Hartikainen - Manninen - Kapanen

Why not try vs Hungary this top 6:

Hartikainen-Manninen-Pesonen
Kakko-Rantanen-Armia

Last edited:

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
What I'm seeing is that MRantanen does not have chemistry with Manninen (yet, hopefully)
- and there' s no other centers that click with him as well (no time to try out all possibilities)

Just try Rantanen as a center in the next 2 games - might be a genius move

Kakko-Rantanen-Armia - try this!

Reactions: jj cale

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Lines needs a change:
13 F & 7 D against Hungary
Rantanen - Suomela - Armia

Why not try vs Hungary this top 6:

Hartikainen-Manninen-Pesonen
Kakko-Rantanen-Armia
I did though about trying Rantanen in the middle since likes to drive the line but Rantanen probably could Suomela get back in groove.

Kakko likes to be on the puck a lot, i wouldn't put him with Rantanen. I would look for a straight forward players.

Against Hungary, Rantanen as a center:
Pesonen - Rantanen - Armia
Kakko - Suomela - Merelä
Sallinen - Björninen - Oksanen
Anttila

I would go with 13 F and 7 D from now on, Anttila is still good on PK. But my god the years are showing on 5-on-5

Reactions: Mestaruus

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Finland beat France simply because Finland has too much routine of winning. Even when things look difficult, they manage to find the ways to win against the opponents they should be winning. But will it be enough to beat those who provide more of a challenge?

I'd like to see some line changes too. Right now, it feels like Rantanen - and Kakko too - goes a bit to a waste. As a related issue, the PP looks somewhat more than just a little dysfunctional. 3 goals out of 10 opportunities is not the stat of a successful team. And the one PP goal they potted today was all Manninen-Hartikainen interplay, while Rantanen played a second fiddle.

What I would do:

Armia - Rantanen - Kakko
Pesonen - Lammikko - Sallinen (or Merelä, if you want to give him some games)
Oksanen - Björninen - Anttila

This would also lead into a natural fix for the PP units by swapping Rantanen and Kapanen around, as it'd give the Manninen unit a right-handed shot.

Reactions: THE JAM

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
I think that our team Finnish Lions is heading nicely towards the final victory and local celebrations in the fountain! Against team France a very nice and solid performance which is going to help our way towards the playing offs for sure.

Reactions: THE JAM

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Kapanen Rantanen Armia
Pesonen Manninen Hartikainen
Sallinen Lammikko Kakko
Oksanen Bjorninen Antilla

Would be my lines.
yep, why not give it a try for 2 periods of the next game
- but if it does not click, try Kakko up to the 1st line and Kapanen moves down to the 3rd line

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Oh boy ill tell ya, if we still manage to win the gold, even this time around, Jukka Jalonen haves to head coach one of the NHL teams next season.
Jalonen is to Hockey, what Pep Guardiola is to Football.

Reactions: mattihp

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I hate so much to say this but i have to.
It would be so right for these overhyped dudes to get eliminated in quarterfinal.
That would force liitto to react those brutal results what our national teams have got this season.

National team coaching in every age group ( boys, girls, mens and womens )
Prospect production and player development
All juniors leagues ( U20 SM sarja, U18 SM sarja, U16 SM sarja )
SM liiga and Mestis

All these needs big rebuild and update to 2020 century.
only way to get those changes happen is that Leijonat don't win anymore.

So long when Leijonat wins nothing won't change.
Liitto already lives in fantasy world where only what really matters
is that money comes in from doors and windows and everyone has fun.

Harri Nummela and all his kiss my sauna friends needs to get fired.
Liitto lacks real hockey boss who knows his job.

Nummela is only bank world business manager clown who doesn't know jackshit about hockey.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Lines needs a change:
13 F & 7 D against Hungary

Rantanen - Suomela - Armia
Kakko - Sallinen - Merelä
Oksanen - Björninen - Pesonen
Anttila

Lehtonen - Ohtamaa
Määttä - Matinpalo
Koivisto - Pokka
Seppälä

Heljanko
Larmi

Lammikko, Friman, Olkinuora (healthy scratch)

Heljanko a starter. Tappara bias, come on :). I don't know if our starter should be Larmi or Olkinuora. Larmi sometimes overplays situations, but sometimes he makes some really good saves. Also I'm not convinced about Larmi in shootouts. Larmi has never proved himself in the NT in a game of death type situation and that worries me. He's just proven himself in the SHL finals. That's probably the most pressure he's ever faced in hockey matches so far during his career. If I have to guess Larmi is probably considered to be a lock as our starter by our coaching staff still.

As you, I'd be open about going with 7 D-men. Going with 13 forwards could be more useful so we could have forward line changes inside games. Merelä could be interesting case being dressed as a 13th forward and then having his chance inside a game if Jalonen feels like trying that. Also if we aren't sure about Suomela being healthy, 13th forward could be useful for that reason as well.

Why 7 defenders? Because it feels like there's something wrong with the defenders. Well it is the lack of good puck movers, but let Jalonen indentify the weakest link of the defenders and sideline that player. I wonder if it was a mistake to leave Saarijärvi out of this team? Leaving Kemiläinen out was the right move though, as he surprisingly looked very bad in the practice matches. Maybe Kemiläinen's belly got full after the Liiga championship or so. So maybe he was mentally on summer vacation already.

SantosHalper has a pretty nice lines there and it could electrify many lines or it could make things really messy as well. I think that there's higher chance that it would make things little bit better, but changing the lines now and testing them vs weaker countries is very risky. We don't get real data, such that would be guaranteed to work vs top countries. We could get a QF exit when we get a reality check against a top country in the QF game. It might be better to just trust that the lines will deliver later and trust the process and do minimal changes.

For the above reasons I doubt that Jalonen makes too big changes with the forward lines. One change could indeed be having Suomela back in after his lingering small injury. Suomela said in an interview yesterday that he's had this same issue bothering him during SHL season as well. I think it was in MTV3's morning broadcast's Tulosruutu program. Suomela also said something like he will be playing soon. To me it sounded like a very confident answer where he didn't even question about his spot in the line up. I think that Jalonen will insert Suomela back in as soon as Suomela gives green light. It would be easy to have him return now when the lines could use some tweaking. It would also be nice if our PP2 unit would have a center.

Anyways, back to the point. The max amount of changes I see Jalonen doing with the forward lines would be to bring Suomela back in and swapping one winger with another winger inside the lines and that's the absolute max I see Jalonen doing. I think that Jalonen will do less changes than that, so very minimal changes. Most likely Hartikainen-Manninen-Rantanen stays untouched. Changing this line would most likely mean that the PP1 would have to be changed as well, so I don't see Jalonen doing that, because it would be throwing out chemistry creation out of the window. Jalonen most likely believes in the building process of that chemistry creation and that chemistry delivering results in the games that matter. I think that max change for PP1 unit is 1 player going out and 1 player in, but it's most likely 0 changes to that unit.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
This is what I'd probably do at this point. Pesonen-Suomela-Kapanen was good in the practice games, so compared to the previous game vs France, only the center would change from Lammikko to Suomela and this line would be the 2nd line. Not the third line.

I think that Jalonen is quite happy with our PK units, so for that reason Lammikko won't go outside the line up. Can't sideline Mörkö now that he even produced some points in the previous game. Se the second PK unit is still Lammikko + Oksanen. Armia or Kakko replaces Sallinen in the PP1 unit. Armia as a rightie and not as puck needy as Kakko could be a better fit in the PP1 unit, because we need the puck in Rantanen's and Manninen's hands as much as possible. Kakko can get more puck in his hands in the second PP unit.

Hartikainen-Manninen-Rantanen
Pesonen-Suomela-Kapanen
Armia-Lammikko-Kakko
Oksanen-Björninen-Anttila

13th forward: Sallinen

As SantosHalper, I'd go with 7D & 13F. Sallinen could be a back up for Suomela inside the game if Suomela's injury affects his game too much and of course Sallinen can replace any of the wingers as well if Jalonen wants to do some testing. However testing is weird when the opponents aren't top countries. I'm not happy with the tournament schedule of Finland at all. The only silverlining is that Denmark as the last opponent is pretty good, but it's not a top-7 country either. It will be a close and tight game like vs GER & FRA, because most likely Denmark has a lot on the line in that game as well. Denmark is battling for a QF spot and I'm not sure that they have secured it before the Finland game. Actually tonight is Germany vs Denmark game. A very interesting game.

Reactions: illone84

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
X,Y,Z ...

Changin' times.

Or rather lines.

But as Jukka Jalonen is stuborn and proud as a Finland standin' lion he will stand still.

Anyway; 'ere goes:

The tandems:

Manninen - Hartikainen

Suomela - Oksanen

Lammikko - Kapanen

Björninen - Anttila

Misters X,Y and Z can move up and down the line.

Meaning that even Rantanen can make a secret round the rendez-vous down the line. Harri Pesonen is a merry go round Worldchampion person/player and should be moved up, up and yes up and that as high as only possible.
Workhorse and everything man Sallinen down south to the fourth line to stand up and rock steady. Young Kakko has to step up; so play up in the third line. So Rantanen "must" play with that maybe not too sexy IK Oskarhamns duo of Suomela - Oksanen in my book, that is.
Joel Armia out.

And I really would want to see Tappara-guys Wallteri Merelä and goalie Heljanko in live action.

But that's just me ...

Reactions: mattihp

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Most likely Hartikainen-Manninen-Rantanen stays untouched. Changing this line would most likely mean that the PP1 would have to be changed as well, so I don't see Jalonen doing that, because it would be throwing out chemistry creation out of the window.
Härski - Manninen has chemistry but i don't see with them and Rantanen. Rantanen is just so skilled so he can work anyone. Games against Hungary and Austria is good time to try different PP units.

PP1
Pesonen - net front
Kakko - slot
Armia - wall, left
Rantanen - wall, right
Lehtonen - point

PP2
Merelä - net front
Hartikainen - slot/"office"
Kapanen - wall, left
Manninen - wall, right
Määttä - point
----------------------
Rantanen, Hartikainen and Kakko should be in different line on 5-5, too similar styles.
I wonder if it was a mistake to leave Saarijärvi out of this team?
Saarijärvi was injured, otherwise he would be on the team.

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
I hate so much to say this but i have to.
It would be so right for these overhyped dudes to get eliminated in quarterfinal.
That would force liitto to react those brutal results what our national teams have got this season.

National team coaching in every age group ( boys, girls, mens and womens )
Prospect production and player development
All juniors leagues ( U20 SM sarja, U18 SM sarja, U16 SM sarja )
SM liiga and Mestis

All these needs big rebuild and update to 2020 century.
only way to get those changes happen is that Leijonat don't win anymore.

So long when Leijonat wins nothing won't change.
Liitto already lives in fantasy world where only what really matters
is that money comes in from doors and windows and everyone has fun.

Harri Nummela and all his kiss my sauna friends needs to get fired.
Liitto lacks real hockey boss who knows his job.

Nummela is only bank world business manager clown who doesn't know jackshit about hockey.
Are you talkin' about fussball and the likes of Paris Saint German and Manchester City and their arabs perhaps?!

Icehockey is a minor sport in the whole wide world and you know it.

Even if Russia (and Fasel) cry as dead babies coz they are left out.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Härski - Manninen has chemistry but i don't see with them and Rantanen. Rantanen is just so skilled so he can work anyone. Games against Hungary and Austria is good time to try different PP units.

PP1
Pesonen - net front
Kakko - slot
Armia - wall, left
Rantanen - wall, right
Lehtonen - point

PP2
Merelä - net front
Hartikainen - slot/"office"
Kapanen - wall, left
Manninen - wall, right
Määttä - point
----------------------
Rantanen, Hartikainen and Kakko should be in different line on 5-5, too similar styles.

Saarijärvi was injured, otherwise he would be on the team.

I don't disagree with that, but it is Jalonen and now once again we saw how minimal changes he did. He really believes in the long term process. Just Pesonen went to PP1 as Sallinen is not playing.

It's nice that Jalonen gave Merelä a shot, but there's no way that he will actually replace Oksanen in the line up going forward. I think that they test Merelä if him and Oksanen could be in the line up at the same time and on different lines, but it is unlikely that they both would be there at the same time. Maybe they give Merelä a chance now if some injury happens to someone, so Merelä would be more ready then. Merelä has to play really well though to be ahead of Sallinen in the hierarchy. It's a really tough task knowing how much Jalonen values Sallinen.

Okay interesting. I didn't know that Saarijärvi actually got injured. I thought that he got kicked out.

Actually no one posted this here yet. The lines in the practice today were:

Teemu Hartikainen – Sakari Manninen – Mikko Rantanen
Joel Armia – Antti Suomela – Kaapo Kakko
Harri Pesonen – Juho Lammikko – Kasperi Kapanen
Waltteri Merelä – Hannes Björninen – Marko Anttila

Mikko Lehtonen – Atte Ohtamaa
Olli Määttä – Miika Koivisto
Mikael Seppälä – Ville Pokka
Niklas Friman – Nikolas Matinpalo

Pesonen in PP1 replaced Sallinen. Looks like Merelä + Lammikko is the second PK pair.

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I would prefer Kapanen sitting. He is of no use when not scoring. Rajala would have been better on that line as he at least draws the attention of the opponents.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
No finns missing the good old days when Finland was the most physical team in the world with lots of hitting?

Pakarinen - Mäenalanen - Komarov
Sallinen - Lammiko - Anttilla
Tikka - Tyvräinen - Merelä
Liukas - J.Lajunen - Huuhtanen

Niemelainen - Hakanpää
Mikkola - Ristolainen
Lindbohm - Melart

Larmi (he seems to have hot temper)

In honor of Ruutu brothers and Ville Nieminen.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
No finns missing the good old days when Finland was the most physical team in the world with lots of hitting?

Pakarinen - Mäenalanen - Komarov
Sallinen - Lammiko - Anttilla
Tikka - Tyvräinen - Merelä
Liukas - J.Lajunen - Huuhtanen

Niemelainen - Hakanpää
Mikkola - Ristolainen
Lindbohm - Melart

Larmi (he seems to have hot temper)

In honor of Ruutu brothers and Ville Nieminen.

You mean do we miss the days when our team took stupid penalties one after another and melted every time when it mattered? No we dont. Bu I guess we are soon returning to that.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Hey, we finally saw some lineup shakeup from Jalonen. Armia and Kapanen swapped places - and it seemed to produce some spark to both lines. Also, Suomela > Sallinen.

I still don't know what to make of Rantanen with Manninen and Härski. Well, it was some great individual effort from the Moose in the 3rd (against an obviously gassed opponent), but that still doesn't mean the line functions as a whole. But I guess there's little to do but pray they're gonna click, as Jalonen obviously won't touch the line.

Next up, Austria same time tomorrow. I have to bring it up because they're playing Germany on the late game tonight, leaving them less than 20 hours to prepare. That's a brutal schedule - no elite country would accept it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad