Teams with multiple 100-point scorers that missed the playoffs

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Sad story for the 1990 Penguins. They collapsed down the stretch after Lemieux was injured (he came back for the last game of the season). In their last 13 games they had 1 win, 9 losses and 3 ties - and still only missed the playoffs by one point. They were 6th in the conference as late as March 4th, 1990.

I understand them struggling a bit with Lemieux out, but the strange thing for me is that the Penguins were never above .500 during the season. Even with Lemieux and even with that insane 46 game point scoring streak of his. They were 31-31-5 on March 4th. That easily gets them into the playoffs if they just stay normal the rest of the year. That team just seemed too good to struggle to get to .500 all year. Granted this is before Stevens and Recchi really burst out and without Trottier and Francis and Murphy but You had a prime Lemieux, and then Coffey, a young Brown, Quinn, Stevens and Recchi. Still a playoff team you would think. But their best goalie had a GAA of 4.17, so yeah, pretty hard to overcome that.

Wasn't that when they needed to win the final game of the regular season but lost it in overtime or something?

Correct...............vs. Buffalo they lost in overtime. Even a tie gets them into the playoffs.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Yeah, they suck. They have major problems. I'm not sure how they can turn things around in a hurry. Too much dead weight on that roster and not enough good depth or top six talent. The defense isn't good enough. The goaltending is a question mark as well.

I wanted them to at least hang on long enough for their game tomorrow against COL to mean something... but eh.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
McDavid and Draisitl are always a threat when they are on the ice. I mean seriously.

But whenever they are off the ice, it is like the Oilers are a different team when they are off the ice.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
If they trade one for a terrible return before the session ends they could avoid that distinction...

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Pens would go on to win the Stanley Cup the following year though. They won back to back in 1991 and 1992 after missing the playoffs in 1990.

The Nordiques were terrible defensively and crashed hard after trading Dale Hunter to Washington prior to the 88 season. It was the beginning of the end of that organization. They really sucked after that and got 3 consecutive #1 draft choices (only other team to do that? Edmonton).

Reactions: Sentinel

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
A lot of teams you can imagine them still being good if you took away the two best players. Lightning would still be a playoff threat, Toronto would still be decent, Calgary would grind it out and possibly make the playoffs. Without McDavid and Draisatl I don't know if the Oilers would break 40 points on the season.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Pens would go on to win the Stanley Cup the following year though. They won back to back in 1991 and 1992 after missing the playoffs in 1990.

The Nordiques were terrible defensively and crashed hard after trading Dale Hunter to Washington prior to the 88 season. It was the beginning of the end of that organization. They really sucked after that and got 3 consecutive #1 draft choices (only other team to do that? Edmonton).
The Pens weren't stuck at the cap either back in the day lol.

Reactions: sharkhawk

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It is insane watching them at this point, they just pass it back and forth to each other as if they are the only guys on the ice. I wonder if they are bored at this point?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad