Dreger: Teams are 100% preparing to offer-sheet Mitch Marner (Marner doesn’t see it getting there) pt2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
In a shocking turn of events leafs are preparing to offersheet Rantanan, stay tuned for dominoes pizza!

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Matthews says keeping the team together is very important to him. Marner says he is "definitely not" interested in offer sheets. Yet the HFBoards threads go on and on and on.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Matthews says keeping the team together is very important to him. Marner says he is "definitely not" interested in offer sheets. Yet the HFBoards threads go on and on and on.

It's funny I posted the Hockey News basically laughing at Dreger and no one wants to even comment on it.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
on top of that you have the Marner vs Aho thread where Aho is a better player but will take way less money than Marner

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Well then it's easy.

Both Matthews and Marner sign a contract like Nylander, same term, same money. Leaves enough cap space for Leafs to sign Kapanen and even then find another good D and you all are in for 10 years of non stop Stanley Cup wins...only if it worked that way.

How can you be all in for 10 years on 5-6 year contracts?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
A Bigfoot sighting and a Mitch Marner offer sheet: equally likely - TheHockeyNews

Basically suggesting there's no chance of it happening and teams are using Dreger.

It'as what I have been saying" the only way you can have a shot at signing Marner is a # in which you give up 4 1st rounders. No team will do that.
Yeah, it's a fun fantasy to talk about, but the reality doesn't match up. As said, a team would have to offer an absurd amount to really hurt the Leafs. And it just doesn't make sense to offer a player more than they're worth just to hurt another team.

Let's say Jersey offers Marner a 7 year, 80 million dollar deal. I don't pretend to know Jersey's cap situation, this is just a hypothetical with a random team. Now, anything over 11 a year and I don't know that the Leafs match. So now Jersey loses 4 first rounders and they're paying a winger way more than he's worth, effectively ruining their own cap situation.

Frankly it would just be terrible management. I don't know that there is a team in the league that has the draft picks, cap space and lack of expiring contracts to make an offer sheet work

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

Noone here cares what the players or teams say. They always seem to know more and better what is wanted or being offered.

If anyone thinks that M&M are not going to be long term leafs they are simply kidding themselves or in jealous denial of the Leafs.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
If you are a GM, and you leak that your gonna go after Marner in the summer, maybe it forces the Leafs to pay more?

I.e. let's say Marner was comforatable at 9m x 7. And he hears he is gonna get a offer of 10x 7 from another contending team.

Maybe he goes to the Leafs and now asks for 9.5 x 7. Maybe it costs the Leafs 500k a year. Who knows

Not many contending teams have the cap space for that kind of deal. That's just the simple truth.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Not many contending teams have the cap space for that kind of deal. That's just the simple truth.
Carolina imo is a dark horse.
They have really good D, young forward group, but need more scoring.
Going after Marner would be huge for them. Their owner just said they aren't drafting D in the 1st anymore, and that they need scoring.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
A Bigfoot sighting and a Mitch Marner offer sheet: equally likely - TheHockeyNews

Basically suggesting there's no chance of it happening and teams are using Dreger.

It'as what I have been saying" the only way you can have a shot at signing Marner is a # in which you give up 4 1st rounders. No team will do that.
I'm not even sure what the point would be in inflating the market. The best case scenario for other teams is that the Leafs overpay. Okay great, they're in cap trouble. What happens when I have to sign my young superstar? His agent will compare me to Marner which means I should a similar contract. You kinda shoot yourself in the foot with this hypothetical.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I certainly hope you guys can sign Matthews and Marner, no cup since 1967 is a long stretch for the center of the hockey universe.

Long droughts are a simple reality for many teams.

Blues : Never (52 years)
Sabres : Never (48 years)
Canucks : Never (48 years)
Flyers : 44 years
Coyotes : Never (39 years)
Islanders : 36 years
Flames : 30 years
Oilers : 29 years
Sharks : Never (27 years)
Senators : Never (26 years)
Canadiens : 26 years
Panthers : Never (25 years)
Rangers : 25 years
Stars : 20 years
Predators : Never (20 years)

Etc etc

These droughts are nowhere near ending for many of these teams, and before you know it even Habs fans will be wallowing in a 40+ year drought. Its not easy winning the Stanley Cup, it is the most difficult trophy to win in all of professional sports.

I know you probably don't bring up the drought in a hurtful way but for the people who do use it as an insult its kinda ridiculous considering their teams likely have decades long droughts too.

Reactions: Minnesnota

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

He would be an idiot not to sign one. You have no idea what could happen in regards to health as an athlete. If someone comes in with an offer that big there’s not a chance in hell he isn’t signing.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Long droughts are a simple reality for many teams.

Blues : Never (52 years)
Sabres : Never (48 years)
Canucks : Never (48 years)
Flyers : 44 years
Coyotes : Never (39 years)
Islanders : 36 years
Flames : 30 years
Oilers : 29 years
Sharks : Never (27 years)
Senators : Never (26 years)
Canadiens : 26 years
Panthers : Never (25 years)
Rangers : 25 years
Stars : 20 years
Predators : Never (20 years)

Etc etc

These droughts are nowhere near ending for many of these teams, and before you know it even Habs fans will be wallowing in a 40+ year drought. Its not easy winning the Stanley Cup, it is the most difficult trophy to win in all of professional sports.

I know you probably don't bring up the drought in a hurtful way but for the people who do use it as an insult its kinda ridiculous considering their teams likely have decades long droughts too.

You can make it even worse if you look at "one Cup won in ... years".

One team has won one Cup in the last 77 seasons.

One had won one Cup in 71 seasons before winning it again in the 2010s.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Someone is getting traded in a panic move way before this reaches offer sheet territory. Remember when the caps traded away MarJo so they''d have room to sign their younger core players? Same deal here. We'd much rather give up Connor Brown for a 7th if it means keeping Marner.

There is literally 0 possible outcomes that end in Marner or Matthews being available for offer sheet unless they decide that they want to make more money than McDavid... which they won't try to do.

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018
lol so much distraction this year for the Leafs, Matthews is floating on the ice ready to sit on his big fat contract, Nylander playing like crap and Marner's clan looking to break the bank... :laugh: Karma they are calling it? Thats what happen when you deliberately suck for a couple of years...

Cant wait to see how it ends up... :popcorn:
Spoiler alert...You will be extremely disappointed with the ending.

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
I honestly think there is a bigger risk of an offer sheet that we are unable to match to Kappy, as he is somewhat of the odd man out. He has a lot of room to grow as a player and a 5-year deal just outside of what the Leafs can afford (after locking up M&M) is a concern to me.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I honestly think there is a bigger risk of an offer sheet that we are unable to match to Kappy, as he is somewhat of the odd man out. He has a lot of room to grow as a player and a 5-year deal just outside of what the Leafs can afford (after locking up M&M) is a concern to me.

Agreed. If there's an offer sheet against the Leafs it would be for Kapanen.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Hence why its through the media, and not a specific name given.

So your rationale is that Darren Dreger approached Mitch Marner (or announced through the media as it were) and said "Hey Mitchi Poo! Team X is offering you $10 x 7." and you expect Mitch to be dumb enough to buy that? Don't know about you but if I am Mitch, I call BS. If I am Mitch, I also already know that every team in the league is interested in me. So if Dreger speaks in generalities, he may as well be saying "the sky is blue". Reminds me of when Burke said he was interested in #1 overall. It was a statement that couldn't have been more mundane. Every single GM in the league should be interested in #1 overall or they aren't doing their job. Unfortunately, the reading impaired changed that to "Burke said he's going to land #1 overall" and ran with what they invented.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad