Speculation: Teams calling the Jets about Trouba

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree, here, this is likely overblown. I expect Trouba's agent asked high, Chevy offered low. But high and low likely need to be defined and term is subject to both parties opinions. But high is likely a little above the Hamilton contract and low is probably Maata. More term will cost more money and to get a full 8 years will likely involve money above the Hamilton deal. Otherwise I'd expect a six year deal probably right around 5.5.

As for the Big Show :shakehead Can't listen anymore.

I don't want to start a whole debate all over again but I've got to ask why would Trouba get even so much as 1 nickel more than Rielly?

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
What If the rumours are true and trouba doesn't actually want to be here. A young player on a young team with a bright future who doesn't want to be here? [mod] That's a problem and that's a guy I don't want on my team.

Not saying that they are true just playing devil's advocate and wondering what people think if they are true and he doesn't want to be here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What If the rumours are true and trouba doesn't actually want to be here. A young player on a young team with a bright future who doesn't want to be here? [mod] That's a problem and that's a guy I don't want on my team.

Not saying that they are true just playing devil's advocate and wondering what people think if they are true and he doesn't want to be here.

Why would you want to do that? There is no basis for it. You just add to the smoke.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Because... it's a legit option. He doesn't want to be here. Who cares if I add smoke.... we aren't the ones running the Jets or making trades. It's a discussion forum. Perhaps some of you should remember that. This Is a fan forum. Nothing more nothing less.
It's a valid concern and should be part of the discussion. Like I care what fans on the main boards are offering. That's irrelevant. We all know darn well that if Chevy does trade trouba.... it's gonna take something ridiculous to get him.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Because... it's a legit option. He doesn't want to be here. Who cares if I add smoke.... we aren't the ones running the Jets or making trades. It's a discussion forum. Perhaps some of you should remember that. This Is a fan forum. Nothing more nothing less.
It's a valid concern and should be part of the discussion. Like I care what fans on the main boards are offering. That's irrelevant. We all know darn well that if Chevy does trade trouba.... it's gonna take something ridiculous to get him.

Discussions matter: http://www.todaysslapshot.com/carol...oots-of-ridiculous-justin-faulk-trade-rumors/

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
What If the rumours are true and trouba doesn't actually want to be here. A young player on a young team with a bright future who doesn't want to be here? That's interesting to say the least and tells me that if the rumours are true about Trouba... then it basically means off ice activities are more important to Trouba than winning is. That's a problem and that's a guy I don't want on my team.

I don't know where you are getting this from...

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Seabrook's deal has more guaranteed $$ for him and is much, much riskier for the Hawks.
Buff's deal--$38M over 5 years--is much less risky for the Jets, but is not exactly a hardship for Buff. By the time Buff is 36 he will have earned $75 million in his NHL career. The potential lost earning opportunity from age 36-40 will not make a whit of difference in his life and he will hopefully retire with his game close to its peak, not as a 40-year old shadow of his former self.
Life is short for all of us, shorter for pro athletes and Buff made the right choice for himself and the team. I admire that and hope I would do the same in his position.

Back to Trouba. My sense is that, for a variety of reasons, Trouba and his agent want to maximize his earning potential and the team comes second. I certainly do not think he is a cancer or a narcissist like you-know-who. I just think money comes before team in this negotiation.
With Ladd, winning now (and to a lesser degree money) came before team in his negotiations. Who'd have guessed?
With Buff, team, city and lifestyle were as, or more important than term.
With Scheifele, like Buff, loyalty to team will be paramount, I suspect.
Everyone is different.

I think you're bang on.

Agents might be able to grind pennies on your behalf.

Trouba can make more money than he'll ever be able to spend in his lifetime, or his theoretical children's lifetime.

Beyond that, what does his agent do for him? On that, I am totally clueless.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Well he said he wanted to stay here on H&L and it sounded sincere to me so perhaps the rumors are false? I will play along for fun though with the narrative. Hey allegedly Kane didn't want to play here from the start yet he busted his ass every shift? "Some" guys might not dig living here (maybe Trouba is one maybe not) but it's a big stretch to assume they won't be professional. Even if he doesn't want to be here I sign him and maximize his value and if that means he needs to suck it up and stay for a while so be it. Every team has guys on it that probably prefer being elsewhere for one reason or another....wife hates it....media fish bowl....crappy team......NOT GETTING THE MINUTES.....hate big cities. This goes with the turf of their chosen trade, They get to live anywhere they want for 3-4 months of the year but they don't get to chose where they play for 8-9 months until they are UFA's.

On a personal note I spent the first 15 years of my professional life moving from city to city to better my career and in most cases I moved to cities I didn't want to live in. I always did it and it didn't impact my job because I was professional.

It's my opinion guys like Trouba love playing hockey and competing and it would have to get really ugly for it to impact their game on the ice. Not to mention they are their brand and negative results lead to less money. Maybe they trade him maybe they don't but it's business and we only deal him if it improves our team.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I'm not incredibly worried about it. Calgary has yet to sign any of their high-impact RFAs, too. I'll feel better once they're signed, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

OutsideLookingIn

Feb 9, 2010

Let's say that guy, (Trouba), wants to be the best player he can possiblely be. In order to do that, maybe he wants a better partner. Maybe he wants PP time. Maybe he wants to play the right side. Maybe he want to play with top level forwards and not 3rd and 4th liners. Maybe he sees 20 other NHL teams where he can get the opportunity. Maybe he feels he can be a #1 or #2 and he doesn't see the opportunity to do that with the Jets. Maybe it not about the team, money or the city.

Just maybe?

Think about it from a real life perspective. If you worked at Google and were being held back, would you look for a better opportunity at Apple. The answer is yes.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The D in this UFA class is really weak.

The entire supply chain issues for Defence is fascinating. Why is it tougher to develop quality defenders than forwards? You need double the forwards to fill spots yet it seems like the scarcity around functional top 4 defenders is constant?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
The entire supply chain issues for Defence is fascinating. Why is it tougher to develop quality defenders than forwards? You need double the forwards to fill spots yet it seems like the scarcity around functional top 4 defenders is constant?

Youth seems to becoming more highly valued at the forward positions, but there is resistance on the back end. That likely plays a roll. Stuart remains a mainstay, while players like Postma and Redmond rotate through despite better on ice results.

Redmond was effective at creating positive shot differentials here. He has been among the best in Colorado too, but he isn't the "type" of D man that these teams are seeking thus he isn't a regular.

Strange to me.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

You need more unique ability to be a defender I think. The position, onto itself, requires you to be stronger on the puck, have higher hockey IQ and be a quality skater(albeit in a different way) than the run of the mill forward does.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
What if Jacob trouba a is actually a dragon?

I jest

As for the defender issue, my theories is its a systemic failure of identifying a d prioritizing what is actually "good" defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad