Team Finland WC 2023

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
I talked myself into not bringing my rantanen jersey to Tampere, but I've seen Vegas, rangers, Dallas and Carolina jerseys being worn. I want to find a shop that sells a rantanen jersey, any local Finns care to recommend a shop?

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Read this quote from Pekka Virta and you realize how Finland plays, it's mind boggling that people still don't realize how Finland plays in this level even after so many tournaments. This sums up everything perfectly. Even so called NA commentators falls in to this trap "Oh Finland is struggling, how did they end up in final because they didn't win France 8-0"

"Tietenkin joillain oli jo huoli puserossa, että miten peli tulee päättymään. Mutta edelleen: Suomi pelaa samaa jääkiekkoa läpi kisojen. Suomi ei lähde pienempiä maitakaan vastaan paineistamaan, vaikka materiaali on paljon parempi, Virta tietää.

– Ensimmäisessä erässä Suomi träppäsi ja tuli viivelähdöillä ihan normaalisti."

FINshark

Mar 23, 2009
I talked myself into not bringing my rantanen jersey to Tampere, but I've seen Vegas, rangers, Dallas and Carolina jerseys being worn. I want to find a shop that sells a rantanen jersey, any local Finns care to recommend a shop?
You can try Kiekkobussi Fan Shop at Tuomiokirkonkatu 25, in the Centrum of Tampere. It should be open 12:00-20:30 (or then their main shop; www.kiekkobussi.com/en/page/yhteystiedot/10032)

Reactions: BobRossColton

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Switzerland has been really good this tournament, but I'm going to guess now that it will be FIN-SUI QF game, based on the fact that Switzerland plays Canada today and tomorrow is SUI-CZE and that is a back to back game for Switzerland. It's kind of unfair, but that's how it is.

I'm also aware that Czech has lost 2 points so far with the OT loss to Latvia and Canada has lost 1 point with Canada's SO win over SVK, while SUI has full points, but I think that SUI will loose 3 points against one of CZE or CAN and SUI will beat one of them.

To me Switzerland is kind of a nightmare opponent now. My feeling is that SUI wins gold if Finland doesn't. Czech is the second one I don't want Finland to face, because they are sometimes really hard to beat when they get fired up. That along with K.Jalonen who knows Finland so well. That leaves Canada that pretty much always ends up in the finals now. Who ever Finland faces, Finland just better play good in that QF game or the tournament ends there.

It's also possible that we have in CZE-CAN game the type of situation which we don't really want to see in a hockey game where the winner gets rewarded by facing Finland, so the motivation to win that game might not be there. I doubt that anyone wants to face Finland in a QF match, although Finland has shown some vulnerabilities. J.Jalonen's QF win record is pretty good.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
To me Switzerland is kind of a nightmare opponent now. My feeling is that SUI wins gold if Finland doesn't.
Same here, the Swiss are well oiled machine but if there is a country that deserves a world championship, it is Switzerland.

And if there is a single player that deserves a world championship, it is Andres Ambuhl. Most games at the WHC tournament 127, which is naturally a swiss record as well. Total 306 national team games played. And most WHC tournaments as well.

18 WHC tournaments(2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023)
5 Olympic tournaments(2006, 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022)
2 WJC U20 tournaments(2002, 2003)
1 WJC U18 tournament(2001)

Incredible numbers. Only time he didn't play in international tournament was 2020 and that was only because of covid.

Respect.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
No surprise there that Switzerland beat Canada. Finland would 100% avoid Switzerland at QF phase if Switzerland would just beat Czech tomorrow as well, but it's a tough task with that back to back game for Switzerland while The Czechs were resting today.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
As for Finland's game and the line changes goes. It was very interesting experiment at the end with Kapanen replacing Hartikainen, but I think that the better change for the lines would be the following. I really want to see Kapanen with Rantanen again, but I don't think that the center has to be Manninen. We don't have to break Manninen + Härski.

Rantanen-Suomela-Kapanen
Kakko-Manninen-Hartikainen
Pesonen-Lammikko-Armia
Oksanen-Björninen-Anttila

Our top-6 would be what I suggested before the tournament. I doubt that Jalonen does this though, because it would get ackward with the PP units, but our PP hasn't been that amazing and there's time to practice these new units and PP. I'd be excited to see these lines.

In Kakko's place there could also be Armia or Pesonen. Armia would be a rightie, but I think that Kakko will do. Someone mentioned on these forums few weeks ago that apparently Kakko has played with Manninen and Hartikainen before in 2019, so for that reason I wouldn't mind seeing this trio together again.

----

My prediction on what Jalonen does for the next game and probably for the QF as well is same as today before the game began. Which was:

Hartikainen-Manninen-Rantanen
Kakko-Suomela-Kapanen
Pesonen-Lammikko-Armia

I'd be happy with either option, but preferring the suggestion on top. One thing is for sure. Kapanen doesn't deserve the fate of being with Lammikko right now. He's our best forward or minimum second best the whole tournament considered. Only Rantanen could be ahead of him.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Someone mentioned on these forums few weeks ago that apparently Kakko has played with Manninen and Hartikainen before in 2019, so for that reason I wouldn't mind seeing this trio together again.
Hartikainen wasn't involved in 2019. Our first line that year was H.Pesonen-Manninen-Kakko.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Hartikainen wasn't involved in 2019. Our first line that year was H.Pesonen-Manninen-Kakko.

Oh yeah that's right. Well at least Manninen would have some distant memories with Kakko. KHL-Hartikainen wasn't really a NT guy, until last year. Kind of when the international version of KHL died anyways. I should've remembered that.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Switzerland leading 3-1 vs Czechs at the moment. It's a good result for team Finland if the plan is to avoid Switzerland in the QF stage. It seems likely that even an OT loss vs Czechs would be good enough for Switzerland, assuming that they beat Latvia, which is quite good team at home this year. So basically Switzerland is allowed to let 2 goals in and go to OT with Czechs now as long as they beat beat Latvia on regular time.

The only thing that could set up FIN-SUI after that is if Denmark takes a lot of of points from both Finland & Sweden, which is quite unlikely, although Denmark as well is a good team. To overtake Finland at group's #3 position Denmark would need an OT or regular time win from Sweden and a regular time win from Finland, so 5 points and keep Finland at 0 points. It's very unlikely that it would happen.

Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden

In case I missed it if it was mentioned here earlier.. Rantanen talked Kakko into coming. I would love to see an NHL line to be tried, but I guess the lines are set this late.

Kakko - Rantanen - Armia
Suomela - Manninen - Härski
Kapanen - Lammikko - Pesonen
Oksanen - Björninen - Anttila

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Are you talkin' about fussball and the likes of Paris Saint German and Manchester City and their arabs perhaps?!

Icehockey is a minor sport in the whole wide world and you know it.

Even if Russia (and Fasel) cry as dead babies coz they are left out.

What a f*** i just read?
This has to be thickest bullshit what i'm ever read in my lifetime.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
That FIN-DEN game could be totally meaningless for both teams, in case SWE beats DEN and GER beats FRA, which is the most probable scenario...

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Anyways, for the Czech Vs Canada game, interesting to see if Czech even tries to win as would face Finland in qf 😁😁😁😁
I don't really prefer either, ofc Czechs have Kubalik,. Canada is Canada, no matter who they have on the team, always a tough game. Happy we avoid the Swiss though since Switzerland has been a nightmare for Finland.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
So, Winland cannot move up or down regardless what happens vs DEN tomorrow.

Switzerland is avoided - but it will probably be Canada already in the QF.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Anyways, for the Czech Vs Canada game, interesting to see if Czech even tries to win as would face Finland in qf 😁😁😁😁

With all due respect to USA & SWE being the 1st and 2nd ranked teams of group A, I also think that Finland is the last team that any team in Group B wanted to face in a QF game. Especially when group B's 2nd place team gets rewarded by having to fly to Finland and play their first game in Finland's arena in a QF match, the most important match in the tournament. I'm not saying that CAN or CZE will try to throw the game they are playing vs each other, but I don't think that their coaches will have to give their teams some deep strategical briefing heading into the CZE-CAN game. The message to their teams could be just something like "go have fun in that game and don't get injured".

Reactions: illone84

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
If someone missed it, as expected the lines stayed the same in today's practices as they were when Finland vs Austria game started. Good choice by Jalonen in my opinion. Hopefully all stay healthy in the FIN-DEN match and also hoping that we get to fine tune our PP in this match. Hopefully Denmark takes some penalties.

1. ketju:
Hartikainen-Manninen-Rantanen
Lehtonen-Ohtamaa
2.ketju:
Kakko-Suomela-Kapanen
Määttä-Koivisto
3. ketju:
Pesonen-Lammikko-Armia
Seppälä-Pokka
4. ketju:
Friman-Matinpalo

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
So, Winland cannot move up or down regardless what happens vs DEN tomorrow.

Switzerland is avoided - but it will probably be Canada already in the QF.
Canada out early is good for the tournament, so let's hope they win Czechs and Canadians go home early.

Reactions: illone84

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Expect no mercy - or even lines not changes that much - with Jukka Jalonen at the Finland rodder. No mercy.

Quite nice so - so who am I to even blame him.

The captain of the Finland slow boat hockey that always are goin' forward steady as a big bad steady Viking Line Finland-ferry between Finland - Sweden.
Tournament after tournament - year after year.

In the play offs - then Finland explode!

Action, action.

Just wait and see for some Finland-action folks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad