Speculation: Teams calling the Jets about Trouba

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
FYI for those interested:

@garylawless: just talked to Jacob Trouba's agent Kurt Overhardt. Tune in to H and L at 3 p.m. on @TSN1290Radio and I'll tell you what he said #nhljets

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Yes, but this early in the off-season? There's a lot of chatter going on around Trouba. There has been for weeks. We know how long these RFA contracts can take, especially ones without arbitration rights. I mean, Chevy is doing his due diligence by listening to trade offers, and perhaps he sees someone in the 1st round that a second high pick can bring in. Not sure how wild I am about the idea, but eh.

What chatter? There was a report from Ed Tait that Scheifele Buff and Trouba were asking big money. Buff signed for way less and Troubas agent denied the report.

Then there's another report that Colorado offered Duchene for Trouba. Teams can offer whatever they want, it has nothing to do with a player being available or negotiations going poorly.

Absolutely everything else is strictly speculation by reporters which means nothing.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

If it's interesting, they'll drop it early and talk about it for 3 hours. If it's nothing, they'll string us along until 5:55pm so we can find out he just said "we're looking forward to discussions..." or whatever. :sarcasm:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Pretty sure that Trouba's agent said that they are open to a long-term deal. Trouba is one of the best young D in the league. Still hopeful of getting a deal done... etc., etc.

I don't expect anything very illuminating.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Wouldn't expect anything more than "we're working on it". Because who the hell actually says things as they are... (this does not apply if you are Drouin's agent or Laine)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If it's interesting, they'll drop it early and talk about it for 3 hours. If it's nothing, they'll string us along until 5:55pm so we can find out he just said "we're looking forward to discussions..." or whatever. :sarcasm:

Pretty sure that Trouba's agent said that they are open to a long-term deal. Trouba is one of the best young D in the league. Still hopeful of getting a deal done... etc., etc.

I don't expect anything very illuminating.

Wouldn't expect anything more than "we're working on it". Because who the hell actually says things as they are... (this does not apply if you are Drouin's agent or Laine)

Yup boys I am with you......just giving everyone a heads up.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
On the Radio they mentioned the coyotes were looking at Trouba I would trade Trouba for Micheal Stone and the 7th overall.This would really shore up our D and allow us to pick one of Joleuvi,Sergachev or Chychrun.
Enstrom,Myers
Chariot,Buff
Morrisey,Stone
that would be a solid d Corp and when Enstrom leaves hopefully one of the 3 D drafted will be available.Morrissey moves up the line up and Chariot moves down.Stone is more than capable of playing top 4 minutes of injuries occur.Either way that's a solid top 6.I think we would have to have a small add to make this deal as Arizona is pretty high on Stone.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
On the Radio they mentioned the coyotes were looking at Trouba I would trade Trouba for Micheal Stone and the 7th overall.This would really shore up our D and allow us to pick one of Joleuvi,Sergachev or Chychrun.
Enstrom,Myers
Chariot,Buff
Morrisey,Stone
that would be a solid d Corp and when Enstrom leaves hopefully one of the 3 D drafted will be available.Morrissey moves up the line up and Chariot moves down.Stone is more than capable of playing top 4 minutes of injuries occur.Either way that's a solid top 6.I think we would have to have a small add to make this deal as Arizona is pretty high on Stone.

Terrible value for the Jets IMO. Just sign Trouba if that's the best we can get.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Lawless

Trouba has not asked for a trade
Trouba does not plan to hold out to force a trade
Trouba does not necessarily want to play in a larger market or leave Winnipeg

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Lawless

Trouba has not asked for a trade
Trouba does not plan to hold out to force a trade
Trouba does not necessarily want to play in a larger market or leave Winnipeg

So yet another vague answer lol. What about holding out to get more cash :p.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

he talked to oberhardt on the phone and he would not answer questions pertaining to contract negotiations. Why would you expect him to? He did answer those questions though.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I didn't take it that way. He was trying to be as straight forward as possible.

He obviously couldn't speak to exact numbers as the agent (rightly) wouldn't get into specifics.

All in all, it was a pretty ringing endorsement for Trouba to be here long term I thought.

(fingers crossed he isn't traded now)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
he talked to oberhardt on the phone and he would not answer questions pertaining to contract negotiations. Why would you expect him to? He did answer those questions though.

I don't expect him to. I was just poking fun since people give Chevy a hard time for not saying much.

This thing just looks like both parties trying to downplay the importance of the other in order to try to gain leverage in the negotiations. I see this thing getting done.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I didn't take it that way. He was trying to be as straight forward as possible.

He obviously couldn't speak to exact numbers as the agent (rightly) wouldn't get into specifics.

All in all, it was a pretty ringing endorsement for Trouba to be here long term I thought.

(fingers crossed he isn't traded now)

Yes this was definitely the tone. Lawless even said that Oberhardt was not overly concerned, that there is a lot of time. He even used the phrase "it's a process" so it's obvious he must have talked to Chevy recently :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
What does "not necessarily" mean?

Sorry I paraphrased and added that part. It was something like

Lawless: there's talk that Trouba really wants to play in a larger market somewhere other than Winnipeg

Oberhardt : not true.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Sorry I paraphrased and added that part. It was something like

Lawless: there's talk that Trouba really wants to play in a larger market somewhere other than Winnipeg

Oberhardt : not true.

Wait - is he saying that it's not true that there's been talk? :sarcasm:

Thanks for the live reports. I'm certainly of the mindset that there's way more smoke than fire around the Trouba situation.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Just got a notification on my phone from The Score app:

News Alert:
Jets not trying to trade D Jacob Trouba

Whew! what a relief that is....

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
It wasn't ed tait btw, it was tim campbell who wrote that speculative article mid season....

As for Trouba, Was honestly pretty obvious all along, I mean, yeah obviously we had some discussions on here about it that might have went one way and the other way at times but i'm guessing to a man or woman for that matter, if we did a poll and asked, do you think the Jets are shopping Trouba, i would suspect that 99 percent of us would have said NO they aren't.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
If Trouba actually was looking to get out of the 'Peg, it'd be a jerk move for his agent to announce it at this point. As that would move Chevy from a position of strength to weakness in trade negotiations. Much better for Chevy to answer the phone and say "You want Trouba? So do we. But I'll listen to your offer to pry him out of our club. Better make it good." Rather than "Trouba? Yes, I know he wants out. Oh, you'll kindly take him off our hands for us? Gee, thanks..."

I'm not saying Trouba does want out. Just that, if he did, his agent might have reasonable cause to lie about it at this point. Unless he wanted to seriously damage his rep.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
If Trouba actually was looking to get out of the 'Peg, it'd be a jerk move for his agent to announce it at this point. As that would move Chevy from a position of strength to weakness in trade negotiations. Much better for Chevy to answer the phone and say "You want Trouba? So do we. But I'll listen to your offer to pry him out of our club. Better make it good." Rather than "Trouba? Yes, I know he wants out. Oh, you'll kindly take him off our hands for us? Gee, thanks..."

I'm not saying Trouba does want out. Just that, if he did, his agent might have reasonable cause to lie about it at this point. Unless he wanted to seriously damage his rep.

Lawless metioned he's known Oberhardt for 20 years. This sounded sincere that the goal now for both sides is to work out a long term deal. Of course $$$ will end up being a big factor, but it does not appear that beyond $$$ Trouba has any issues with playing for a long time in Winnipeg. That was what was news about today.

It dos not guarantee Trouba will re-sign or that he won't be traded but it puts to bed some of the speculation surrounding the issue.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Lawless metioned he's known Oberhardt for 20 years. This sounded sincere that the goal now for both sides is to work out a long term deal. Of course $$$ will end up being a big factor, but it does not appear that beyond $$$ Trouba has any issues with playing for a long time in Winnipeg. That was what was news about today.

It dos not guarantee Trouba will re-sign or that he won't be traded but it puts to bed some of the speculation surrounding the issue.

I took it as pretty sincere as well and I'm far from a Lawless fan. IMO any rumours are coming from outside the Jets or Trouba's camps. It sounds to me that both sides are looking for a reasonable middle ground.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: