Speculation: Teams calling the Jets about Trouba

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Bob McKenzie article on the main boards there. Not gonna copy and paste it but... it basically says that Trouba may be looking for to much money and teams are calling the Jets asking what they are gonna do with him.

Couple Questions

1. How much is to much for Trouba?

and

2. What would you want in return for him if he was to be traded?

I'm sure teams call and ask about a number of different players on the team all the time.

1) Anything more than the 6 x $5 million that Reilly signed for is too much.

2) An equivalent young LD or C.

I personally doubt he's moved. The Jets are In the drivers seat here and can wait him out if it comes to that.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Yeah, I'm sure theres not much to any of it but just curious what people feel is to much for him and what they'd want back.

I'd be tempted to talk to Edmonton about RNH and pick 4. Might be an overpay from Edmonton but they are pretty desperate it seems.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
And so it begins. Next month will be annoying.

McKenzie just stated the obvious. Teams are calling about Trouba just like they're calling about Lindholm, Jones, Girgensons, Gaudreau, Monahan and Kucherov. GMs doing their job.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Bob McKenzie article on the main boards there. Not gonna copy and paste it but... it basically says that Trouba may be looking for to much money and teams are calling the Jets asking what they are gonna do with him.

Couple Questions

1. How much is to much for Trouba?

and

2. What would you want in return for him if he was to be traded?

1) Not going to look up all the previous discussions, but ideally it's pretty much around what Rielly got. Ideally add a bit to get 7 or 8 years.

2) One high impact comparable aged player. I.E Provorov, Werenski, Hanifin, Lindholm (although that makes no sense as the Ducks would only move Lindholm for money reasons and Trouba would just be more money headaches). Ideally a D (IMO), but if a forward than a similar aged centre as well, Larkin, Monahan, Bennett, Reinhart, Nylander (not ideal),

None of the "package" deals that will be put out on the trade board for months going forward, and then after being rejected Jets fans being told how overrated Trouba is.

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
If traded I would want a top 4 LHD who is under 30 and their best D prospect currently not in the NHL. Oh, and their first round pick next year. Because it's Chevy and that's how he rolls.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
i'd only trade Trouba for 2 reasons:

1. his ask is insanely unreasonable
2. he has lifestyle choices/character issues that make long-term development a huge concern

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
And assuming both those are the case, what would you want in return for him?

we're making assumptions. rumours are rumours - and i'm talking about the $$ Trouba wants.

you trade a stud in waiting like Trouba and you better be getting a stud in waiting back. would Seth Jones be a crazy kind of marker?

not that the Habs are thinking of moving Subban, but i'm wondering out loud...Trouba plus Petan plus Stafford and a conditional pick for Subban. is that highway robbery or a fair deal?
think about it

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
I think Chevy and company are summer fishing for offers pre draft to see what true deals are available for Trouba and if enticing enough, you never know, Chevy may just take that bite.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
we're making assumptions. rumours are rumours - and i'm talking about the $$ Trouba wants.

you trade a stud in waiting like Trouba and you better be getting a stud in waiting back. would Seth Jones be a crazy kind of marker?

not that the Habs are thinking of moving Subban, but i'm wondering out loud...Trouba plus Petan plus Stafford and a conditional pick for Subban. is that highway robbery or a fair deal?
think about it

No Subban even Montreal doesn't want his contract so why would we want it, no thanks, pass.... next?

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
No Subban even Montreal doesn't want his contract so why would we want it, no thanks, pass.... next?

68a7b3a700ba605b3c73969246ac6537.jpg

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Must be slow in McKenzie's world right now. This is really old news that has been floating about for months - Trouba wants too much money, Jets won't pay him.

My standard response:

1. As soon as that rumor was floated the agent came out and said whoa, where'd that come from?

2. What possible basis does Trouba have for an ask larger than Hamilton or Reilly? None, potential is nice but meaningless. Yes, I'm an ardent defender of Trouba and think being saddled with Stu through his ELC has cost him a ton of money. I also believe Trouba is the equal of Hamilton/Reilly given the proper pairing and some actual significant PP minutes. He's worth what they're making in my mind, so I believe the potential but I don't hand out contracts.

3. Who cares what his initial ask is? Maybe the Jets offer him two years @ $1 million to start and they end up in the middle. I dunno how you guys go about buying cars but I sure don't walk into the dealer suggesting I'm going to give you full price, no questions asked. I can't imagine the Jets will do that and nor will Trouba's agent say "$5 more than Stu and we're good here".

To answer the OPs question:

Nothing is too much since we're basing this off pure idiocy of a single rumor that has been bouncing around since some idiotic WFP (or was it Wpg Sun?) article started it.

So yeah, equivalent LHD, what amounts to a first pairing guy since that could well be where we play Trouba this season (with Buff) with 40-50 point potential. Jones is nice.

Since the inevitable rumors will come out for Edmonton - Draisaitl, nothing less, if we're settling for a forward rather than a D replacement. Why isn't that absurd? Just because the Jets are stacked with quality RHD it seems perfectly reasonable to ask for something the Oilers are absolutely stacked with - quality young centers. Is it a ridiculous ask? Of course it is, but throwing spare parts back or bad contracts (I'm looking at you Eberle - $6 million per would make him the second highest paid Jet - no thanks) back in return for a potential #1 stud RHD that is a whopping 22 years of age is pretty damn ridiculous too.

If, and it's a big if, he has big character issues the Jets don't like, then I'm supportive of moving him, but all of that is speculative too. The Jets know and I trust they'd handle it appropriately. But it doesn't change the ask because of what we're giving up.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Not really surprised, I do think the Jets ink a deal with Trouba but there's nothing out of the ordinary hearing that teams are inquiring. That's just business as usual.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
One of the best defensemen in the NHL is paid a lot of money.
News at 11.

Our first 11 News story of the night is on the Winnipeg Jets and how they are able to negotiate fair and cost conscience NHL contracts for their team and players and lets take a look at what Dustin Byfuglien just recently signed for.........

Dream on... its not taxable, yet!

Our second News story is on the Montreal Canadians and how July 1st of this year Subban's No Movement clause kicks in and Thank God the Winnipeg Jets wouldn't get caught dead in a millisecond with an overpaid and way too long of a contract like that.

Go Jets Go!

Last edited by a moderator:

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Our first 11 News story of the night is on the Winnipeg Jets and how they are able to negotiate fair and cost conscience NHL contracts for their team and players and lets take a look at what Dustin Byfuglien just recently signed for.........

Our second News story is on the Montreal Canadians and how July 1st of this year Subban's No Movement clause kicks in and Thank God the Winnipeg Jets wouldn't get caught dead in a millisecond with an overpaid and way too long of a contract like that.

Go Jets Go!

Alright I will say it first and save you all the time (Stewart ahhh Pav's) Duhhh busted ;)

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

Go Jets Go!

Subban is awesome. I would literally **** my pants and eat it if we somehow managed to get Subban for a reasonable deal.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Subban is awesome. I would literally **** my pants and eat it if we somehow managed to get Subban for a reasonable deal.

I don't see the point, he's yet another RD that essentially brings what we already have in Buff. I can't say I'd be happy to allocate 16 million in cap space on our first and 2nd pairing RD'S.

As an aside it's pretty amazing that almost all the marquee dmen that are assumed to be available the last little while have shot right.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Still ticked off at Campbell for that stupid rumour about the contract demands of Buff, Trouba and Ladd.

It seemed contrived at the time, and Buff's signing basically showed how off-base it was.

I expected more from Campbell.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2