WC: Team Finland 2019 men's World Championships roster talk

member 305909

I guess people would have a different attitude towards this competition if Finland had won it more than twice. Finland could easily have 4-5 titles instead of only two. After all, the shoot-out defeat in the 1994 final and the two over-time final defeats in 1999 and 2001 could have gone the other way as well.

The other five final-defeats for Finland have been losses against better teams, no excuses there.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I guess people would have a different attitude towards this competition if Finland had won it more than twice. Finland could easily have 4-5 titles instead of only two. After all, the shoot-out defeat in the 1994 final and the two over-time final defeats in 1999 and 2001 could have gone the other way as well.

The other five final-defeats for Finland have been losses against better teams, no excuses there.
1995-2011 was a long time no doubt.

Reactions: Koijari

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Screenshot_20190525-103126__01.jpg

Well that didn't work out :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I hope these are not the lines you wanna see when playing best on best. You listed four finnish players before Barkov. Should not happen.

Finland has never won anything with Barkov, would only have made this team worse.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Hakanpaa, Kaski, Lindbohm, Ohtamaa and Mikkola all over 190cm and can skate. When is the last time Finland had this kind of defense on WHC? Add Jokiharju and Lehtonen who's playing like Lepisto 2.0

Reactions: Ippenator

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I had an interesting discussion with a Finnish friend of mine after the game. Sometimes having dominant players in European leagues might be more effective than depth options in NHL. The latter are used to not having time, having to rush decisions, and play a simple game. Even though they might be better than most players in other leagues, their instincts are simplified. Meanwhile, the top players in other leagues are used to carry their own every time they are on the ice. I think you can see that in Team Finland. Their players are comfortable with their skill, they don't panic when put in a difficult position. They showed amazing patience.

Watching someone like Hakanpää showing tons of patience under pressure, creating space for himself and making a way-winning play afterwards is just amazing. He's probably a worse defender than someone like Pettersson, but he actually utilize his skill set. Having a team full of that might still be short of gamebreaking talent, but the overall play might be good enough to go far. And deserve it too.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
We're the underdogs against the mighty Canada. Can't say I hate it, but it kind of sucks that Canada didn't have to work in the semifinal match harder than that.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
It has been entertaining as hell to watch this team play as a Finn. They never give up, never surrender. Game isn't over until it is. They work and work until they get what they were looking for. No big names, no stars aside from Jukka Jalonen. Just a team full of heart.

This is not at all what people expected from this team. Most Finns thought we won't make the quarterfinal. I thought we do but that's it.

Reactions: king89 and Koijari

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
It has been entertaining as hell to watch this team play as a Finn. They never give up, never surrender. Game isn't over until it is. They work and work until they get what they were looking for. No big names, no stars aside from Jukka Jalonen. Just a team full of heart.

This is not at all what people expected from this team. Most Finns thought we won't make the quarterfinal. I thought we do but that's it.
I've never seen grit like this. It's so beautiful watch.

Reactions: king89 and FinPanda

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
I really fell in love with your team this year as they are playing their hearts out! Finland's performances have really been incredible, against all odds. All players are fighting and supporting each other and the team seems to be perfectly coached by Jukka.

I really want Finland to win gold tomorrow, so I will be rooting for them!

Työnnän peukalot! (or something like that :thumbu:)

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
I really fell in love with your team this year as they are playing their hearts out! Finland's performances have really been incredible, against all odds. All players are fighting and supporting each other and the team seems to be perfectly coached by Jukka.

I really want Finland to win gold tomorrow, so I will be rooting for them!

Työnnän peukalot! (or something like that :thumbu:)

That would be "työnnän peukalon perseeseen" :sarcasm::sarcasm:

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Another winter war on ice won. There's nothing that can stop this unbreakable machine called Leijonat.

SISU PERKELE
the winters can be harsh in Canada... but just like the Finns... we've adapted to the cold.... this tournament has proved that...
lets hope for a back and forth war on ice tomorrow...
Good luck Finland! may the best team win!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad