Team Finland WC 2023

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Looks like Finland could hit the jackpot this year, as some teams like Nashville and Florida seem to drop outta playoffs. As the games are held in Finland and Sweden I assume it will attract the players. Theese players are available:

Forwards:

Barkov
Lundell
Luostarinen
Granlund
Maccelli
Pärssinen
Laine
Armia
Kupari

Defence:

Jokiharju
Välimäki
Määttä
Ristolainen - probably wont get invated.

Goalies:

Saros
Lankinen
Kahkonen
Luukkonen
Korpisalo

Locks would be: Barkov, Lundell, Luostarinen, Granlund. Maccelli, Pärssinen, Laine, Jokiharju, Välimäki, Määttä and Saros.

Reactions: EK47 and Eye of Ra

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Looks like Finland could hit the jackpot this year, as some teams like Nashville and Florida seem to drop outta playoffs. As the games are held in Finland and Sweden I assume it will attract the players. Theese players are available:

Forwards:

Barkov
Lundell
Luostarinen
Granlund
Maccelli
Pärssinen
Laine
Armia
Kupari

Defence:

Jokiharju
Välimäki
Määttä
Ristolainen - probably wont get invated.

Goalies:

Saros
Lankinen
Kahkonen
Luukkonen
Korpisalo

Locks would be: Barkov, Lundell, Luostarinen, Granlund. Maccelli, Pärssinen, Laine, Jokiharju, Välimäki, Määttä and Saros.
Välimäki, Määttä and Maccelli don't have contracts after this season, so doubt we'll see them play for Finland this spring. Games are in Fin and Latvia.

Reactions: jonlin

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Goalies:

Saros
Lankinen
Kahkonen
Luukkonen
Korpisalo
Husso?
------------------
Luostarinen - Barkov - Laine
Granlund - Granlund - Hartikainen
Pärssinen - Lundell - Armia
Sallinen - Björninen - Anttila
Pesonen, Rajala

Lehtonen - Jokiharju
Välimäki - Vatanen
Lindbohm - Kemiläinen
Melart - Pokka

Saros
Husso
Lankinen

Bit unrealistic imo.

Reactions: jaro

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Husso?
------------------
Pesonen, Rajala

Lehtonen - Jokiharju
Välimäki - Vatanen
Lindbohm - Kemiläinen
Melart - Pokka

Saros
Husso
Lankinen

Bit unrealistic imo.
I much rather take Filppula, Suomela, Lammikko, Miro Aaltonen, MaG or even Saarela than Sallinen/Björnine/Anttila/Pesonen.

WildFan887

Feb 12, 2023
Looks like an exciting line up. Looking to see Filppula, he is doing good in Switzerland

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I much rather take Filppula, Suomela, Lammikko, Miro Aaltonen, MaG or even Saarela than Sallinen/Björnine/Anttila/Pesonen.
Filppula is closer to a retirement than a spot in the team. Suomela, Aaltonen & Saarela are not a shut-down line players like Björninen/Anttila/Sallinen and Pesonen can play both top-6/bottom-6 roles, Lammikko is fine but in my fantasy line up there wasn't room for him since Jalonen picks Anttila/Sallinen/Björninen until they retire. Same goes for Suomela, Aaltonen & Saarela, no suitable roles for them since most of the top-9 roles goes to the NHL players. But if we see a wave of declines from North America, then everyone from Europe who has played in EHT this year has a chance to make it. Depending of a role of course.

MaG? He's my 2nd line winger. Granlund - Granlund - Hartikainen = Markus Granlund - Mikael Granlund - Teemu Hartikainen.

Reactions: illone84

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Filppula is closer to a retirement than a spot in the team. Suomela, Aaltonen & Saarela are not a shut-down line players like Björninen/Anttila/Sallinen and Pesonen can play both top-6/bottom-6 roles, Lammikko is fine but in my fantasy line up there wasn't room for him since Jalonen picks Anttila/Sallinen/Björninen until they retire. Same goes for Suomela, Aaltonen & Saarela, no suitable roles for them since most of the top-9 roles goes to the NHL players. But if we see a wave of declines from North America, then everyone from Europe who has played in EHT this year has a chance to make it. Depending of a role of course.

MaG? He's my 2nd line winger. Granlund - Granlund - Hartikainen = Markus Granlund - Mikael Granlund - Teemu Hartikainen.
I get where youre coming from. Filppula has actually been very good this year in Switzerland and is in Top10 scoring while providing pretty good defence. Suomela again is the leading scorer in SHL and has really upped his game. I know Jalonen has a habit picking defence-first player for the 4th, but I would rather see us going with 4 lines that can score.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Husso?
------------------
Pesonen, Rajala

Lehtonen - Jokiharju
Välimäki - Vatanen
Lindbohm - Kemiläinen
Melart - Pokka

Saros
Husso
Lankinen

Bit unrealistic imo.
I don't like to believe it. It would be really nice. Blue and white star power would be wonderful.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I get where youre coming from. Filppula has actually been very good this year in Switzerland and is in Top10 scoring while providing pretty good defence. Suomela again is the leading scorer in SHL and has really upped his game. I know Jalonen has a habit picking defence-first player for the 4th, but I would rather see us going with 4 lines that can score.
Filppula has been like that for last 20 years, it comes down to motivation. He's already won everything in international level and he's a family man, if he decides to play one more year he might take the summer off to heal and prepare. Geneve-Servette is also leading the league, they might march for the championship. Long playoffs series, games every other day, 40-year olds don't recover that fast. He might be pretty worn out and if he wins the championship, i think he will just want to enjoy moment.

Suomela has definitely upped his game but Jalonen is not going to chance his system in a heart beat. Suomela needs to be in min. top-9 role or extra forward, as a "skill reserve"-player but then he won't play many games. But again it depends how many players are coming from North America.

I strongly disagree that 4th line under Jalonen can't score, they might not score much but they score important goals ;)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

Björninen is nothing special in SHL. Tyrväinen is better.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Before drawing any euro players to IIHF worlds roster
i would wait NHL playoffs 1st round end first and see how many players from there comes available.

Especially Rantanen and Lehkonen should be worth of wait.
Same regards to Aho, Teräväinen, Kotkaniemi, Tolvanen and Heiskanen, Lindell, Hakanpää, Hintz.

Colorado's season has been screwed up due to massive injury issues
and absolutely nothing isn't sure for Avalanche they can still miss playoffs and also get eliminated 1st round.

Also possible trades can change situations.
Especially Saros has been mentioned trade rumors and also even Granlund can get traded.
MG64 has had bad season in Nashville so Preds can consider to trade also him if / when Preds miss the playoffs.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
i would wait NHL playoffs 1st round end first and see how many players from there comes available.

Especially Rantanen and Lehkonen should be worth of wait.
Same regards to Aho, Teräväinen, Kotkaniemi, Tolvanen and Heiskanen, Lindell, Hakanpää, Hintz.

Colorado's season has been screwed up due to massive injury issues
and absolutely nothing isn't sure for Avalanche they can still miss playoffs and also get eliminated 1st round.

Also possible trades can change situations.
Especially Saros has been mentioned trade rumors and also even Granlund can get traded.
MG64 has had bad season in Nashville so Preds can consider to trade also him if / when Preds miss the playoffs.
Not sure I'd put the blame for Nashville's struggles on Granlund. The team has been inconsistent but that has more to do with their scorers struggling at times. The games I've seen he has still been one of their better players (though the -16 is puzzling).

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
In terms of players in the Metro Division it looks like there will be several available.

Laine and Korpisalo from Columbus are playing well despite the team's struggles. I don't believe Patrik has ever played in WC - only the World Cup. Korpisalo's injury history might keep him from playing.

The Rangers and Devils look headed to a first round series which means either Haula or Kaako would be available. Like Laine I don't think Haula has ever played in WC, only the World Cup. Kaako, despite the media obsession with him vs Jack Hughes, would be interesting.

An interesting option is Ristolainen with Philadelphia. The Flyers are likely going to miss the playoffs but working with coaches Brad Shaw and John Tortorella he is playing at the highest level of his career.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
In terms of players in the Metro Division it looks like there will be several available.

Laine and Korpisalo from Columbus are playing well despite the team's struggles. I don't believe Patrik has ever played in WC - only the World Cup. Korpisalo's injury history might keep him from playing.

The Rangers and Devils look headed to a first round series which means either Haula or Kaako would be available. Like Laine I don't think Haula has ever played in WC, only the World Cup. Kaako, despite the media obsession with him vs Jack Hughes, would be interesting.

An interesting option is Ristolainen with Philadelphia. The Flyers are likely going to miss the playoffs but working with coaches Brad Shaw and John Tortorella he is playing at the highest level of his career.
Laine played in the world champs the same year he played in the world cup. He was the MVP of the tournie. Played great with Barkov.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Laine played in the world champs the same year he played in the world cup. He was the MVP of the tournie. Played great with Barkov.
Also Haula played in the whc in 2014 and got his jaw broken by Malkin in the GMG - who never even got a penalty for it. Still slightly pissed off about it hahaahhahaha

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Björninen is nothing special in SHL. Tyrväinen is better.
Björninen was a vital member of the Olympic & WHC gold medal teams(+2021 silver medal team) by leading the shut-down line and the first PK unit, against opposition team's best and brightest in every game. Björninen has shut down all the best players in Europe and didn't look out of place against veteran NHL players. Tyrväinen is a great hockey player but defensively and in the faceoff circle, he doesn't come close what Björninen can deliver. And Björninen has out scored Tyrväinen this year 19-14 in 40 games. If Björninen is healthy, there no chance that Jalonen cuts him from the team.
Well JJ did the unthinkble and waited last year, i believe he is going to leave 2 spots open again.
Also Haula played in the whc in 2014 and got his jaw broken by Malkin in the GMG - who never even got a penalty for it. Still slightly pissed off about it hahaahhahaha
Don't remind me, the corrupted dentist and his amateur referee's cost us the gold medal.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Happy that Olli Määttä signed a 2 year deal today. Hope to watch him in the skoda cup in Tampere and Riga.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Pesonen - Ma.Granlund - Hartikainen
Ruotsalainen - Suomela - Rajala
Innala - Lammikko - Armia
Leino, Ojamäki

Lehtonen - Jokiharju
Lindbohm - Kemiläinen
Ohtamaa - Pokka
Niku - Saarijärvi

Säteri - Larmi - Lehtinen

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Happy that Olli Määttä signed a 2 year deal today. Hope to watch him in the skoda cup in Tampere and Riga.
I wasn't happy at all! I really wanted the Oilers to trade for him. Seems like he stabilizes everyone he plays with. He's a beaut! But not on my team.lol

• Haha
Reactions: illone84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad