Dreger: Teams are 100% preparing to offer-sheet Mitch Marner (Marner doesn’t see it getting there) pt2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
How this isnt locked I dont know. Even McKenzie said on the night of those comments that he will believe it when he sees it. That's one. Secondly no way it goes past July 1st, even if it does Marner is a hometown guy, who loves playing here (any leaf fan will tell.you its evident in his game). Do people really think Dubas wont do everything in his power to make sure it doesnt go into the summer months. Anyone outside the core is fair game to get moved in order to make it work.

Itll be a 3yr bridge to get us cap relief, and he wont be up when Nylander or Matthew's will. Or itll be a max deal. Babcock saying hes a lifer, and Tsn vid with Reda yesterday at the 515m 519m mark are all anyone has to see/hear to know itll be done in time

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
How this isnt locked I dont know. Even McKenzie said on the night of those comments that he will believe it when he sees it. That's one. Secondly no way it goes past July 1st, even if it does Marner is a hometown guy, who loves playing here (any leaf fan will tell.you its evident in his game). Do people really think Dubas wont do everything in his power to make sure it doesnt go into the summer months. Anyone outside the core is fair game to get moved in order to make it work.

Itll be a 3yr bridge to get us cap relief, and he wont be up when Nylander or Matthew's will. Or itll be a max deal. Babcock saying hes a lifer, and Tsn vid with Reda yesterday at the 515m 519m mark are all anyone has to see/hear to know itll be done in time

Your point is valid. However, it doesn’t mean teams aren’t preparing (an offer sheet) on July 1st.

Marner is good enough to justify overpaying AND losing 4x 1st round pick. I can 100% see a few teams sending contract offers on July 1st if Marner hasn’t yet signed a contract. We haven’t seen many offer sheets because quite frankly, no players got there and was worth the $$ and future. Marner is one of the rare player and checks all boxes for an offer sheet.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Your point is valid. However, it doesn’t mean teams aren’t preparing (an offer sheet) on July 1st.

Marner is good enough to justify overpaying AND losing 4x 1st round pick. I can 100% see a few teams sending contract offers on July 1st if Marner hasn’t yet signed a contract. We haven’t seen many offer sheets because quite frankly, no players got there and was worth the $$ and future. Marner is one of the rare player and checks all boxes for an offer sheet.

They can prepare all they want. Dubas isnt dumb, if he feels like that's a true threat even more reason why it doesnt go past the 1st. It's simple its 3yr bridge, or 7 to 8yr max deal a 3 scenarios make it so hes not up with AM or Nylander. If 8yr by 9 was ask in summer I'm sure if it's under 10 we do it because I think itll be 10 or 10.5

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
They can prepare all they want. Dubas isnt dumb, if he feels like that's a true threat even more reason why it doesnt go past the 1st. It's simple its 3yr bridge, or 7 to 8yr max deal a 3 scenarios make it so hes not up with AM or Nylander. If 8yr by 9 was ask in summer I'm sure if it's under 10 we do it because I think itll be 10 or 10.5

Most likely scenario for sure. However, until the contract is signed, it’s still worthy of a thread.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
sign Marner to 3 x 7-7.5 and then sign him long term when Marleau's contract is gone as well as Kessel's retention.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Marner is a great player, no doubt. But do I don't see an offer sheet coming. Why would a team give him 11-12 million and give up 4 draft picks.

Well you tell me

11m x 8y who do you offer sheet first Point or Marner? I take the stud C all day long.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Aho, Rantanen, Point, Tkachuk, Laine..but nope teams are only gonna offersheet Marner...the kid who grew up a leafs fan and loves playing in TO

dont drink the media kool-aid folks

Marner 9.5 x 6 after the season
You are using up coming RFA's as your examples, but the similarities stop there. I think the reason that the Leafs players are being mentioned as offer sheet targets is because the Leafs are in the least friendly position of all the teams with expensive RFA's. Toronto has 3 big name players to get under contract for this season - Nylander, Marner and Matthews. TB really only has Point, Winnipeg has Connor, Laine and Trouba, the Avs has Rantanen - so the comparison can be made to Winnipeg, but TB and Colorado don't have the number of players needing big raises.
Secondly look at next years cap space, the Avs are fine so no issue there, TB, Tor and Win will have some work to do.
Third, what are the options to shed salary? TB has JT Miller @ $5.25 and Callahan @$5.8ish they can move to create space. Callahan might be tough but with only 1 year remaining he is an option. Winnipeg has Perrault and Little that they can move if they need to in order to shed salary. The Leafs don't really have contracts they can move - Kadri is too valuable, Zaitsev is an option but with his contract length he might require a sweetener or be tough to move at all. Marleau has a NMC and all the other players are making small salaries so they don't provide the necessary relief.
So if I was a rival GM, I would look at the situation and I would target the team in the worst position and from my perspective that is the Leafs. Not saying TB and Winnipeg won't have challenges or that there aren't sharks circling those teams either, but teams will be looking to get a player for below market value from TB and Win. but in Toronto an offer sheet seems like the most logical approach.

Calgary and Carolina have enough cap to sign their players too so I didn't comment on Tkachuk or Aho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad