Dreger: Teams are 100% preparing to offer-sheet Mitch Marner (Marner doesn’t see it getting there) pt2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I'm not even sure what the point would be in inflating the market. The best case scenario for other teams is that the Leafs overpay. Okay great, they're in cap trouble. What happens when I have to sign my young superstar? His agent will compare me to Marner which means I should a similar contract. You kinda shoot yourself in the foot with this hypothetical.
Yup....which is why I find it odd everyone seems to be frothing at the mouth at the possibility of Marner setting a new standard for contracts around the league lol it will be felt around the league and if you are cheering it on now don't come crying when it is time to sign up your young stars.

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

Grimmas

Mar 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
He would be an idiot not to sign one. You have no idea what could happen in regards to health as an athlete. If someone comes in with an offer that big there’s not a chance in hell he isn’t signing.
Just like Tavares is an idiot for not taking San Jose's 13 million offer?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Maple Leafs have lowballed Mitch Marner in contract talks, agent says | The Star

“That’s probably the best contract in the National Hockey League,” said Darren Ferris, the agent whose client list includes Maple Leafs star Mitch Marner. “There’s no team-friendly discount there”

“So far they’ve been trying to lowball (Marner),” Ferris said. “That’s the reason we’ve come to this point.”

“Nobody else is taking a discount. And now you’re asking (Marner) to take one again? It’s nonsense,” Ferris said. “Mitch already did them a favour on the entry-level deal.”

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I don't even understand this sentence.

I .. what? I dont speak 'confusing sentence.' Care to translate?

LOLOLOL I couldn't help but laugh at whatever the hell this is

I've tried to figure it out for 20 minutes now. Its amazing.

Doesnt really seem that complicated tbh, I'm assuming he is a native French speaker...

Logic (n) is performing the action to want (v) = 'logically [we] expect/want', since logic must be applied by a person or in this case a fanbase (I doubt he's greek). "Will no[t] go" is his way of trying to form a future action = to not go (in the future). The rest is extremely straight forward assuming you understand that their ELC was their first contract.

In proper English, his response to someone who questioned how the Leafs are locked up for 10 years on a contract for 5 or 6:

Well, [logically we believe] that those guys will not go to UFA (status) and instead will sign in Toronto on their 3rd contract (ELC + this contract + UFA contract). [Context added - Therefore the Leafs are theoretically in for more than 5 years, unless you believe they want to let Marner and Matthew's walk without trying to resign them as UFA's?]

Just take each part of the sentence and translate it individually. That's generally how non-native speakers form a sentence. Hes also not that wrong, assuming you get past his poor grammar and try to have a discussion rather than make fun of him. But who knows

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
It’s amazing that this is on its second thread already. He’s more or less said he’s not signing an offer sheet.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Doesnt really seem that complicated tbh, I'm assuming he is a native French speaker...

Logic (n) is performing the action to want (v) = 'logically [we] expect/want', since logic must be applied by a person or in this case a fanbase (I doubt he's greek). "Will no[t] go" is his way of trying to form a future action = to not go (in the future). The rest is extremely straight forward assuming you understand that their ELC was their first contract.

In proper English, his response to someone who questioned how the Leafs are locked up for 10 years on a contract for 5 or 6:

Well, [logically we believe] that those guys will not go to UFA (status) and instead will sign in Toronto on their 3rd contract (ELC + this contract + UFA contract). [Context added - Therefore the Leafs are theoretically in for more than 5 years, unless you believe they want to let Marner and Matthew's walk without trying to resign them as UFA's?]

Just take each part of the sentence and translate it individually. That's generally how non-native speakers form a sentence. Hes also not that wrong, assuming you get past his poor grammar and try to have a discussion rather than make fun of him. But who knows

Thats what I read as well. Not really that hard to figure out.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

I wasn't making fun of him I literally had no jeezlus idea what he was trying to say. Better yet, I am bilingual, wife and kid are Francophones and I live in a bilingual province and I have never seen a sentence butchered like that. From one word to the next there was almost zero connection.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
How stupid would you have to be to not understand that incredibly easy sentence lol

Change the word 'wants' to 'says'

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
Marner is a great player, no doubt. But do I don't see an offer sheet coming. Why would a team give him 11-12 million and give up 4 draft picks.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Not quite like that.

You are really comparing THE TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS with poor NYIslanders. :sarcasm:
You mean the same poor Islanders that had 4 Cups in a row since long after Leafs had their last one? Every organization has peaks and valleys. Enjoy your time now Leafs you've seen plenty dark days in past.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
And yet the Maple Leafs have as much playoff success as the Islanders in this decade

This might shock you but the Leafs we're a really bad team for most of this decade, they aren't anymore though. I highly doubt players care about what happened years before they were even drafted. The goal of the regular season is to make the playoffs and every year Marner has been here the Leafs have done that and look likely to continue to do it. Who care about cups won before most of these players were even born?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig