draft
4. Kevin Poulin (G) - Played for Bridgeport Sound Tigers (AHL) - Selected 126th Overall, 2008 NHL Entry Draft
5. Anders Nilsson (G) - Played for Lulea (SEL) - Selected 62nd Overall, 2009 NHL Entry Draft
6. Casey Cizikas (F) - Played for Mississauga St. Michaels Majors (OHL) - Selected 92nd Overall, 2009 NHL Entry Draft
7. Kirill Kabanov (F) - Played for Lewiston MAINEiacs (QMJHL) - Selected 65th Overall, 2010 NHL Entry Draft
8. Matt Donovan (D) - Played for University of Denver Pioneers (WCHA) - Selected 96th Overall, 2008 NHL Entry Draft
9. Kirill Petrov (F) - Played for Yugra Khanty-Mansiysk (KHL) - Selected 73rd Overall, 2008 NHL Entry Draft
10. Anders Lee (F) - Played for Notre Dame Fighting Irish (CCHA) - Selected 152nd Overall, 2009 NHL Entry Draft

(NY Islanders prospect poll)

IslesBeBack*

I'd also say the Islanders are in the top 3:

1. Nino Niederreiter (F) - Played for Portland Winterhawks (WHL) - Selected 5th Overall, 2010 NHL Entry Draft
2. Ryan Strome (F) - Played for Niagara IceDogs (OHL) - Selected 5th Overall, 2011 NHL Entry Draft
3. Calvin de Haan (D) - Played for Oshawa Generals (OHL) - Selected 12th Overall, 2009 NHL Entry Draft
4. Kevin Poulin (G) - Played for Bridgeport Sound Tigers (AHL) - Selected 126th Overall, 2008 NHL Entry Draft
5. Anders Nilsson (G) - Played for Lulea (SEL) - Selected 62nd Overall, 2009 NHL Entry Draft
6. Casey Cizikas (F) - Played for Mississauga St. Michaels Majors (OHL) - Selected 92nd Overall, 2009 NHL Entry Draft
7. Kirill Kabanov (F) - Played for Lewiston MAINEiacs (QMJHL) - Selected 65th Overall, 2010 NHL Entry Draft
8. Matt Donovan (D) - Played for University of Denver Pioneers (WCHA) - Selected 96th Overall, 2008 NHL Entry Draft
9. Kirill Petrov (F) - Played for Yugra Khanty-Mansiysk (KHL) - Selected 73rd Overall, 2008 NHL Entry Draft
10. Anders Lee (F) - Played for Notre Dame Fighting Irish (CCHA) - Selected 152nd Overall, 2009 NHL Entry Draft

(NY Islanders prospect poll)

I forgot about Nillson! He was a TREAT to watch during the prospect game. He is going to be a SICK starting goaltender. No doubt about it. Islanders really made a killing with their prospects, a number of these guys could return some quality picks/packags.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
If Dallas offered their goalie prospects for ours - i'd LOL (Markstrom, Brittain, Cheverie, Plante and Foster)

We have so many Tallon basically gave away Salak for nothing. Not trying to slight the Stars young goalies - but I'd take ours over those 3.

You do that, you may have more goalies in your system but our goalie prospects are better IMO

Markstrom has the edge over Campbell
But Bachman and Beskorowany are better than the others, the two already excelled in every level they played in INCLUDING the AHL. They have the edge right now which is why the Stars goalie prospects are better IMO, i am sure others feel the same way.

Afro Thunder*

Islanders:

Strome
Neidereitter
DeeHan
Poulin
Anders Lee

Is just filthy for top 5. You also have Koskinen who really was supposed to be the goalie of the future until the freak of nature Poulin came into the story.

Rundblad (50 point dman in the SEL)
Lehner (Already an AHL MVP and Cup winner)
Cowen
Filatov
Zibadass
Puempel
Stone
Noesen
Silverberg

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I may sound like a homer, but St. Louis is not in the #18-30 range of prospect pools. And Chicago #3?

Chicago has one of the best prospect pools in the NHL, just because they don't get much respect on this board doesn't mean their pool is poor, quite the opposite in fact.

The past two years Chicago has had 9 1st/2nd round picks. Those players include Mark McNeill, Kevin Hayes, Phillip Danault, Justin Holl, Kent Simpson, Stephen Johns, Adam Clendening, Brandon Saad and Ludvig Rensfeldt.

Add those prospects to the already promising group of Dylan Olsen(1/28/'09), Nick Leddy(1/16/'09), Jeremy Morin(2/45/'09), Marcus Kruger(5/149/'09), Kyle Beach(1/11/'08), Brandon Pirri(2/59/'09), Alexander Salak, Jimmy Hayes(2/60/'08), Shawn Lalonde(3/68/'08) and what you get is a top prospect pool in the NHL.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Wow, I like the Canes respect from them, but his analysis and player comparisons are way off on a lot of guys. It's like he drew random names in a hat to come up with the player comparisons.

Radim Vrbata for Dalpe was the best one of the bunch. Safe to say that was my biggest "what is this, I don't even" type reaction in a while.

And yeah, Canes have crazy depth when you consider the guy that was our backup last year is probably going to just barely crack our top 20 prospects on the board vote. There are teams out there with more top end guys for sure, though part of it is graduating some of the guys we have over the past few years (Sutter, Skinner, McBain)

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
You do that, you may have more goalies in your system but our goalie prospects are better IMO

Markstrom has the edge over Campbell
But Bachman and Beskorowany are better than the others, the two already excelled in every level they played in INCLUDING the AHL. They have the edge right now which is why the Stars goalie prospects are better IMO, i am sure others feel the same way.

The Markstrom over Campbell thing is pretty significant - and you write it off as if it isn't.

Like I said - not trying to slight your guys - but I'd rather have Markstrom and Brittain, who was a ridiculous standout with Denver than a struggling Campbell with those two guys. Plante has had success in the AHL too, but likely has the least upside of our guys.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
That's the order I would put them in too.

Seriously? I don't know what's with some of you guys but Florida and Ottawa are definitely top 2. That's no offense to Isles, Oilers, Kings, Leafs, etc. but the Panthers and Sens pools have incredible top end talent at all positions and have no weaknesses, in a class of their own.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Sens Prospect Rankings:

1. David Rundblad D (61.50%) 6.02-189 20yo
2. Jared Cowen D (56.16%) 6.05-220 20yo
3. Robin Lehner G (71.52%) 6.03-220 20yo
4. Mika Zibanejad C (42.70%) 6.02-192 18yo
5. Nikita Filatov LW (54.35%) 6.00-190 21yo
6. Jakob Silfverberg LW (78.29%) 6.01-187 20yo

7. Bobby Butler RW (47.54%) 6.00-180 24yo
8. Matthew Puempel LW (35.82%) 6.00-190 18yo
9. Stefan Noesen RW (52.50%) 6.01-193 18yo
10. Colin Greening LW (N/A) 6.03-211 25yo
11. Erik Condra RW (N/A) 6.00-188 24yo
12. Patrick Wiercioch D (52.76%) 6.04-192 20yo
13. Stephane Da Costa C (61.62%) 5.11-180 22yo
14. Shane Prince LW (29.93%) 5.11-185 18yo
15. Andre Petersson LW (50.50%) 5.09-169 20yo
16. Mark Borowiecki D (31.36%) 6.01-198 22yo
17. Mark Stone RW (35.42%) 6.03-200 19yo

18. Mike Hoffman C (47.47%) 5.11-175 21yo
19. Eric Gryba D (33.04%) 6.03-214 23yo
20. Jim O'Brien C (49.09%) 6.02-200 22yo
21. Derek Grant C (38.00%) 6.03-190 21yo
22. Marcus Sorensen RW (41.58%) 5.11-161 19yo
23. Jean-Gabriel Pageau C (59.55%) 5.09-164 18yo

24. Louie Caporusso C (33.00%) 5.10-188 22yo
25. Ben Blood D USA (52.81%) 6.3-212 22yo
26. Kaspars Daugavins LW LV (47.19%) 6.0-205 23yo
27. Fredrik Claesson D SWE (30.59%) 6.00-198 18yo
28. Chris Wideman D USA (32.10%) 5.10-174 21yo
29. Jakub Culek CZE (37.35%) 6.04-195 19yo

bold are my personal list of players to watch

Exactly, Panthers and Sens have the best pools. No other teams can touch these two.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Just cause we may be irrelevant to most of NHL doesn't mean you have to be ignorant about our prospects, there are some impressive names there. MG, East- and West prospects of the year, Brodin is a question mark in terms of where his ceiling is, but should be pretty sure fire NHL dman some day, Phillips and Lucia could hit their floor next year or reach their potential in 4-5 years or so. Its a top 10-15 pool I'd say even higher without the fear of getting homer tagged.

There are some very solid names in the top 10 of the Wild, and Granlund, Coyle, and Hackett especially are great great prospects at their positions. But look at all the teams being mentioned here for the top 5. They all have the same thing, if not an even more impressive top 10. The Wild really lack the depth from 10-20. They are possibly top 10, but not top 5.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
There are some very solid names in the top 10 of the Wild, and Granlund, Coyle, and Hackett especially are great great prospects at their positions. But look at all the teams being mentioned here for the top 5. They all have the same thing, if not an even more impressive top 10. The Wild really lack the depth from 10-20. They are possibly top 10, but not top 5.

I'd say our drop off is after #8 at the moment, where guys like Gillies, Spurgeon, Lucia, Cuma and Haula should place. Top 15 sounds reasonable to me.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I know many wouldn't but I'd argue this point. Roy won the starting job for Team Canada WJHC team last year, Bunz looks to have a good shot at one of the top two spots this year. Then there are the two Finns we drafted whom both have solid resumes. I'm not saying this is an uber elite group but I think we are as good off as most teams at this position.

Well, he really lost the starting job. Visentin became the starter in all the important games for all intensive purposes. He really isn't anything that special, he has failed massively to live up to the big hype of his draft year. I think Bunz, despite being a couple years younger, has better potential than him. But Bunz would not be in very many top 10 goalie lists right now. Visentin will be the starter for Canada again in all likelihood, Bunz might be the backup. Perhonen seems impressive for his age, but he has just been drafted. While he has good potential, he wouldn't crack the top 15 on anyone's goalie list who was sane. The premise that the Oilers lack a real top goalie prospect is not wrong. They might have good depth, but they don't really have an elite group. There at least 5-7 teams who without doubt have a better group of goalies.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Seriously? I don't know what's with some of you guys but Florida and Ottawa are definitely top 2. That's no offense to Isles, Oilers, Kings, Leafs, etc. but the Panthers and Sens pools have incredible top end talent at all positions and have no weaknesses, in a class of their own.

To me Florida is 1st, with the Isles and Sens interchangeable depending on who you ask at 2 and 3. Then the rest, but I can see arguments for the Isles in there for sure.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
To me Florida is 1st, with the Isles and Sens interchangeable depending on who you ask at 2 and 3. Then the rest, but I can see arguments for the Isles in there for sure.

Their forward prospects are wicked, but their defense, while solid, is still inferior to that of the Panthers and Sens IMO. Those two teams also clearly have better goaltending. Again, the Isles are solid with Poulin, who I'd place in the top 10 of goalie prospects, Nilsson, and Koskinen. But Markstrom and Lehner are probably the two best goalie prospects out there right now. Florida also has Brittain who for my money was the best rookie goalie in the NCAA last season. He had the 2nd best SV% in the WCHA last season in a very competitive conference, maybe the best conference in the NCAA. And he was 18 years old for basically the whole season. Isles are close and definitely top 5, but like I said the Panthers and Sens are just more well rounded.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Chicago has one of the best prospect pools in the NHL, just because they don't get much respect on this board doesn't mean their pool is poor, quite the opposite in fact.

The past two years Chicago has had 9 1st/2nd round picks. Those players include Mark McNeill, Kevin Hayes, Phillip Danault, Justin Holl, Kent Simpson, Stephen Johns, Adam Clendening, Brandon Saad and Ludvig Rensfeldt.

Add those prospects to the already promising group of Dylan Olsen(1/28/'09), Nick Leddy(1/16/'09), Jeremy Morin(2/45/'09), Marcus Kruger(5/149/'09), Kyle Beach(1/11/'08), Brandon Pirri(2/59/'09), Alexander Salak, Jimmy Hayes(2/60/'08), Shawn Lalonde(3/68/'08) and what you get is a top prospect pool in the NHL.

Chicago has insane depth. Crazy stockpiling and they should have an almost endless source of good cheap young talent for the future. However, Chicago has a significant lack of high end prospects when you compare their pools to the Islanders, Panthers, Sens etc. They're undoubtedly Top 10, but they aren't at the very top because other systems simply contain higher end prospects.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Chicago has insane depth. Crazy stockpiling and they should have an almost endless source of good cheap young talent for the future. However, Chicago has a significant lack of high end prospects when you compare their pools to the Islanders, Panthers, Sens etc. They're undoubtedly Top 10, but they aren't at the very top because other systems simply contain higher end prospects.

Oh I agree. We're certainly not in the same class as NYI, Florida and Ottawa in terms of high-end talent, but I think top 5 for Chicago is definately not surprising.

Outside of RNH, I think we actually have a better prospect pool than Edmonton, and if not better, certainly it's very close.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Having a the best ranked player in the world in your prospect pool doesn't change the ranking of it?

Oh. Okay.

:help:

1 Player does not a prospect pool make
If he's the first overall pick, then yes he does.

I never said it wouldn't change a ranking, I argued that it doesn't make an entire prospect pool. Which is true and which is why the Oilers wouldn't be in the top 3 with Florida and the Isles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad