Teams with multiple 100-point scorers that missed the playoffs

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Penguins went then on to win 2 cups back to back. Not the worst team to be compared to.

Just need to draft a Jagr #5 OA in this draft.
Yep, if they want a Hart trophy winning winger the draft is basically the only way to go. Nobody is going to trade away pieces like that for nothing less than a king's ransom.

Reactions: winnipegger

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Chia was sent to the Oilers to destroy the team slowly.

They were garbage before him and are still bad after him. Trying to blame it all on Chia when all the other previous failures just get promoted into being the boss of whoever is GM is dumb. Not picking on you but I read this a lot.

Sounds like a scape goat situation. He has a president and owner there to approve everything he does. You can't say he did it all by himself, there is an entire staff to blame and most are still there.

Reactions: 63 others

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
There is not a single 100 point player who is useless. Think about what you're saying. Dude might score 50 goals/100+ points and you're saying he's useless, lol. These posts are some of the most nonsensical posts I've seen repeatedly on HFBoards. I would say it's a bad April Fool's joke, but it's actually worse than that.
He's got 13 points without McDavid this season, and scores at a third line rate while getting outshot and outscored massively. If he's not playing with McDavid he's useless.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
they have the best player in the league so they shouldn't be this bad for too much longer... at least that's what logic would tell you

debil

Sep 23, 2006
actually that's not bad company. they win it all shortly after.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
To think they have had all these first overall picks. They should be the one dominating the league right now.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
McDavid has played with either Draisaitl or RNH this entire season. The reason the Oilers have no depth scoring is because their best players are always playing together. Those 3 can at all center their own lines, yet the team no longer tries it because it would impact 97's point totals.
When they split the centers no one scores. Tried it many, many times.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
He's got 13 points without McDavid this season, and scores at a third line rate while getting outshot and outscored massively. If he's not playing with McDavid he's useless.
His linemates are Tobias 'zero-goals' Reider, and Milan 'the Worst NHL'er in the league' Lucic.

Kucherov and Crosby would produce like 3rd liners if those were their 2 linemates.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
First pair of 40 goal scorers to miss since Lindros and Recchi in 92-93 as well I believe.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
actually that's not bad company. they win it all shortly after.

As noted the other team to do it, the 1987-88 Norquides went on to pick first overall the next three seasons, and didn't make the playoffs until 1993.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
McDavid is not happy, he may want out before his contract is up...next season may be the nail in the coffin if Oilers don't make it.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Career years from Mcdavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Chaisson and Nurse yet this team is still at the bottom. Absolutely pathetic what Chia did to this team.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
As soon as the Larsson-Hall trade evens out, they'll be fine. :sarcasm:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Just wait until next Tuesday!!

Attachments

• sim.png
    sim.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 6

Bronz

Oct 21, 2013
While Chiarelli made some god awful trades (Hall for Larsson, 3 picks for Reinhart who was left exposed, Eberle for nothing) and signings (Lucic, Russell), this team should not be as bad as they are.

Realistically moving forward they have this is a core:

x-McDavid-x
x-Draisaitl-x
x-Nugent-Hopkins-x
That's the best center core in the entire NHL

Let's say Puljujärvi takes a step, Yamamotto plays regularly and sign Wayne Simmonds to a cheap 1 year as he looks to rebound his value playing next to McDavid.

x-McDavid-Simmonds
x-Draisaitl-Puljujärvi
x-Nugent-Hopkins-Yamamotto

Add Lucic who's not going nowhere, Kassian and maybe Chiasson if he's resigned and that's should on paper be a very respectable top 9

Chiasson-McDavid-Simmonds
Kassian-Draisaitl-Puljujärvi
Lucic-Nugent-Hopkins-Yamamotto

Evan Bouchard gets called up and the defence while still lacking a true number one should in paper be respectable as well.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Sekera-Russell

And while Koskinen should never have been signed to that contract, Oilers tailspin aside he really is an average NHL goaltender which is good enough to make the playoffs at the very least.

Chiasson-McDavid-Simmonds
Kassian-Draisaitl-Puljujärvi
Lucic-Nugent-Hopkins-Yamamotto

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Sekera-Russell

Koskinen
Stolarz

That should on paper be a contending team...not favorite..but contending.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
I rememeber oilers losing to hawks 7-1 in late 2014 and the team got boooed out of the arena and I was like wow they hit rock bottom. Then they won mcdavid and it seemed like they might turn a corner to the right direction.

I am abosuelty amazed that after winning a player like Mcdavid that not only have they not gone the right direction but they are actually even more rock bottom then they were when that game I just mentions happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad